I found a relic today that sent chills down my spine! Seriously!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Searching an old house foundation today in Albemarle County, Virginia, I dug a very special, unique relic that gave me the chills. I am guessing it is a match box cover, made out of copper, that measures 2.5 inches long x 1.5 inches wide x .875 inches thick. It says WORLD WAR 14 18 on the front and GERM. PRIS. on the back, which I am assuming means GERMAN PRISON. The idea that I am holding a special memento lost by a hero who may well have spent his time in a German Prison gives me a feeling that I can not describe.

Upvote 67
L

l2hunt

Wow, absolutely amazing, congrats on such a wonderful find! The soldier must of been so bummed losing it.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice find,

That is a really neat relic and makes you wonder what someone may have really gone through.

Jer

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This story is just getting better and better. I am always amazed by the history and members research on really neat found items.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi So servicemen on Western Front making trench art or in a POW camp while the war was still going knew when the war was going to end . 1918 is clearly engraved which means this item was not marked until the war was over.
IF this is marked 1914 and the USA first battle was May 28 1918 which trench or German pow are you suggesting ? British made many different patriot items with crown on it as the German did . TP

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool! The emblem is a little bit different, but the concept is the same. Thanks for posting that.. I really appreciate it!
The Crown on yours looks Prussian/German to me.

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! I would call it Trench Art but I'm not sure what to call it if it was made in a POW Camp.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I would call it Trench Art but I'm not sure what to call it if it was made in a POW Camp.
It's my understanding that when this happens, its still sold under the same broad category. (Pretty common that items got made in POW camps) In the Napoleonic British POW camps, some made more money selling their items than they would in their previous careers. Records show that some made up-to £1000 by the time they were released. A huge sum at the beginning of the 19th C.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
It's my understanding that when this happens, its still sold under the same broad category. (Pretty common that items got made in POW camps) In the Napoleonic British POW camps, some made more money selling their items than they would in their previous careers. Records show that some made up-to £1000 by the time they were released. A huge sum at the beginning of the 19th C.

Interesting information, Cru .. What or who was the market at the time? I didn't realize that prisoners were allowed to profit.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting information, Cru .. What or who was the market at the time? I didn't realize that prisoners were allowed to profit.
The Market was right next to/in the Camp, they could purchase & sell things:
https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1006782

''A market, in which prisoners could purchase local produce or sell craft items, was held in the enclosed space at the east gate''

I've often wondered how this would work, because it's very possible that some made more money than the poorly paid Guards & how did you protect all that money in a Prison. They must have had gangs with a similar set up as today.:dontknow:

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that’s a sweet find. Congrats!

swimmer

Oct 13, 2004
St Helens OR
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Might be from a German POW held in the US. German POW's worked on farms through the Eastern Seaboard during WW2. My dad was captured in Italy and spent a few years near and at Ft Gordon GA......where I went to MP school in the early 70's while in the US army. My dad was in the Luftwaffe.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you all for looking, sharing your thoughts, and for all the nice replies. :hello:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1918 is clearly engraved which means this item was not marked until the war was over.. TP
Not necessarily since the war didn't end until November 1918, although I also believe it is slightly post war.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions