OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This I understand..done it many a time.

As I've said; sometimes the thing that we have to do is the last thing in the world we want to do. After taking so many animal lives I began to ask myself, before I pulled the trigger, if there was any other workable solution that did not involve terminating a life.

Pepper: I've always considered a porcupine as a go-to survival food for those lost in the woods. They're slow, if put on their back are quite easy to kill, and are a great source of meat protein. For that reason I've always left them alone.

Did have to release a couple from very strong #2 coil spring traps, and it absolutely no picnic. Damn things haven't got enough neck to get a snare pole around, and if ya give them a chance they'll slap the schnitz out of you with those tail spines. It was a dogfight, but in the end they waddled away...pissed off, but seemingly unharmed.
Great Post Dizzy I have your same feelins but some times we need to fix the problem .

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Creskol, by quoting Gare with your Alice's Restaurant quote it appears as an attack on Gare and was removed.

Please move on if the thread on killing nuisance raccoons bothers you and please stop trying to get a rise out of PJ.

All members please leave any and all animosity from politics forum in the politics forum per our rules.

Thanks...

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great Post Dizzy I have your same feelins but some times we need to fix the problem .

Unfortunately, in most areas the natural predators that might pursue a raccoon are not present. They are tough fighters, and in most cases even a coyote will hesitate at taking one on, so the population just increases.

Around here, we have healthy populations of cougar, bobcat and bears. Don't know if a bear would have interest, but they'd definitely be on a cougar's menu.

The top-dollar pelts (a whopping $15) are coming from very, very cold places such as Alberta, Minnesota, etc. A good 'coon trapper can take a couple hundred a year, but as discussed there is just no motivation to do so. With such over population, Let's just hope disease doesn't step in.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Creskol, by quoting Gare with your Alice's Restaurant quote it appears as an attack on Gare and was removed.

Please move on if the thread on killing nuisance raccoons bothers you and please stop trying to get a rise out of PJ.

All members please leave any and all animosity from politics forum in the politics forum per our rules.

Thanks...
Yeah .. Of course it was. Geez Louise TH..

EDIT: ... and to set the record straight, I said absolutely NOTHING about " killing nuisance raccoons bothering" me. That, of course, is your interpretation, but I guess I will have to respect that since you're the boss. :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 Days in a row ZERO RACCOONS !!! YEA !!

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite impressed with the impact of these new ones that I got.
View attachment 2088042
My Benjamin Marauder seems to like these ones...
Img_3562.jpg

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just when i think i got them taken care of . I go out today and find 3 coons in my traps

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As they are removed, others will fill the empty territory. They don’t stop coming.
Nature doesn't like a void.
Coyotes are the same if they're in the area.
Take out the Alpha male, there's another one right behind it.
Need to install an electric fence line around the area that one is trying to protect.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need to install an electric fence line around the area that one is trying to protect.
Yup, killing every raccoon that goes on the property isn't the answer. Do a better job of protecting whatever you're trying to protect from the raccons and you won't have to kill anything. Bottom line, spend some money to keep the predators out instead of killing creatures that are just looking to survive in this world. This sort of senseless killing of animals is why so many people despise hunters and trappers.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, killing every raccoon that goes on the property isn't the answer. Do a better job of protecting whatever you're trying to protect from the raccoons and you won't have to kill anything. Bottom line, spend some money to keep the predators out instead of killing creatures that are just looking to survive in this world. This sort of senseless killing of animals is why so many people despise hunters and trappers.
Then maybe you care to explain why our dnr has people fly around our state in helicopters dropping poison pellets to kill the raccoons . They are getting over run with rabies 11

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup, killing every raccoon that goes on the property isn't the answer. Do a better job of protecting whatever you're trying to protect from the raccons and you won't have to kill anything. Bottom line, spend some money to keep the predators out instead of killing creatures that are just looking to survive in this world. This sort of senseless killing of animals is why so many people despise hunters and trappers.
No thanks, they are nasty, dangerous vermin, 4 of ten tested carry the rabies virus. I’ll eliminate every one coming onto my property.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Raccoons are one reason I really don't go outside at night anymore. There are other monsters in the woods, coyotes, bobcats, the occasional cougar, the herd of foxes but the raccoons 1) can't get to me 2) can't get to my three chickens and stay OUT!

Every fall I watch them lumber over to the Kousa dogwood tree (normally in a straight line, 5 at a time) and then lumber back to the woods an hour or two loaded. Drunk as all get out as they are eating the fermented fruit from the trees. Funny.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread