Here is the before photo
Screen Shot 2023-03-18 at 9.12.51 PM.jpg

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found all the gravestones there were to find, with the last one being found yesterday afternoon. I got it set, seeded and strawed the area, and although the wind blew the straw around last night, this pretty much concludes my cemetery restoration project, except for cleaning the stones when warm weather gets here to stay. View attachment 2074135
I do not quite know what to say, Mister Creskol The world and USA are lucky to have you in the USA !!! THANK YOU SO MUCH for all your work. You have no idea how much I appreciate you and what you do 1! I VOTE you for BANNER MEMBER !!!! Is there anything i can do to help you ?

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know the rules of treasurenet regarding honorable mentions but I think this qualifies, not sure how to vote on it:icon_scratch:
Thank you .. I appreciate that. Since it has been almost a year in the making, and I posted the updates as I went along, the "happenings" have probably become too fragmented for TreasureNet to consider that as an option. But I do appreciate your kind words.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I tip my hat at this unselfish act of kindness in restoring the plots of many that have been forgotten.
Followed your adventure for sometime, and I was some shocked at fact that you funded this project out of your own pocket.
Your project looks bigger than the following example.

In my township there's a cemetery that the local historians refurbished to a point.
Stood up stones, repaired some, cleaned up the site.
Donations were made to help offset some the expenses.

Just reading in the local rag that there was a bid tender put out by the local municipality to restore the rest.
(Not sure what that included for tender)
1 bid from a company $60K for above ground work-$90K for the part buried
The amount that was budgeted was $30K

Bioheat1969

Jan 1, 2021
Dudley, MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd love to know the full back story onthis, do you have a link to a thread that tells it?

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd love to know the full back story onthis, do you have a link to a thread that tells it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Those links may not be in chronological order, but I think that is all of them.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, hard to believe the church let it get that overgrown. Well done sir. Very honorable mention.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, hard to believe the church let it get that overgrown. Well done sir. Very honorable mention.
Thank you very much. Historically, this has been a black church, with many members being quite poor. The church's congregation is dwindling dramatically today - I think there are now only 30 or so members, and only about half of them are active in the church. Sad..

igloo777

Jun 25, 2020
Detector(s) used
Fisher ID Excel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the additional photos. The comparison between the before and after really showcases your effort. Well done, sir.

We have a very old cemetery across the street from us that my wife and I often take walks through. The oldest stone I've found is from someone buried in 1760, though many other stones (literally just pieces of slate) appear to be completely eroded or may have been unmarked. Many of the stones are in pretty bad shape, as are the grounds itself (grass is cut, but not much beyond that). The cemetery extends to the other side of the road, and on that side, my wife and I encountered displaced stones buried under a huge fill bank. My guess is their original locations or the engraved names have been lost to history so the church just discarded them. Another point of interest is the stone wall of a neighboring property, which is quite obviously at least partially made of marble stones. It's an old wall, not something constructed recently.

It's a large church in a fair affluent area with an appreciation of history. I don't understand how cemeteries end up like this. I guess there just isn't the money available.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the additional photos. The comparison between the before and after really showcases your effort. Well done, sir.

We have a very old cemetery across the street from us that my wife and I often take walks through. The oldest stone I've found is from someone buried in 1760, though many other stones (literally just pieces of slate) appear to be completely eroded or may have been unmarked. Many of the stones are in pretty bad shape, as are the grounds itself (grass is cut, but not much beyond that). The cemetery extends to the other side of the road, and on that side, my wife and I encountered displaced stones buried under a huge fill bank. My guess is their original locations or the engraved names have been lost to history so the church just discarded them. Another point of interest is the stone wall of a neighboring property, which is quite obviously at least partially made of marble stones. It's an old wall, not something constructed recently.

It's a large church in a fair affluent area with an appreciation of history. I don't understand how cemeteries end up like this. I guess there just isn't the money available.
Thank you very much. I have always thought an Adopt a Cemetery program of some sort would be neat, but since most of them are private, I guess that wouldn't work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread