I had a feeling about this derelict town lot....

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sometimes we drive down roads seldom driven due to various reasons, and it leads us to new interesting places to metal detect! This field caught my eye about a month ago when I started driving to the grocery store a different way and I finally got around to beeping it today and found some cool stuff! The gun is a pencil sharpener..the coins are a 1918 buffalo nickle, a silver S mintmark war nickle (unknown date going to tumble it has fire damage), a 1936-s winged liberty dime, two wheaties (1941-D and 1930-S). Also got a copper printing plate advertising trumpets, a little bell, a clock winder, a copper bracelet and ring, and a barrel tap handle. Thanks for looking, cheers!

Attachments

• site.JPG
    site.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 313
  • IMG_1273.JPG
    IMG_1273.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 191
  • IMG_1275.JPG
    IMG_1275.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 181
  • IMG_1276.JPG
    IMG_1276.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 193
  • take.JPG
    take.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 191
  • printing plate.JPG
    printing plate.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Upvote 38

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes we drive down roads seldom driven due to various reasons, and it leads us to new interesting places to metal detect! This field caught my eye about a month ago when I started driving to the grocery store a different way and I finally got around to beeping it today and found some cool stuff! The gun is a pencil sharpener..the coins are a 1918 buffalo nickle, a silver S mintmark war nickle (unknown date going to tumble it has fire damage), a 1936-s winged liberty dime, two wheaties (1941-D and 1930-S). Also got a copper printing plate with a section mysteriously removed (old school censoring?), a little bell, a clock winder, a copper bracelet and ring, and a barrel tap handle. Thanks for looking, cheers!
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Curiosity once again produces the keepers. Well done.
It's would be interesting to see what the plate reads after it's cleaned up a tad.
Pencil rubbing maybe-or mirror photo.
The cut out of the plate was a way leaving a blank space in the printing process I believe.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat finds. The printing plate is an advertisement for “Holton’s - America’s Greatest Band Instruments”. I would guess that the cut-out enabled pictures of different instruments to be inserted into the generic text, or possibly addresses of local stockists for Holton’s products.

Holton.jpg

Holton's.jpg

[picture copyright saxophone.org]

This was Frank Holton & Co. of Elkhorn, Wisconsin and you can read the company history at the link below:
https://redevelop.drobnakbrass.com/conc8/index.php/features/features-3/history-frank-holton-company

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With what Redcoat said, I believe the text is referring to choking up on a bat handle?

I can see the word “Llewellyn” at the top and I would be sure the word preceding it is “Revelation” and the word after it is "Model". Llewellyn was principal trumpet in the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and the style of trumpet he used was produced by Holton under that model name. See half-way down this page:

https://holtonloyalist.com/trumpets/

I can’t read all the text but at the end it says: “So easy playing that when you first play it you’ll never want to lay it down”.

Last edited:

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see the word “Llewellyn” at the top and I would be sure the word preceding it is “Revelation” and the word after it is "Model". Llewellyn was principal trumpet in the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and the style of trumpet he used was produced by Horton under that model name. See half-way down this page:

https://holtonloyalist.com/trumpets/

I can’t read all the text but at the end it says: “So easy playing that when you first play it you’ll never want to lay it down”.
Thanks Redcoat for looking closer than I did. I was rushing after getting the image manipulated.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the blue rectangular item is a set or at least the cover for a torch tip cleaner.

Yes, likely for a cleaning kit including files… like this:

Oxweld 1.jpg Oxweld 2.jpg Oxweld 3.jpg

The Oxweld trademark in that lettering style dates back to 1913 but it was only registered for “Hand Tools for cleaning the tips and nozzles of welding, heating, and cutting blowpipes” in 1951, with a claimed first use in commerce in 1948.

hollARDog

Jun 18, 2022
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread