Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
Still working the dry swimming areas at my favorite park but things have changed, winter is here. Low to mid 30s today with a steady breeze made for a cold day of swingin. The finds were scarce and the ones I found were mostly sinkers.

Only 3 of the coins came from the swimming area, the rest came from other parts of the dry lake bed. Not much foil today and NO can tabs yeah.

In 5 hours I managed to find 22 coins with a face value of $1.62, 7 earrings, a brass bead, 3 earring backs, a stainless steel screw on ball end of piercing jewelry, a cheapie ring, a stainless screw, 24 sinkers, bits of fishing tackle and a little foil. It was quite a sinker day with some real tiny split shot sinkers.

95C613C8-B865-43F4-8A3A-16EF4708BAA5.jpeg

One of the earrings was gold. A tiny little thin teddy bear earring that was 14k. Not a lot of gold but gold 5 hunts in a row from this parks swimming areas. I’ll take it.

9431B1F7-C9E4-4543-91B0-478199EB4C24.jpeg

Winter is really here, we had several inches of heavy wet snow that I had to deal with. I had to wait for a couple of days before I could go out again and when I did it was cold and windy, even to the east where it is warmer than home.

DAY 2
I almost stayed home. It was flurrying, it was windy (gusts 30+ mph) and cold (stayed in mid 30s). But I had to go out for some things anyway so I decided to give it a try. I went back to campus figuring I might have the best chance of getting a few dollars in change and I might get lucky. I decided to try an area I have only walked around a few times. I have found a lot of slaw and junky targets with coins being few and far between. I gridded an area by the parking lot and found a couple dollars in change and a key.

I figured it was time to move to a different spot and started swingin my way off this field and down a small hill toward the stream. I got a coin signal and dug a small plug, it wasn’t deep and out popped a large cent. I gridded a small area hoping for a spill with no luck and went back up the hill toward the field I had been on and about 80 feet away I found a sliver seated dime. Again I gridded a small area and nothing else so I headed off into the field at different angle and about 65 feet away out pops a green disk close to quarter size and I knew I had a 2 center. The last hour I worked my way around the field and only found 1 more coin, a wheatie so it was time to go. I haven’t had an old coin day like that in a long time. It felt great.

All together in 4 hours I found 36 coins with a face value of $3.32, a silver dime, a 2 cent piece, a large cent, a wheatie, part of a brass hinge, a small D buckle, a small brass ring, a chunk of melted lead, a brass inside corner brace, a key, 2 pieces of a fancy license plate holder, can slaw and tabs.

93D9DD8D-4B71-4EAA-8788-213A3D195350.jpeg

4486D8F6-5D46-4837-AD17-CFA79FCED0D5.jpeg

The silver dime was down in a muddy spot and I could see the rim when it came out so I knew it was silver, but that’s all I could see. I popped off one side and could see the ONE DIME so I knew it was a Barber or a seated. I didn’t have any water so I spit on it and got it wet enough to shake off the mud and see it was seated. I did the rest of the cleaning at home. It is an 1853 with arrows in nice condition. She still has a little rust on her face, but it should clean off nicely. This is the third seated from the campus.

11750E55-6E08-4693-A208-D06B70143E8E.jpeg

The 2 cent piece came out with some green showing and with that color and that almost quarter size I was pretty sure of what it was. It is an 1865 and still needs to have some of the dirt removed, but it looks great. A nice green that all of them I have found around here have and the details are are crisp. This is the second 2 cent piece from campus.

027064B5-9470-4852-BF20-5023257FCEAC.jpeg

The largie came out all crust as usual. Easy to tell it was a large cent and with a little rubbing you can see it is an 1847. The third large cent from campus. All three of these were relatively close together (inside a 100 foot square) and all of the other like them were on the other side of the campus. Goodies a can be anywhere so keep hunting and diggin. You may dig a lot of modern coins and junk, but sooner or later the goodies will show up.

0A3328CA-2E0B-4753-ADC3-32067A8303DD.jpeg

The brass hinge piece has a decorated edge and looks old. Never found one exactly like it and am not sure of the age, but I like it. The older stuff will be going to the college library as part of their local historic display.

DCCE4A20-E834-4920-B351-4DFEB93DB78F.jpeg

I was going to go out again today, but it got colder and snowier and the wind was still with us so I decided against it. So that’s all for this week. I will be out in the snow camping with the scouts tomorrow, all bundled up and working on scout projects outdoors. Only 2 hunts this week, but good results.

Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may you coil lead you to good things.

Attachments

• 6CEFD541-8E16-4201-8715-A884D953A6CB.jpeg
    6CEFD541-8E16-4201-8715-A884D953A6CB.jpeg
    612.3 KB · Views: 14
  • DB8C8335-6265-4026-875B-379098A66F3A.jpeg
    DB8C8335-6265-4026-875B-379098A66F3A.jpeg
    424.3 KB · Views: 21
Upvote 25

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done on the Seated and the 2 coppers. :occasion14:
Certainly an area to be gridded thoroughly.

Winter camping Scouts-Yup every time I go to the other end of my property to dig old-I dig the remains of "Bury the garbage", boys.
Query: Do the scouts today still bury it (garbage) or pack it back out?

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
Still working the dry swimming areas at my favorite park but things have changed, winter is here. Low to mid 30s today with a steady breeze made for a cold day of swingin. The finds were scarce and the ones I found were mostly sinkers.

Only 3 of the coins came from the swimming area, the rest came from other parts of the dry lake bed. Not much foil today and NO can tabs yeah.

In 5 hours I managed to find 22 coins with a face value of $1.62, 7 earrings, a brass bead, 3 earring backs, a stainless steel screw on ball end of piercing jewelry, a cheapie ring, a stainless screw, 24 sinkers, bits of fishing tackle and a little foil. It was quite a sinker day with some real tiny split shot sinkers.

View attachment 2055965

One of the earrings was gold. A tiny little thin teddy bear earring that was 14k. Not a lot of gold but gold 5 hunts in a row from this parks swimming areas. I’ll take it.

View attachment 2055966

Winter is really here, we had several inches of heavy wet snow that I had to deal with. I had to wait for a couple of days before I could go out again and when I did it was cold and windy, even to the east where it is warmer than home.

DAY 2
I almost stayed home. It was flurrying, it was windy (gusts 30+ mph) and cold (stayed in mid 30s). But I had to go out for some things anyway so I decided to give it a try. I went back to campus figuring I might have the best chance of getting a few dollars in change and I might get lucky. I decided to try an area I have only walked around a few times. I have found a lot of slaw and junky targets with coins being few and far between. I gridded an area by the parking lot and found a couple dollars in change and a key.

I figured it was time to move to a different spot and started swingin my way off this field and down a small hill toward the stream. I got a coin signal and dug a small plug, it wasn’t deep and out popped a large cent. I gridded a small area hoping for a spill with no luck and went back up the hill toward the field I had been on and about 80 feet away I found a sliver seated dime. Again I gridded a small area and nothing else so I headed off into the field at different angle and about 65 feet away out pops a green disk close to quarter size and I knew I had a 2 center. The last hour I worked my way around the field and only found 1 more coin, a wheatie so it was time to go. I haven’t had an old coin day like that in a long time. It felt great.

All together in 4 hours I found 36 coins with a face value of $3.32, a silver dime, a 2 cent piece, a large cent, a wheatie, part of a brass hinge, a small D buckle, a small brass ring, a chunk of melted lead, a brass inside corner brace, a key, 2 pieces of a fancy license plate holder, can slaw and tabs.

View attachment 2055967

View attachment 2055964

The silver dime was down in a muddy spot and I could see the rim when it came out so I knew it was silver, but that’s all I could see. I popped off one side and could see the ONE DIME so I knew it was a Barber or a seated. I didn’t have any water so I spit on it and got it wet enough to shake off the mud and see it was seated. I did the rest of the cleaning at home. It is an 1853 with arrows in nice condition. She still has a little rust on her face, but it should clean off nicely. This is the third seated from the campus.

View attachment 2055971

The 2 cent piece came out with some green showing and with that color and that almost quarter size I was pretty sure of what it was. It is an 1865 and still needs to have some of the dirt removed, but it looks great. A nice green that all of them I have found around here have and the details are are crisp. This is the second 2 cent piece from campus.

View attachment 2055972

The largie came out all crust as usual. Easy to tell it was a large cent and with a little rubbing you can see it is an 1847. The third large cent from campus. All three of these were relatively close together (inside a 100 foot square) and all of the other like them were on the other side of the campus. Goodies a can be anywhere so keep hunting and diggin. You may dig a lot of modern coins and junk, but sooner or later the goodies will show up.

View attachment 2055970

The brass hinge piece has a decorated edge and looks old. Never found one exactly like it and am not sure of the age, but I like it. The older stuff will be going to the college library as part of their local historic display.

View attachment 2055969

I was going to go out again today, but it got colder and snowier and the wind was still with us so I decided against it. So that’s all for this week. I will be out in the snow camping with the scouts tomorrow, all bundled up and working on scout projects outdoors. Only 2 hunts this week, but good results.

Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may you coil lead you to good things.
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done on the Seated and the 2 coppers. :occasion14:
Certainly an area to be gridded thoroughly.

Winter camping Scouts-Yup every time I go to the other end of my property to dig old-I dig the remains of "Bury the garbage", boys.
Query: Do the scouts today still bury it (garbage) or pack it back out?
Thanks Pepperj. In answer to your question, in our area we haven’t buried our garbage in over 25 years. I still hit spots where scouts have buried their garbage years ago the same as you do. They finally figured out that things they bury remain a lot longer than they thought so now we pack it all out and recycle everything we can.

Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DAY 1

View attachment 2055965

View attachment 2055966

DAY 2

View attachment 2055967

View attachment 2055964

View attachment 2055971

View attachment 2055972

View attachment 2055970

View attachment 2055969

nice post, goodies really are everywhere starts by walking out the front door, good recoveries!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1

View attachment 2055965

View attachment 2055966

DAY 2

View attachment 2055967

View attachment 2055964

View attachment 2055971

View attachment 2055972

View attachment 2055970

View attachment 2055969

Awsome hunt....ya got a little of everything!! Great coin shooting on campus !! Congrats 👏 👏

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions