Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to stir the pot. but this is precisely why it is against the rules to post religious beliefs .. or lack there of .. on the forum.

Correct. What one person believes to be "fact", another person may believe to be pure fiction...

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have no love for raccoons. I found one pulling a chicken's leg through the coop wire and eating away as the chicken screeched. They also relish chicks they can catch and egg they can scavange. When I find them around the barn/coops I give them as painless a send-off to "whatever-racoon-dreams-may-come" as possible. But they are not tolerated in my sight. They are far from endangered and do tend to make a mess where they get access.

Fishers, minks and martins are worse. They will kill a whole flock and just take a few bites out of the back of the head/neck. Twice we have been cleaned out by them. For them . . . I would swerve ther car to run them down. Not true for any other animal. No mercy.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was certainly not trying to offend anyone, so I don't see any reason to get upset or try to get me in trouble. I stated my view of things in a polite way, nothing more and nothing less. I explained to the man the way I see living in and with nature. In fact, I don't think I said anything inflammatory or rude, so just blink your eyes as you read my post if you don't like that part. It was harmless.
Plehbah, there was nothing in your post that violated the rules.

DWerk

Oct 18, 2020
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites V3i, AT Pro, Deus 1, Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Common carrier of Rabies...

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I worked for animal control for 12 years; I always found it odd that the racoon was considered the #1 rabies carrier; I never saw or heard about any cases dealing with rabies from a racoon to either animal or human. I saw many situations where both cats and dogs were tore up by racoons; even some killed. I also saw many situations where raccoons were tore up by cats and dogs; also some killed. I only dealt with a handful of situations where a human was bit; we performed the rabies test and they all came back negative. We did have a few cases that some dogs and cats got distemper from racoon bites.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.22 is fairly cheap around here. Between the hawks eating my chickens, the opossums and snakes eating my eggs, and the crows eating my blueberries I’m about fed up with pests. I finally had a decent blueberry crop on my three little bushes and my wife wanted to wait until the kids could pick them. Well the next day she went out with them and the bushes were stripped…dumb crows.
Landseig I am so sorry for you :(

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a very large racoon in our yard/property once..... just once.
We have 25+ acres to roam so the raccoons must communicate, no coons since the dismemberment!

roxy badass.jpg

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I worked for animal control for 12 years; I always found it odd that the racoon was considered the #1 rabies carrier; I never saw or heard about any cases dealing with rabies from a racoon to either animal or human. I saw many situations where both cats and dogs were tore up by racoons; even some killed. I also saw many situations where raccoons were tore up by cats and dogs; also some killed. I only dealt with a handful of situations where a human was bit; we performed the rabies test and they all came back negative. We did have a few cases that some dogs and cats got distemper from racoon bites.
I was wondering that. This report says that 41% of raccoon here tested positive for rabies, and bats tested low.

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm an animal lover but also believe that nuisance animals some have to be dealt with. If you can't cohabitate with them you have to do something. Trap them, kill them or chase them away. Do it yourself of pay up! This boar coon was causing problems, now he's no longer a problem.

Attachments

• IMG_1697.jpeg
    IMG_1697.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 19

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I have dogs AND cats so no pests around here. Never lost a chicken in over a decade off grid in the Rockies with ALL the biggest predators around.

Have lost a few cats to the predators but thats normal.
Can’t let dogs run here, they’ll kill other’s chickens.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can’t let dogs run here, they’ll kill other’s chickens.
That happened here a few years ago. Two dogs killed 4 of my chickens. It just happened the local dog warden lived 2 doors from where the dogs lived and he saw them coming in my direction. After talking to the warden, he informed me these same two dogs had killed chickens at four other residences. The dogs owner paid a hefty fine and at the same time he paid me extra to buy more peeps.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correct. Facts are facts. But there's a big difference between facts and a belief in something.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 nights in a row 4 coons. Today i set two traps and changed the type of bait

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread