I HATE RACCOONS !!!

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is one reason why there are so many coons. No one trapping them, no one to buy the fur.
4C62C612-CD26-4F1B-B336-D627D2E5C7EC.jpeg

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well todays report ZERO COONS :) and ONE Opossum Maybe there thinned out for a while

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Skinning and processing raccoon hides can be rather labor intensive. Raccoons hides are generally very greasy, and time on the fleshing beam is required. Any trapper trying to make a buck wants to spend less time in the fur shed and more time maintaining and extending his lines.

All that hard work don't mean bupkis if ya don't have any buyers. These days I'd think most trappers would be better off sending all those hides into the tannery, and then spend the off-season crafting them into hats, gloves, etc. and selling them to the public.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Skinning and processing raccoon hides can be rather labor intensive. Raccoons hides are generally very greasy, and time on the fleshing beam is required. Any trapper trying to make a buck wants to spend less time in the fur shed and more time maintaining and extending his lines.

All that hard work don't mean bupkis if ya don't have any buyers. These days I'd think most trappers would be better off sending all those hides into the tannery, and then spend the off-season crafting them into hats, gloves, etc. and selling them to the public.
I do some hobby tanning and you’re right, ‘coon are greasy buggers and not easy to tan unless you get it right.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Number 12 this morning :(

Sir_Duck

Greenie
Jun 12, 2022
Could probably set up some bait in the yard and have a little target practice one night.

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
I’ve had good success with pepperoni slices 🤷🏻‍♂️. They’re also smart buggers who figure out that if they step on the paddle, the trap springs so they step over. A piece of cardboard that goes from the back of the trap and sits on the paddle will fix that though.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ZERO Critters today !! YEA !!!!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But I also have barn cats
THAT is why I am very reluctant to set leg hold traps or set out poison. Live traps at least give you the option to release the "bycatch" unharmed.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
THAT is why I am very reluctant to set leg hold traps or set out poison. Live traps at least give you the option to release the "bycatch" unharmed.

Poison should never be an option, even for mice. I've watched animals die from poisoning, and it is the most cruel, torturous, inhumane death an animal can have.

There are a number of effective dog-proof coon traps on the market, and you will find they are more efficient than regular foot-hold traps.

Here's one of the local moms grabbing a drink on my porch. As you can see, Luci (my cat) isn't the least bit concerned. I've never, not once in over ten years, had a coon act aggressive towards one of my cats. If they did, their life would end immediately.

cats n coon 060523.JPG

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I’ve removed cats from offset laminated-jaw legholds, and they run away, usually unharmed. Poison however I would never use.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I caught another raccoon last night
The coons do not run away from a 22 bullet either

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your issue with the coons is waining off, but still an issue. The hay in the barn would be ruined along with if they defecate on any leather gear for the horses.

Yesterday I had to take out a large male Porcupine, strike 3 it's out. Got a call from the Mrs that it was in the large tree above the coop enclosure. We had our sick hen below in the area, and there's no reason for this prickly devil to be hanging around in the first place.

We've had to keep the dog on the leash, couldn't run loose in the yard even with this porcupine walking around on the road, through the yard.
I never take pleasure in downing an animal, as this, basically harmless in nature, but a huge expense to the owners of a dog or other friendly pets that walk up to one.
Coons the same, go live over by the pond, or creek, stay out of the coop/berry patch and we get along in harmony.

The Fox hasn't made a showing this year, must of moved on or passed from old age. I graced it a few times for taking one of our chickens, as it had kits and need to feed was just there.
So 750ft of 8 foot chicken wire fencing for that fix.

There's no real good solution in this problem, and to one's post up slurs that onother enjoys killing animals.
( Kind of reminds me of a vegan going to a burger joint and bitching about the menu choices)
READ THE POST HEADER

I HATE RACCOONS !!!

Seriously did you think it was to show pretty pictures of coons?
Sorry state that is when they have no understanding in what another animal will do to another, spreading diseases through fecal matter, killing a whole flock just because they can.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Your issue with the coons is waining off, but still an issue. The hay in the barn would be ruined along with if they defecate on any leather gear for the horses.

Yesterday I had to take out a large male Porcupine, strike 3 it's out. Got a call from the Mrs that it was in the large tree above the coop enclosure. We had our sick hen below in the area, and there's no reason for this prickly devil to be hanging around in the first place.

We've had to keep the dog on the leash, couldn't run loose in the yard even with this porcupine walking around on the road, through the yard.
I never take pleasure in downing an animal, as this, basically harmless in nature, but a huge expense to the owners of a dog or other friendly pets that walk up to one.
Coons the same, go live over by the pond, or creek, stay out of the coop/berry patch and we get along in harmony.

The Fox hasn't made a showing this year, must of moved on or passed from old age. I graced it a few times for taking one of our chickens, as it had kits and need to feed was just there.
So 750ft of 8 foot chicken wire fencing for that fix.

There's no real good solution in this problem, and to one's post up slurs that onother enjoys killing animals.
( Kind of reminds me of a vegan going to a burger joint and bitching about the menu choices)
READ THE POST HEADER

I HATE RACCOONS !!!

Seriously did you think it was to show pretty pictures of coons?
Sorry state that is when they have no understanding in what another animal will do to another, spreading diseases through fecal matter, killing a whole flock just because they can.
In case you are ignorant on the lyrics, that came from Alice's Restaurant. Ever heard of the term "being facetious?" ..or, do you just like to stir the pot?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In case you are ignorant on the lyrics, that came from Alice's Restaurant. Ever heard of the term "being facetious?" ..or, do you just like to stir the pot?
Was this pointed at you?

No it was in general overall statement.

The world doesn't revolve around you-remember that.

Really what is "Alice's restaurant" anyways?
Just another slight on a member-then another disclaimer "Oh I didn't mean that-it was this"
Just sad-
" I want to kill. I mean, I wanna, I Wanna kill. Kill. I wanna, I wanna see, I wanna see blood and gore and Guts and veins in my teeth. Eat dead burnt bodies. I mean kill, Kill, KILL, KILL."

I would rather say what I really think of you in a PM, but a snivelling to the Mods would happen probably.

You have "TRIED" to engage me for the past month on the forum and I haven't responded.
So just Ignore me as I will you.
Like I stated in the Political section-I don't agree with your outlook on how children are being treated in this new world.
At that I'm done with your silly crap.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

This I understand..done it many a time.

As I've said; sometimes the thing that we have to do is the last thing in the world we want to do. After taking so many animal lives I began to ask myself, before I pulled the trigger, if there was any other workable solution that did not involve terminating a life.

Pepper: I've always considered a porcupine as a go-to survival food for those lost in the woods. They're slow, if put on their back are quite easy to kill, and are a great source of meat protein. For that reason I've always left them alone.

Did have to release a couple from very strong #2 coil spring traps, and it's absolutely no picnic. Damn things haven't got enough neck to get a snare pole around, and if ya give them a chance they'll slap the schnitz out of you with those tail spines. It was a dogfight, but in the end they waddled away...pissed off, but seemingly unharmed.

Last edited:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Was this pointed at you?

No it was in general overall statement.

The world doesn't revolve around you-remember that.

Really what is "Alice's restaurant" anyways?
Just another slight on a member-then another disclaimer "Oh I didn't mean that-it was this"
Just sad-
" I want to kill. I mean, I wanna, I Wanna kill. Kill. I wanna, I wanna see, I wanna see blood and gore and Guts and veins in my teeth. Eat dead burnt bodies. I mean kill, Kill, KILL, KILL."

I would rather say what I really think of you in a PM, but a snivelling to the Mods would happen probably.

You have "TRIED" to engage me for the past month on the forum and I haven't responded.
So just Ignore me as I will you.
Like I stated in the Political section-I don't agree with your outlook on how children are being treated in this new world.
At that I'm done with your silly crap.
This brings to mind another line, this time from Gone With the Wind, in which Clark Gable said, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" only in this case it should say,"Frankly, pepperj, I don't give a damn" what you think about me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions