Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
against docs orders But wound reopened and Gonna need surgery soooo...
Went for new gold...ended up with old silver
Its proof that in all metal that CZ21 goes deep if you go slow and in all metal
found at a spot that a handful of hunters here have been to
Most know I hunt out at lows as far out as I can get with mask - shallows are usually clean
100s have hunted this spot 99% hit mostly from waist deep on in - I hunt waist deep to just over my head
going for new gold I decided to hit in closer ...a guy was just leaving that I had met a few yrs ago - he said he got a couple rings
but did not say what they were made of - I had to hope he left something behind - I started at waist deep
and got nothing and headed out as far as i could - tide was 1/2 hr before low
out at chin deep i started gettting recent quarters so i was in zone he did not get out to
I ended up heading back in more shallow getting a stray newer coin now and then - I hunt in all metal and got a whisper of a signal
scooped down just over a foot and hit rocks - solid mostly fist size - long ago this is where the good stuff was...so hopes
were high i had something old .scooped into the rocks (down over a foot) and pulled up Cracker Jacks style whistle - good sign
i cranked sensitivity to full and swung real slow around the area - got 3 more whispers near by that turned out to be wheats.
Got another positive signal in the rocks down deep and was surprised to see large black disc in bottom
of scoop and knew I had a half and if i did not get any gold...at least i got silver. I started to grid area and got more signals that barely went off
I scooped down and saw what looked like a nickel size coin in under rocks in my scoop. Thought it might be a buffalo or V nickel .
Plucked it from scoop and gave it a whipe and saw lines of a shield - wow - Ive gotten indians here in past ...think this was
first shield from here. Not to far away I got another nickel that turned out to be a buffalo. I then hit an area that was pretty silent.
Tide was coing in and I started hitting more shallow - waist to knee deep - area that gets pounded by most that water hunt here. I started getting whisper signals again - signals that i had to go over multiple times cause I was getting like "ghost" readings - Would get something
faint like every third swing. When I get these I will rapidly fan over spot with my boot then recheck - most times
signal will increase and then I will scoop. I did this a couple of times in this area and came up with a silver dime first then 2 silver quarters.
I came in to about knee deep water and got another faint one - dug down over a foot and hit rocks again. I clicked over
to ID mode and got high tone which on CZ21 is good. Took a deep scoop and had some fist size rocks I had to pull . I looked in and saw
brownish large disc - another half! Couldnt believe it. I searched around this hole and a foot away I got a similar sounding
signal...what are the chances? I scooped down over a foot and once again I had scoop full of fist size rocks - I pulled
a few out and saw another large disc - 3 halves...wow. I had to turn around and head back to my GF - we had an appointment
we were just gonna make so I had to call it quits. I have to go back and hit that spot again - I think theres some old gold in there
- definitely has to be a few more old coins.
I got to hit shallows at more of my old spots I guess
I always assume with the amount of hunters that hit here and other spots in the shallows - they are cleaned out -
Dont let spots you know are hammered detere you from trying it - you dont know how they hunt
Ive had tons of spots I shied away from thinking they were clean that I eventually went in and found stuff down deep
most of my old gold youve seen over the yrs are from spots that have been hammered - and items were found over a foot down
lot of the newbies hunt for the new gold and crank there discrim. and try and cover the whole beach in a day
it took me about 3 hrs to hit a 50 yrd by 10 yrd area - slow
I will get some new gold and I will get the old gold if its there
A lot dont care about the old stuff - some of us older guys do.
Good luck if you get out - hope I can get out and have more to show before I get surgery
PS - thing is guys crank their discrim. here - no need - myself and few others try and take all junk out
I got one caked bottle cap - one new one - a new pull tab = a bobby pin = couple of vape pens
and a couple pieces of other junk
I got about 3 times more good than bad
felt great to get out :icon_thumright:
attachment.php

Attachments

• 31569.jpeg
    31569.jpeg
    216 KB · Views: 491
Upvote 29
OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw an old postcard of this beach that shows a small sea plane (not the pontoon kind - boat kind) on shore in area halfs were found
(Ive found like 8 other halfs in this area yrs ago out deeper)
wonder if that couldve been price of a ride

ScoTTT2

Jul 19, 2021
steuben county, ny
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some nice finds there and some real good advice .. I hunt some high profile places where the 'old timers' eventually stop to chat and tell me they hunted it out long ago .. then I show them what they missed .. I'd love to pick your brain on the CZ-21 .. I have jumped into water detecting this year and believe I'm way under machined.

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some nice finds there and some real good advice .. I hunt some high profile places where the 'old timers' eventually stop to chat and tell me they hunted it out long ago .. then I show them what they missed .. I'd love to pick your brain on the CZ-21 .. I have jumped into water detecting this year and believe I'm way under machined.
my main computer crashed - using limited old one
if you go to you tube - search Casper metal detecting and you will find vids - go to older ones - think they will inspire
2012 was a very good yr

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Working those faint whispers....Others hurried past looking for better loud stuff.
I'm certainly no pro , but have watched landhunters race around me . Some with much better equipment that seldom pause to make a recovery among the many signals.
That's o.k. though. At least they are out looking.

Congrats on getting wet again. (Shame on you!).

And congrats on the goodies!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really enjoyed reading your post Casper-2. I give you much credit for your determination to get out to the old stuff. Congrats on all those silvers, especially the three half dollars...outstanding!

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really enjoyed reading your post Casper-2. I give you much credit for your determination to get out to the old stuff. Congrats on all those silvers, especially the three half dollars...outstanding!
Thanks - been missing having something to post and write about
Its amazing how many silver halves Ive found in the water
I have found over 50 sil. halves - mostly from salt water...got a few from fresh
I think I might have found 3 one time before yrs ago at an old R.I. bch
these are from Ct.
Ive found 2 about 10 times :icon_thumright:

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go, as you would say. Nice haul. That shield nickel looks great, and actually looks better than most ones found on land that I have seen posted. Glad you got out there. Good luck with the surgery.

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go, as you would say. Nice haul. That shield nickel looks great, and actually looks better than most ones found on land that I have seen posted. Glad you got out there. Good luck with the surgery.

On land they turn bad - in ocean they come clean _most times
this and others pretty worn - no date
Ive found 5 - 2 on land and 3 from seas
best one is from land - was in purse and other coins protected it

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Glad to hear you got out and thanks for the read. I had a great time. Grats on the keepers and old gold for you next time out (after succesful surgery!)

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything for the day - all earrings and crusty zincs found on way out - earrings are steel
tells me they were discriminated by others = ergo
they lost depth and one reason they could not pick up the deep finds

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt. Congrats. The deeper waters where I hunt tend to be too silted in to hear anything. Closer to the shore the wave action keeps the bottom less silty I assume

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The older stuff that is probably there is too far down below all the silt/mud in the deeper water.
I got a bunch of spots like that too...down the road i want to get a underwater scooter thing and go in and turn it around and blow out some areas
a frien on here is going to try and get an air blower like for car garages and hook up on a side line to hookah to blow out bottom
i had that idea too - using my hookah or hooking up to a scuba tank

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
against docs orders But wound reopened and Gonna need surgery soooo...
Went for new gold...ended up with old silver
Its proof that in all metal that CZ21 goes deep if you go slow and in all metal
found at a spot that a handful of hunters here have been to
Most know I hunt out at lows as far out as I can get with mask - shallows are usually clean
100s have hunted this spot 99% hit mostly from waist deep on in - I hunt waist deep to just over my head
going for new gold I decided to hit in closer ...a guy was just leaving that I had met a few yrs ago - he said he got a couple rings
but did not say what they were made of - I had to hope he left something behind - I started at waist deep
and got nothing and headed out as far as i could - tide was 1/2 hr before low
out at chin deep i started gettting recent quarters so i was in zone he did not get out to
I ended up heading back in more shallow getting a stray newer coin now and then - I hunt in all metal and got a whisper of a signal
scooped down just over a foot and hit rocks - solid mostly fist size - long ago this is where the good stuff was...so hopes
were high i had something old .scooped into the rocks (down over a foot) and pulled up Cracker Jacks style whistle - good sign
i cranked sensitivity to full and swung real slow around the area - got 3 more whispers near by that turned out to be wheats.
Got another positive signal in the rocks down deep and was surprised to see large black disc in bottom
of scoop and knew I had a half and if i did not get any gold...at least i got silver. I started to grid area and got more signals that barely went off
I scooped down and saw what looked like a nickel size coin in under rocks in my scoop. Thought it might be a buffalo or V nickel .
Plucked it from scoop and gave it a whipe and saw lines of a shield - wow - Ive gotten indians here in past ...think this was
first shield from here. Not to far away I got another nickel that turned out to be a buffalo. I then hit an area that was pretty silent.
Tide was coing in and I started hitting more shallow - waist to knee deep - area that gets pounded by most that water hunt here. I started getting whisper signals again - signals that i had to go over multiple times cause I was getting like "ghost" readings - Would get something
faint like every third swing. When I get these I will rapidly fan over spot with my boot then recheck - most times
signal will increase and then I will scoop. I did this a couple of times in this area and came up with a silver dime first then 2 silver quarters.
I came in to about knee deep water and got another faint one - dug down over a foot and hit rocks again. I clicked over
to ID mode and got high tone which on CZ21 is good. Took a deep scoop and had some fist size rocks I had to pull . I looked in and saw
brownish large disc - another half! Couldnt believe it. I searched around this hole and a foot away I got a similar sounding
signal...what are the chances? I scooped down over a foot and once again I had scoop full of fist size rocks - I pulled
a few out and saw another large disc - 3 halves...wow. I had to turn around and head back to my GF - we had an appointment
we were just gonna make so I had to call it quits. I have to go back and hit that spot again - I think theres some old gold in there
- definitely has to be a few more old coins.
I got to hit shallows at more of my old spots I guess
I always assume with the amount of hunters that hit here and other spots in the shallows - they are cleaned out -
Dont let spots you know are hammered detere you from trying it - you dont know how they hunt
Ive had tons of spots I shied away from thinking they were clean that I eventually went in and found stuff down deep
most of my old gold youve seen over the yrs are from spots that have been hammered - and items were found over a foot down
lot of the newbies hunt for the new gold and crank there discrim. and try and cover the whole beach in a day
it took me about 3 hrs to hit a 50 yrd by 10 yrd area - slow
I will get some new gold and I will get the old gold if its there
A lot dont care about the old stuff - some of us older guys do.
Good luck if you get out - hope I can get out and have more to show before I get surgery
PS - thing is guys crank their discrim. here - no need - myself and few others try and take all junk out
I got one caked bottle cap - one new one - a new pull tab = a bobby pin = couple of vape pens
and a couple pieces of other junk
I got about 3 times more good than bad
felt great to get out :icon_thumright:
attachment.php

It may be an optical illusion, but, the large coin up top looks bigger than a half dollar. Have you cleaned it to see what it actually is? The other two look like Walker's.

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may be an optical illusion, but, the large coin up top looks bigger than a half dollar. Have you cleaned it to see what it actually is? The other two look like Walker's.
it just has a slight more cake on it - think its a Barber- can see slight outline of head
i used to clean everything yrs ago - these all just get thrown in my glass display coffee table at the end of the yr with
the rest of my silver coins

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the coin collector in me that would drive me crazy not knowing the date! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread