niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After moving to the Oregon coast 2 years ago I haven't found much of anything worth mentioning at the thrift stores around here. That changed last weekend when I finally found a Mexican silver dish at the GW. I paid $4.99 for it and when I got it home and weighed it, the weight is 465.4 grams...14.965 Troy Ounces. Hopefully this is the start of a happy trend of finding silver!

IMG_2148.jpg
IMG_2149.jpg
IMG_2150.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent Glad to see someone else is still out searching other than me. I was beginning to feel like no one else did this kind of treasure hunting technique anymore or they just don't care to share? So many have gone away on this forum. You know, this thing of luck does come along and one of the stranger things is I'll go and unload some of the silver I have for cash pretty much for no reason other than that. I feel a bit of sellers remorse after I do because I like my silver. Then almost instantly the finds start showing up and they're even better and more silver than I just unloaded. It's really strange as that seems to happen every time I let go of a little I end up replacing it with a whole lot more.

Last edited:

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know how the pricers at the TS missed that mark! That being said, my eye wouldn't have been drawn to the style of that piece--I've never seen a big piece of Mexican silver--great find!

Corvus

Jun 15, 2019
MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know how the pricers at the TS missed that mark! That being said, my eye wouldn't have been drawn to the style of that piece--I've never seen a big piece of Mexican silver--great find!
I have. I held two large bowls in my hands at an antique mall. Both had the old eagle mark and the word "plata" but no sterling or 925/950 mark. Laughed at how anyone would pay $12 each for old silverplate. Guess who didn't have Spanish in school *sigh*.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have. I held two large bowls in my hands at an antique mall. Both had the old eagle mark and the word "plata" but no sterling or 925/950 mark. Laughed at how anyone would pay $12 each for old silverplate. Guess who didn't have Spanish in school *sigh*.
This. I have found rare pre-20th century silver from Russia, Europe, the middle east, and other exotic places in people's recycling bins. Some pieces having been clearly acid tested but disposed of anyway because whoever owned them last did not recognize their markings nor understand that less than 90% silver, such as 80% Continental Silver, does NOT register positive in nitric acid silver tests. It is without a doubt in my mind that millions of dollars in some of the rarest and oldest silver gets disposed of in this manner by ignorant people simply because all people recognize these days is .925 and Sterling. There are litterally tens of thosands of silver markings out there and silver qualities ranging from as low as 50% to 100% that could throw off typical testing techniques.

Corvus

Jun 15, 2019
MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a never-ending learning curve on silver. Just distinguishing pseudo-marks is a chore, especially since UK silverplate was often intended to fool consumers even in the mid-1800s. US pre- Civil War coin flatware isn't usually marked so one needs to get a feel for it. Not knowing their tower marks before, I only have some nice Danish pieces as I just liked their design. I bought them as plated.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread