I HATE RACCOONS !!!

vonfatman

Jul 21, 2023
KCMO Area
Primary Interest:
Other
We take no prisoners. Trap 'em then dispatch with a shot behind the ear while still in the trap. This isn't sport shooting.
I should drown the little basties like they do ours and the neighbor's dogs.

Believe it or not, the "post-shot residue" is a major raccoon attractant. All the expended body fluids help to attract the next raccoon. Mini-marshmellows and raccoon bile....yummy.

You can't trap out our farm....way too many. No balance with this beast of nature.

The coyotes, fox, vultures and worms gotta eat too.

vfm

Last edited:

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Probably" Now there's a good word-yet the facts show that there are 4 other residences within 500 ft of that civic address.
Some "farms are 50 acres or more" yet the google backs up your claim of "Woods and more woods! No congestion, no plats, no stores, nothing but woods!"
(Must be tree farming)
Looking at the you live in a place that basically everyone is close proximity (217 per sq mile)
(My area is 83 per sq mile, and we say it's crowded)

So basically you live in a high density rural town environment, you only have 2 traffic lights.
(Yet I have to drive 20/30/45 minutes to find one)
It's all perspective on what is rural living-or the new world of having a lot that backs onto conservation area. Meaning trees and not another yard.
But farms Tim is a stretch as if there were farms nobody would be having the speed dial at a finger's touch.

I was visiting a permission yesterday over yonder (900 acre) came up on the couple while they were doing some fencing.
Great meet up, weather, timing for the haying.
Then bang.
"Sounded like a .22-yup-probably a coon-yup."
"We see them walking across the fields-but none in the barn lately"
"Oh we take care of them real quick-make a mess of the feed"

This is rural living a shot is of concerning as a fart-nobody really pays no mind.
I guess folks just mind their own business and don't have the speed dial mentality.
When I get the coon messing with my berries-guaranteed it's dead and buried.
If any coon mess with my berries, I'd kill them too

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If any coon mess with my berries, I'd kill them too
There gets to the point when costs of fencing, electric fencing, and other critter control just doesn't do it-then it's the extermination route.
It's really easy for some to preach from their porches about doing more-more-build-more or don't have.

Usually the ones that don't have in the first place-and more than likely never will have it- it's easy to for them to say others should do this, or that instead of the alternative.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a lot of people just want to make everyone else think there know it all's. If they had horses that they loved would they take a chance on Letting coons or Opossums pee and poop all over your hay. There droppings can cause death to your horses. Also TELLING SOMEONE to BREAK the LAW IS WRONG !!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
a lot of people just want to make everyone else think there know it all's. If they had horses that they loved would they take a chance on Letting coons or Opossums pee and poop all over your hay. There droppings can cause death to your horses. Also TELLING SOMEONE to BREAK the LAW IS WRONG !!!
Whether you call them pigeons or rock doves, these birds are not a welcome resident of any barn. Their soft cooing sound may be soothing, but their perching habits in the rafters of barns above hay lofts guarantees you’ll have soiled hay. It’s amazing how quickly bird poop can build up once a few pigeons move in. Once hay is soiled with pigeon poop, it won’t be good to feed to your horse. Pigeon poop soiled food can carry salmonella and other harmful protozoa. Starlings too, shouldn’t be welcomed in your stable either. These birds may carry WNV. Pigeons do not cause pigeon fever in horses.

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard from a friend the other day that you can mix some fly bait in a half can of soda and it leave it by your feeder, it will wipe out the coons and possums without hurting the other animals. I don’t like to use poison to much but that’s all you can do sometimes.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years ago 3 racoons got into my sister's house through the "doggy" door. My sister had 3 small dogs,(I think they were Chihuahuas). Anyway, they got into a little spat with the dogs once in the house. When my sister turned on the lights she spotted 2 of the raccoons, each carrying one of the little dogs headed toward the doggy door. She screamed, and the raccoons dropped the dogs,(they were still alive) and calmly walked out the door. Both dogs had some nasty bite wounds but, they made it OK. Heck, it was my sister's 15 minutes of fame...One of the local TV stations sent a crew out to interview her. With my sister's permission, the vet's office had reported the "incident" to the TV station.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard from a friend the other day that you can mix some fly bait in a half can of soda and it leave it by your feeder, it will wipe out the coons and possums without hurting the other animals. I don’t like to use poison to much but that’s all you can do sometimes.
LandSeig any animal that eats or drinks it will die

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Breaking news for your misinformed friend.
It will kill or sicken every other animal that feeds on that carrion.
They restrict the sale of fly bait here now for that very simple reason-it keeps killing.

In 2010, a bald eagle in the Upper Peninsula was poisoned to death after feeding on a deer carcass that was treated with methomyl fly bait. MDARD’s investigation was not able to positively identify the person that misused the fly bait. Investigators suspect the treated deer carcass was intended to kill wolves.
In 2010, MDARD conducted an undercover investigation at more than 40 agricultural pesticide retailers. MDARD found more than 25% of the stores recommended the misuse of methomyl fly bait to control nuisance animals such as opossums and raccoons.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Breaking news for your misinformed friend.
It will kill or sicken every other animal that feeds on that carrion.
They restrict the sale of fly bait here now for that very simple reason-it keeps killing.

In 2010, a bald eagle in the Upper Peninsula was poisoned to death after feeding on a deer carcass that was treated with methomyl fly bait. MDARD’s investigation was not able to positively identify the person that misused the fly bait. Investigators suspect the treated deer carcass was intended to kill wolves.
In 2010, MDARD conducted an undercover investigation at more than 40 agricultural pesticide retailers. MDARD found more than 25% of the stores recommended the misuse of methomyl fly bait to control nuisance animals such as opossums and raccoons.
Pepperj This is a great post thank you

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Poison is always bad. Never, ever use poison to kill/control a mammal, including mice and rats.

As Pepper pointed out.."It will kill or sicken every other animal that feeds on that carrion."

So, you kill a mouse...and the mouse kills a cat that eats it, and then it kills an eagle or hawk that feeds on the cat. Not to mention the suffering all of those critters had to endure before they finally died.

If your only option is to kill it, then do so with expediency. Critters shouldn't have to suffer just for being hungry and chasing after an easy meal.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Poison is always bad. Never, ever use poison to kill/control a mammal, including mice and rats.

As Pepper pointed out.."It will kill or sicken every other animal that feeds on that carrion."

So, you kill a mouse...and the mouse kills a cat that eats it, and then it kills an eagle or hawk that feeds on the cat. Not to mention the suffering all of those critters had to endure before they finally died.

If your only option is to kill it, then do so with expediency. Critters shouldn't have to suffer just for being hungry and chasing after an easy meal.
Dizzy your post is ALSO FANTASTIC Thank you !1

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gare, as I've mentioned in the past, I spent many years as a long-line fur trapper, nuisance control trapper and predator hunter. About 25 years ago I got to a point where I just couldn't take another critters life without some serious justification on my part. People do change.

Since that time I have, sadly, still had to put a few critters down permanently, but that's only when no other possible options remain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread