I HATE RACCOONS !!!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 10 years ago we had a verysmall kitten show up at our barn. Every time we went there it would scream for food. It was so cute :) One evening i went back to the barn walked in and there was a raccoon setting there EATING screamer. It did not take long for me to put an end to it 111 Raccoons Poop and Pee all over my hay which can cause VERY serious and deadly health issues for my horses. 2 weeks ago a new screamer showed up at my barn. It was black with a white belly and 4 white feet. It was always there screaming at us for food. when my wife fed last evening t=she told me no kitten :( We went back and looked through my whole barn for it. My wife found a leg that looked like the kittens and a little bit of fur of it;s . I put a live trap out last evening. Today when i checked the trap there is a live coon in it !!

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Ohio it is illegal to live trap a raccoon and release it some place else !!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
My Grandma.. What big teeth you have !

Screen Shot 2023-05-25 at 8.25.48 AM.jpg

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is it a momma coon? If her teats are swollen, she has little ones somewhere.

It is rare that a coon kills cats...usually because there is very little food otherwise. So sad to see this, but as much as I love critters, if a coon went after my cat I would feel justified in putting it down.

Bummer...

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010
My wife and I have had feral cat having the kittens on my property. We decided enough was enough and had the kittens taken to a shelter and decided to trap and fix the adult cats to decrease the population. The people who took the kittens brought out a trap and cans of tuna fish to lure the adults into the trap, strictly catch, fix and release. the first night nothing, but before the end of the next day we noticed the trap was sprung but nothing in it. Looking in we seen the tuna was gone and something ripped the bottom of the trap apart. snapped the welds and bent the wires. My neighbor said a racoon did it. All I can say is I'm glad that sucker wasn't still in the cage...he was not happy.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
A s
as per google : Good-quality raccoon pelts may bring in $10-$15.

Ebay Good Tanned pelts are Bringing twice that
My wife and I have had feral cat having the kittens on my property. We decided enough was enough and had the kittens taken to a shelter and decided to trap and fix the adult cats to decrease the population. The people who took the kittens brought out a trap and cans of tuna fish to lure the adults into the trap, strictly catch, fix and release. the first night nothing, but before the end of the next day we noticed the trap was sprung but nothing in it. Looking in we seen the tuna was gone and something ripped the bottom of the trap apart. snapped the welds and bent the wires. My neighbor said a racoon did it. All I can say is I'm glad that sucker wasn't still in the cage...he was not happy.
A Son-in-law of mine was live trapping coons and relocating them. Twice he trapped skunks. They don’t stay very calm when trapped. 💩

Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never knew coons to go after cats, but I could see them doin that. My grandpa used to coon hunt. One time his best dog jumped into the river after a coon, the old coon got up on the dog's head, held him down and drowned him. Grandpa gave up coon huntin after that.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Never knew coons to go after cats, but I could see them doin that. My grandpa used to coon hunt. One time his best dog jumped into the river after a coon, the old coon got up on the dog's head, held him down and drowned him. Grandpa gave up coon huntin after that.
I’ve seen coon dogs get ripped up by raccoons.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a girl who had one as a pet.
The Shop where she bought it warned her,
As they get older they get a Temper and will Bite.
I never asked her if it Died or if she had to put it to Sleep.
I Didn't want to ask and Bring it back up. as Babies they are a lot like Monkeys.

Wild coons are also known for Rabies Here

plehbah2

May 8, 2023
Colorado mountains
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, XP Deus II
I live in a rural environment, and livestock aside, my neighbors lose plenty of cats to local wildlife and the occasional dog, too. Sometimes the loss is greater than others depending on the bond between the person and the cat or dog. We had one local cat, Chester, he was a real character and my neighbor was very fond of Chester. I liked Chester, too. Chester was a survivor and made it for years in the wild until one day he finally got taken. Usually out here the culprits are bobcats, mountain lions, or coyotes. The cats kill lots of birds and rodents and then they too are killed and eaten. It's all part of the great circle and the design of nature which is the will and work of God.

Unless you are defending livestock which is food and livelihood, it's probably best to try to live in accordance with the grand system. Nature is what it is. The only way to get away from nature is to completely subjugate it and destroy it, but then you live in a place like New York City. I personally like living around bobcats, mountain lions, and coyotes. I would never live in New York City.

We have a couple of cats whom we intend on keeping around for awhile, so we keep them in the house. That is really the only way to keep them from being eaten. I don't want to shoot all the other critters who call this place home unless I am hungry.

I'm sorry your cats got eaten by the coons. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
as per google : Good-quality raccoon pelts may bring in $10-$15.

Ebay Good Tanned pelts are Bringing twice that

$10-$15 is for a prime, undamaged mid-winter pelt. Right now that coons hide is worthless, not to mention it would cost a min. of $25 to get it tanned. A person could try brain tanning on their own, but the hair would slip and all the effort would be wasted.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I don’t shoot anything. They just make me irritated. Coyotes may eat cats as a food source. The coons kill and leave the remains. I can’t see where that is the circle of life, but I do understand your message and largely agree. Of course agreeing isn’t the same as advocating.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
What was that kid's song back in the 1950's ..something like, "Bears eat goats and goats eat oats and little lambs eat ivy..a kid will eat eat ivy, too .. wouldn't you?"

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I raised boxers for over 22 years, 17 years I had 3 at a time, raccoons didn't have a chance, they would played tug of war with the raccoons, I would find them in half, and thirds, and my boxers weren't even scratched.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was that kid's song back in the 1950's ..something like, "Bears eat goats and goats eat oats and little lambs eat ivy..a kid will eat eat ivy, too .. wouldn't you?"

this is how I remember the songs lyrics:

Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you?
Yes! Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you?
If the words sound queer and funny to your ear, a little bit jumbled and jivey.....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread