Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys, I just got done telling one of my hunting buddies that I dont believe the guys who post that they find all those rings :) I can see finding a few rings. I have found thousands of coins and artifacts but not 1 ring and I dig up everything. "Boy did I just find a ring" :)lol lol
It was about 6 in. deep under 2 big roots and was 3 in. lower than the old crotal bell which I found about 2 ft. away from the spot where I found the ring. I'm not gonna clean it yet my friend is coming over with his digital camera tomorrow so I can get better pics. I also found 3 pewter buttons, 2 half dollar sized buckles, and some other artifacts. If you know what the buckles are or anything about those pewter buttons please message me. The ring is gold with five large emeralds, I havnt cleaned it yet so I dont know if there are other stones between the emeralds, It was very deep in an area were I was only finding old stuff I cant wait to find out more about it. J.D. p.s. I know nothing about jewelry so if you have any suggetions about the ring please post :)

Upvote 0
F

fueller

Great finds

Awesome, J.D. I'm sure you will get some good replys about cleaning the ring. I've read a lot about what to do with coins, but I'll take a stab at cleaning a gold ring. First, like coins, stay away from any abrasive cleaners. You need to knock out the main dirt plug first, you might use something made out of plastic, not metal as you might scratch or ding it. If that scares you, put it in a water bath overnight and loosen up the dirt it should come right out then. After the main plug of dirt is gone soak it in warm water for a time to loosen the dirt and then I would get a jar of jewel cleaner that has an enclosed soft brush and use that brush and a mild soap (not the jewel cleaner) to take off the rest off the dirt. With that brush you can also clean between the stones. When that's all done, look for a number inside the band (not sure what the number for gold is, silver is 925 or 924 but if it's gold then there should be a number unless the ring is very old). Real gold should clean up easily, so your main worry is to avoid scratching the ring. When it's as clean and shiny as you wish, then (my own suggestion) I would dip it in the jewel cleaner cut with about 25% distilled water, if you think that's overkill then dip it in the jewel cleaner full strength and wipe dry with a very soft cloth. Good luck, hope it's real gold and real emeralds. After cleaning, if you still feel it's something good, take it in and get it appraised.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi j.d.,
Man I wish I was hunting where you hunt! Chiz is one lucky guy to have gone there with you. The ring is no problem. It's really hard to do damage to gold rings when they are real and you are careful. One thing I would suggest. Don't put this ring in a sonnicator (ie: sonic water bath at most jewelry stores) until you find out what the stones are. They could also be green garnets. I wouldn't be surprised if some small diamonds show up in between the knuckles of this ring. Just put it in water for about 5 minutes maybe 10 if the dirt is real hard. If it's still hard soak it overnight in straight water. Loosen any dirt with an old toothbrush.
Once you get it to this point, use about 1/3 ammonia to 2/3 water and let it soak for about 20 minutes, then scrub with your toothbrush again dipping it back and forth in between scrubbing between the water rinse and the ammonia/water mix. You won't scratch anything. Put up a few pics of the ring after you get it cleaned. And yes......., we do get lucky every once in a while with finding a lot of gold/silver rings at once. See my post under todays finds ("My weekend finds"). I found 3 or four gold rings in one 7 hr period. Sure is nice when you hear that rattle in your scoop! Wish I was close enough to get back where you are. I have relatives who live in the Pochanos (sp?) near a ski area called Elk Mountain in PA.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could also be Tourmalines. Should consider having the stones tested by a repudible gemologist before having someone tell you they are worthless.

Chiz

Mar 26, 2003
New Jersey....
Sigh... I didn't make it, had to work, grrrrrrr... he did it all by himself, LOL. We will find stuff today tho, I had to break out the Garrett! Whites on the left... Garrett on the right....

Congrats JD!

8)

PS. I will be renting out JD for anyone interested, he doesn't know it yet, but after I knock him silly he will be available, I'll let you all know...

Chiz

Mar 26, 2003
New Jersey....
Yea, I know Fred, hmmmmm... LOL... But when you work for the "3 letter" people, you have to take it in stride sometimes.

8)

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Most dirt will fall off gold real easily when immersed in water. I'm not sure I'd use ammonia for any jewelry cleaning-- it can dissolve precious metals (at least to some extent- maybe enough to frost the polish) and leave pits if there is corrosion involved. An old toothbrush works wonders, along with a mild dish soap. Nice find!

Attachments

• 2012-08-19 11.59.44.jpg
    2012-08-19 11.59.44.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 2012-08-19 12.21.26.jpg
    2012-08-19 12.21.26.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 34

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most liquid jewelry cleaners sold in stores are just ammonia and water, and though it may dissolve something, how much is it going to dissolve in a few seconds of scrubbing an rinsing with water? Chlorine will dissolve gold, but I don't think a little ammonia and water will do anything.

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ammonia actually creates a soluble 'complex' with noble metals. It won't show much for a quick dip if the metal is solid and the ammonia is dilute, but plated items will deteriorate with ammonia, in my experience-- a plated gold ring I had developed cracks and the base metal started showing. I wouldn't use it on a silver coin that has much value, either. I put a tarnished grey quarter in ammonia once and it frosted right up.

Attachments

• 100_3974.JPG
    100_3974.JPG
    497.3 KB · Views: 25
  • photo copy 6.JPG
    photo copy 6.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 100_3929.JPG
    100_3929.JPG
    538.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 100_3945.JPG
    100_3945.JPG