I had by my standards a great day today.

Cosmo3

Feb 8, 2017
Chattanooga, Tn.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Hori-Hori Knife, Gerber Folding Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful day here in Chattanooga today. I went to a local Elementary School built in the late 1930s. 20170317_144813.jpg I had my AT Pro, it was set in Pro Zero with the Discrimination set at 32 with the sensitivity 2 bars below max. It was ground balanced at 80. I found 6 quarters, 2 nickles, 12 dimes, and 27 pennies which one looked like it had been run over or something. 20170318_183957.jpg The oldest was a 1967 Quarter. All of the pennies were Lincoln with no shields.

I also found a find that I am very excited about. It is a dog tag with a 1946 date on it. 20170318_174946.jpg I wrote down what it said above the dog tag. It rang up at 82 on my machine and showed 10 inches deep. I dug the hole a little large to give myself room to dig with my Hori Hori digger. Sure enough when I spotted it I measured and it was at about 9 inches.

I am going to see if I can find this person or a relative and return it to them. I honestly don't think it is military issue but I remember as someone that was born in 1950 dog tags were very popular when I was around 6 or 7. Maybe before that but that is as far back as I remember. I did research the school and got this quote from the school history.

""During World II, the school was used as an agency to register soldiers and issue rationing stamps. The principal during those years contributed many additional hours to this work. Miss Martha Bean and Miss Angie Fleeman organized and filed old Harrison and Oak Hill records and delivered surplus government commodities to disadvantaged families in the community. Rex Richey delivered cafeteria supplies to the school. For a time, breakfast was served in the cafeteria.""

All in all I had a great day and a lot of fun. Thanks for reading everyone and God Bless.

Upvote 15

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job! sometimes i am lucky to find a single penny.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Angelo's WWII Angels Dog Tag Return Project
If I were you & I have done this for a Aussie Dog Tag from WWI, try & return it to the closest family by using the above.

Not a WW2 tag. This is not a military issue tag. It has two names on it. No service number, an address, no blood type. All wrong for a military tag.

Lots of clad there and a nice day for sure. Congrats

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a WW2 tag. This is not a military issue tag. It has two names on it. No service number, an address, no blood type. All wrong for a military tag.

Lots of clad there and a nice day for sure. Congrats

OK, didn't look at it closely.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
OK, didn't look at it closely.

Very sorry if I came across as condescending. You are vastly knowledgeable on finds from across the pond and I have a little knowledge on stuff here. Your knowledge and finds always seem to impress me for some reason! I was just trying to be helpful and explain why it wasn't military.

Now go dig up a stater for us to drool over!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice hunt! :occasion14:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest: