Relic Hunting
Screenshot 2021-04-08 at 11.18.27 AM.png

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget Cherry Bombs, M-80s, BB gun wars, rock wars, climbing tall trees then having someone cut it down so you can ride them down, staying in the woods till dark, riding your bike 10 miles to go swimming, quail hunting, and squirrel hunting, wading in ponds with gators fishing all before I was a teenager.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't forget Cherry Bombs, M-80s, BB gun wars, rock wars, climbing tall trees then having someone cut it down so you can ride them down, staying in the woods till dark, riding your bike 10 miles to go swimming, quail hunting, and squirrel hunting, wading in ponds with gators fishing all before I was a teenager.
I thought we were the only ones riding trees. Good to know. I did all that you and newnan mention, without the gators. Oh yeah, starting campfires with gasoline. Building rope swings. Playing on frozen ponds. Shooting homemade black powder mini-cannons ( buddy's Dad had a lathe ).

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought we were the only ones riding trees. Good to know. I did all that you and newnan mention, without the gators. Oh yeah, starting campfires with gasoline. Building rope swings. Playing on frozen ponds. Shooting homemade black powder mini-cannons ( buddy's Dad had a lathe ).
LOL, I forgot about the home made cannons, I used shotgun or fire cracker powder. We had a couple huge rope swings in old oak treess along the hillsborough river we used to swing and drop in the river, time it right you had a 20-30 foot drop. Problem was you never knew when there was old tree floating down stream, and due to the Cyprus trees song the banks the water was pitch black, you could not see if there was anything in the water, tree, gator, just never knew and we were were invincible then, or so we thought.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Catching arrows. Remember the old re-curve ( starter ) fiberglass bows that came with a handful of arrows? Out in a pasture or field, we would try to catch them coming down after being shot high into the air by the smarter guy. You can actually catch them, if you're good. That was probably the most potentially lethal stunt we pulled.

Going into the woods with two other 12-year-olds, all carrying .22's. Survived it all. Shouldn't have. I found I could fall a fair distance, if I snapped off a few branches on the way down. Still hurt, though.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always had a 22 on me walking in the woods. If we got doing something you just stashed your guns, played, went home. Mom used to drop us off on Friday evenings at a fishing/creek spot. Pick us up Sunday afternoon.
Same here, I grew up in the country. I lived in Brandon Fl when it only had a single stop light and lived in Mango Fl also as a kid. I and my friends would go camping in the woods behind our house on Friday nights and go home on Sunday.

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same here, I grew up in the country. I lived in Brandon fl when it only had a single stop light, and lived in Mango Fl also as a kid. I and my friends would go camping in the woods behind our house on Friday nights and go home on Sunday.
Rough camping in Florida with so many dangerous critters, plants, and the bugs, earn way more bad-ass points, than the benign western Washington woods and streams I grew up around. But we were cold and wet most of the time.

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just today I was really desperately thirsty. That feeling flushed trough my body. Should I? The hose looking me straight in the eyes….

I chocked down the rubber flavor just to feel that odd sensation. Contentment.

Yep. Good to go. Back at er. Hose water washes the soul clean.

Mysterious Outdoors

Jul 16, 2022
NW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250...looking into a Nokta Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea and we did all of those things with no computers, cell phones, or pagers!
Of course that’s when a good wooden spoon, switch or belt scared you a lot more than “wait till your father gets home!”
My mom would always say that to me, even after she smacked me up side my head. If I did real bad...lol.

Mysterious Outdoors

Jul 16, 2022
NW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always had a 22 on me walking in the woods. If we got doing something you just stashed your guns, played, went home. Mom used to drop us off on Friday evenings at a fishing/creek spot. Pick us up Sunday afternoon.
Got my first 22 at 9 but could not leave the yard till 12 and hundreds of squirrels later with it. At one point dad said we had enough fake chicken wings...LOL. The good old days.

Mysterious Outdoors

Jul 16, 2022
NW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Catching arrows. Remember the old re-curve ( starter ) fiberglass bows that came with a handful of arrows? Out in a pasture or field, we would try to catch them coming down after being shot high into the air by the smarter guy. You can actually catch them, if you're good. That was probably the most potentially lethal stunt we pulled.

Going into the woods with two other 12-year-olds, all carrying .22's. Survived it all. Shouldn't have. I found I could fall a fair distance, if I snapped off a few branches on the way down. Still hurt, though.
Sorta like YARD DARTS...That are banned now, loved that game. Yellow ring and took turns like horse shoes. Epic childhood.

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All you country boys probably smoked corn silks, tried to chew some Bull of The Woods or Red Mule, and snuck a taste of that clear stuff in the mason jar. Of course then you got your mouth washed out with soap and had to take a BIG spoonful of castor oil.

Mysterious Outdoors

Jul 16, 2022
NW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All you country boys probably smoked corn silks, tried to chew some Bull of The Woods or Red Mule, and snuck a taste of that clear stuff in the mason jar. Of course then you got your mouth washed out with soap and had to take a BIG spoonful of castor oil.
No we rolled our own and HELP make the clear stuff. Some had a little green stuff. Life in the woods...lol.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rough camping in Florida with so many dangerous critters, plants, and the bugs, earn way more bad-ass points, than the benign western Washington woods and streams I grew up around. But we were cold and wet most of the time.
I know what you mean about the wet and cold. I have camped all over the west including Washington State, a beautiful state too.

On a 6 week extended camping vacation in the mid-70s when still single, my roommate and I left Minot ND, and went to Yellowstone NP, then up into Idaho, camped in Snake River canyon, up to Sun Valley, then we decided to head up to Cascades Nation Park, down to Mt Rainier then back up to Olympic NP. We decided to take the coastal highway down to LA, with side trips to all the National parks in Oregon, and California. Left California and went to Reno, Lake Taho, Carson City, then up to Utah to hit the national parks there then we headed back to Minot ND.

Have made 2 camping trips out to the west coast and at least another 4 or 5 in the Utah and Wyoming Montana area, been to Yellowstone 7 times in my lifetime including the trip from Minot. One tip to Yellowstone included a side trip to Glacier NP in Montana.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread