I give up

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm hunting a school thats been demo'ed,i went there in middle school when they did desegregation back in the early 70's,,,yea i'm old..Any way the ends off of pencils that attach the eraser to the pencil hit 57-58 on my gamma,the same as a nickle..clean crisp and small like a coin..I now notch out nickles their.:BangHead:

Anyone else have this problem at schools,we use to do the pencil break thing back then a lot..I went through many,many pencils and hundreds of other kids too..Now its come back to bite me in the ass :icon_scratch:

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hunting a school thats been demo'ed,i went there in middle school when they did desegregation back in the early 70's,yea i'm old..Any way the ends off of pencils that attach the eraser to the pencil hit 57-58,the same as a nickle..clean crisp and small like a coin..I now notch out nickles their.:BangHead:

Anyone else have this problem at schools,we use to do the pencil break thing back then a lot..I went through many,many pencils and hundreds of other kids too..Now its come back to bite me in the ass :icon_scratch:

Yea, on my ATP they read dead on nickels too....The worst is when you see the hundreds of broken pencils on top of the ground, just knowing they will buried soon..lol...I used to have my son go around and pick them up at a certain place i frequent. But Im just hoping one of those times, its gonna be a nice hunk of Gold!

I only go to that place when its cool outside and I knwo it will be easy digging...try not to expect much

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yup. I just got a Delta 4000 and have the same problem.
I've dug lots of pencil tops over the last week. I did find that when I notch out Zincolns I sometimes get a more broken tone on those pencil tops but not the nickels, which helps.

But, I dig those trash signals pretty often because I love to find gold.
I guess you have to take the good with the bad sometimes right?? It's really up to you and what you're willing to dig.

On the upside, I've been digging nickels like crazy. Nickel count is way up since getting the TK.
No gold yet but it's just a matter of time.

OP
OP
supertraq

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yup. I just got a Delta 4000 and have the same problem.
I've dug lots of pencil tops over the last week. I did find that when I notch out Zincolns I sometimes get a more broken tone on those pencil tops but not the nickels, which helps.

But, I dig those trash signals pretty often because I love to find gold.
I guess you have to take the good with the bad sometimes right?? It's really up to you and what you're willing to dig.

On the upside, I've been digging nickels like crazy. Nickel count is way up since getting the TK.
No gold yet but it's just a matter of time.

Will have to try that out,notching out stink'in lincolns..I hate to give up on nickle because the school is old enough to have buffalo nickels..Right now i'm trying to cherry pick before i get competition,right now i'm the only one hunting it, my nephew gonna come in next week and were gonna hit it hard..:occasion14:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread