Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I found what I think is a coffee percolator in an old one room school house in Pa. It holds 4 cups water although it says 6? Anyone ever seen one of these and I think it’s missing something?

Upvote 12

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it's a coffee percolator because there's no spout and all the ones I saw growing up didn't have that many "levels", if it is a percolator it would be at least missing the "basket", all the ones from when I was growing up had a basket on a tube, you put the coffee grounds in the basket and when the water started boiling the water would go up the tube and out into the basket draining through the coffee grounds, the "percolating" noise was when the water came out the tube in spurts making the noise which could be seen in the glass portion of the lid.

What it look more like to me is a small "double boiler", you put water in the lower section and stuff like chocolate or cheese in the upper section to heat/melt it without burning it, it's also used for making delicate sauces which burn easily, albeit all double boilers I have seen have handles for each section which this doesn't have.

Last edited:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like there should be a STRAINER cap that goes over the Coffee holder

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't think it's a coffee percolator because there's no spout and all the ones I saw growing up didn't have that many "levels", if it is a percolator it would be at least missing the "basket", all the ones from when I was growing up had a basket on a tube, you put the coffee grounds in the basket and when the water started boiling the water would go up the tube and out into the basket draining through the coffee grounds, the "percolating" noise was when the water came out the tube in spurts making the noise which could be seen in the glass portion of the lid.

What it look more like to me is a small "double boiler", you put water in the lower section and stuff like chocolate or cheese in the upper section to heat/melt it without burning it, it's also used for making delicate sauces which burn easily, albeit all double boilers I have seen have handles for each section which this doesn't have.
The second photo shows there's holes in the bottom of the large unit as well.
It's an insert for another unit for sure.

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT

Think AU is right. I’d think the part with holes is the steamer component.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Missing a handle. Must work like the stovetop expresso makers somehow? Any brand name?

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you have there are the ‘Drip-o-Lator” parts from a vintage “WearEver” stovetop coffee set. I believe it’s model #968, sold as a seven-piece set until the 1950s, comprising Percolator/Drip-O-Lator/Coffee Pot. The lid fitted the Drip-O-Lator as well as the pot, but only the pot itself had a handle and drip-spout.

I think you’ll find the lid is an exact match:

WearEver1.jpg WearEver2.jpg

“WearEver” cookware was launched in 1903 as a vehicle to promote the use of aluminium in new markets by the Aluminum Company of America (ALCOA). [Note English spelling of aluminium and that there is no such substance as “aloominum” outside America :laughing7:]. Initially sold door-to-door by college students and then as direct-to-customer-delivery. The use of a Phillips head screw to secure the finial on the lid puts it no earlier than the second half of the 1930s.

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you have there are the ‘Drip-o-Lator” parts from a vintage “WearEver” stovetop coffee set. I believe it’s model #968, sold as a seven-piece set until the 1950s, comprising Percolator/Drip-O-Lator/Coffee Pot. The lid fitted the Drip-O-Lator as well as the pot, but only the pot itself had a handle and drip-spout.

View attachment 2035209 View attachment 2035210

“WearEver” cookware was launched in 1903 as a vehicle to promote the use of aluminium in new markets by the Aluminum Company of America (ALCOA). [Note English spelling of aluminium and that there is no such substance as “aloominum” outside America :laughing7:]. Initially sold door-to-door by college students and then as direct-to-customer-delivery. The use of a Phillips head screw to secure the finial on the lid puts it no earlier than the second half of the 1930s.
Red-Coat nailed it, here's a photo showing the "basket/strainer/tube" part that I mentioned in my previous reply.

il_680x540.2185582435_qqlf.jpg

schreib69

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2035209 View attachment 2035210

just one thing remains: The conundrum over why it measures out as only 4 cups but "says" 6.
Answer: At some point in time the coffee companies decided to change the definition of a "cup" if used for coffee(or tea?). If you do the measurments on present day coffee makers you will find the same thing-- their measurements equate to only 2/3 of the REAL volume measuring unit known as a "cup"-- 8.11 US oz!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just one thing remains: The conundrum over why it measures out as only 4 cups but "says" 6.
Answer: At some point in time the coffee companies decided to change the definition of a "cup" if used for coffee(or tea?). If you do the measurments on present day coffee makers you will find the same thing-- their measurements equate to only 2/3 of the REAL volume measuring unit known as a "cup"-- 8.11 US oz!

I always thought it was because it requires more than a cup of water to produce a cup of coffee using the drip method and the markings allow measurement of one or the other. Wiki explains it thus:

A "cup" of coffee in the US is usually 4 fluid ounces (118 ml), brewed using 5 fluid ounces (148 ml) of water. Coffee carafes used with drip coffee makers, e.g. Black and Decker models, have markings for both water and brewed coffee as the carafe is also used for measuring water prior to brewing. A 12-cup carafe, for example, has markings for 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12 cups of water or coffee, which correspond to 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60 US fluid ounces (0.59, 0.89, 1.18, 1.48, and 1.77 litres) of water or 16, 24, 32, 40, and 48 US fluid ounces (0.47, 0.71, 0.95, 1.18, and 1.42 litres) of brewed coffee respectively, the difference being the volume absorbed by the coffee grounds and lost to evaporation during brewing.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always thought it was because it requires more than a cup of water to produce a cup of coffee using the drip method and the markings allow measurement of one or the other. Wiki explains it thus:

A "cup" of coffee in the US is usually 4 fluid ounces (118 ml), brewed using 5 fluid ounces (148 ml) of water. Coffee carafes used with drip coffee makers, e.g. Black and Decker models, have markings for both water and brewed coffee as the carafe is also used for measuring water prior to brewing. A 12-cup carafe, for example, has markings for 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12 cups of water or coffee, which correspond to 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60 US fluid ounces (0.59, 0.89, 1.18, 1.48, and 1.77 litres) of water or 16, 24, 32, 40, and 48 US fluid ounces (0.47, 0.71, 0.95, 1.18, and 1.42 litres) of brewed coffee respectively, the difference being the volume absorbed by the coffee grounds and lost to evaporation during brewing.
What the heck?? 4oz isn't a cup of coffee!! Especially for the young ones! Where they gonna put all the cream, fu fu flavors, and sprinkles. Heck 8oz is a sip on my book.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions