I have 2 leads close to the old Butterfield Stage building,Vallecito,Calif.

ghostdog

Apr 22, 2007
Ok, these are possible"s and maybe impossible"s. The 1st is what most are looking for,the Mexican bandit"s,buried $80,000 dollars in gold he stole from miners....The 2nd is where in 1948,a treasure seeker useing a early metal detector found a cache of Spanish coins dateing from 1665 to 1885. I have not been there myself,but would like to team up with someone who knows the area.Anything found ,by partner or partners,would be evenly spilt. My hunch is there might be more where the Spanish coins where found....If it is possible to search this area,than most deffinetly finds could made,no matter how searched it is.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
"Spanish coins dating from 1665 to 1885"?? Is this just a legend, or is there there some written account of this? Sounds more like a coin collectors stashe, rather than a period stashe. Ie.: If that were an actual cache from, say ... 1885 (the newest dated coin), then it is unreasonable that there were coins over 200 years older than that in circulation at the time! I mean, when a person, even in antiquity, goes to bury a cache of then-current savings, it is unreasonable that coins much over 50 yrs. old would be in circulation. I have dug thousands of coins from sites dating from European CA's earliest toe-holds (mission era sites) to western era sites (1860s and newer). At no site is there ever coins older than about 50-ish years from the date of wherever we're hunting. Sure, now and then we get a reale worn SO thin that it is nothing but a round silver feature-less disk. But never coins that are 200 (or even 100) years older than the site we're hunting.

So if what you say is true, it appears that a coin collector lost or stashed that. I have heard of that happening. For example: a kid got in his dad's coin collection, and takes them to his school (built 1940s) for "show & tell". At lunch time, the 4th grade kid, a loner seeking popularity, proceeds to pass out the coins to other kids in the school yard. Choice shield nickels, silver dollars, bust halves, etc.... are passed out by the handful. Fast forward to later that year: A friend of mine is detecting thinking he's angling for recent silver (mercs, etc...) and is shocked to dig a fairly shallow bust half! A little further through the sandbox and he get a shield nickel! By the end of his hunt, he had several more coins like this. He tells a friend. The friend tries too, and also gets more choice key 1700s/1800s coins from this 1940s school yard. Word circulates out amongst these guys friends, and pretty soon, a total of a few dozen coins like this were eventually recovered. Wierd theories abounded: Like "there must have been an old house here before this school was built" or "they must've brought these coins in with fill-dirt at the time the school was blt. in the '40s" etc..

But then one day, a janitor was watching a fellow detect. He came over to him, and recounted how ... the year before, a kid had gotten in MAJOR trouble with his dad, for bringing his dad's collection to school, and loosing most of it. When the dad had wised up to what had happened, he had contacted the school, who in turn had asked the teacher to have all the other class kids give back whatever coins might still be in their possession. Obviously the dad got back only a portion of the original coins. Most had been fumble fingered lost over the previous days, by kids who had no idea they were anything but play money or whatever.

So the point is, it is possible that coin collections can also be stashed, or fumble-fingers lost. In the case of coins ranging in age of over 200 yrs., it has simply got to this scenario. As such then, it could be something stashed in modern times even, if you think of it.

As far as your first story, the $80k stolen by mexican bandits: that sounds like one of the many legends that starts off as camp-fire stories, and gets embellished into actual fact. Is there anything more than treasure mag. assertions? I mean, for example, if you talk to the average mexican immigrant where I'm at in CA, EVERY one of them has a treasure story from their home-town. They are just CERTAIN that every backyard or cave has caches, gold, silver, etc... When you ask them "how do you know?", then the suggestions of Pancho Villa, the conquistadors, the revolutions, etc... all come out. When you press them further for how THEY got his treasure lead, it becomes apparent that it is nothing more than fancied legends. Ie.: someone told someone who told someone who told someone, etc.... They just assume that anyone who acted strangely 50+ yrs. ago, "must've buried treasure". Or any sparkle coming the soil meant "gold is here!". We got so frustrated by these superstitions when we were down there, that we began to ask the well-intentioned persons (who were imploring us to "come with them to such & such ruins, cave, or whatever"), "what is the source of your treasure lead?". If they came back with anything like "The virgin Mary revealed it in a dream to my 10 yr. old" or "I saw a fire in the corner" or "someone told someone who told someone who told someone.... blah blah", we would politely decline. In each case like this they were deeply offended that we didn't believe them. To them, it was absolute fact. And if the detector gave no beep in the cave, it was simply that the detector didn't go deep enough. etc... It was almost comical.

But my point of all this is, that ........ maybe some cultures are more steeped in superstition than others, but mankind is basically alike. We are fascinated by tales of treasure, and want so deeply to believe. So before you know it, passing comments, or kernals of truth, are spun into "absolute factual tales". But when you study the actual data, it's always just stories, etc... Or to the extent there was an actual news account of the period that detailed a theft, we md'rs just *assume* it must be hidden nearby. I mean, that would be like going through each bank robbery nowadays from current news accounts, and just *assuming* that the bandit buried it in his back-yard, or near the bank, etc.... Heck, the bandits probably partied and spent it! But to close that loophole, each legend always ends with something like "the posse caught them and hung them on the spot", or "they were shot in a gun battle, and the $$ wasn't found on the deceased", etc... This makes the assumption that the posse was honest and didn't pocket it themselves. Who's to say they didn't report back to their superiors, "gee boss, the $$ was gone durnit. What'ya know!"

Treasure stories are a dime a dozen. Your best bet to find treasure is ditch the dime-store books, and merely take a 2-box unit out to any ruins and abandoned houses you come to. Dig all large signals, and pass anything smaller than a soda can (perfect job for a 2-box unit). If you do this around enough old ruins, you will eventually come up with stashed goodies.

I'm not saying all treasure lore is superstition guys, I'm just saying C'MON, let's all be realistic, and put the vast majority of them in the class of embellished lore, unless they have absolute historic proof. Not just "someone said" type stuff.

OP
OP
G

ghostdog

Apr 22, 2007
Hi Tom, I have no arguments with your analagies.They all sound plausible to me. But my imformation is what it is,and the person that ressearched and wrote it, and found the coins is no longer in the here and now. It is not unreasonable to surmise that the finder located two seperate caches 1 more modern than the other in the same approximate location.The description of the Spanish coins found was as blackened silver,about 18 inches depth. How the coins were buried,in what material,and for how long,I have no idea. Rainfall could have sunk the weight of the coins to that depth,and tarnished the silver along with mold. Or maybe they were buried after a fire?
The Mexican bandit ,robbed returning miners from the North going back to their homes in mexico. After burying the gold,his horse was spooked,he was thrown to the ground and killed. His wife who was liveing with him at the closed Butterfeld station, found his horse and body together,but not the gold. I have left out other location pointer details.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ghost dog, thanx for the feedback. Do you see what you're doing? You're just repeating what "someone wrote" (and of course, as usual, no ones around to confirm it, no source witnesses, etc...) And odds are, if the author was around to interview, he, no doubt, "got his story from someone else who told him", etc.... Like, all the items in your second paragraph, are just the story you read somewhere. Where does all this get confirmed? If you really want to read some doozie treasure stories, pick up treasure mags from the 1960s and early 1970s. Those early mag's were just one "lost treasure" story after another. By the later 1970s of course, coin-hunting was the primary focus of md'ing mag's. But the earlier mag and books were just one lost mine after another. Read deep and between the lines, and you'll see most of them are just lore. Just someone supposedly talking to a dying man, blah blah .... Nothing, today, is ever questioned. The human psyche just wants so bad to believe, that before you know it, a "certain treasure just must exist".

Example: I've been into this for 30 years. It's funny how.... occasionally I've run into lookie-lous when I'm out detecting, and they begin to tell fantastic tales of how "this guy here 20 yrs. ago, and dug oodles of silver coins from a treasure and such & such vacant lot" blah blah. How did they know this? Because their reputable friend Bob saw the guy digging them and leaving with a whole bag of them, blah blah. After talking with the excited lookie-lou, the story becomes apparent: The lot the guy is talking about, is one I hunted during an old-town urban demo 20-ish years earlier. And the person this guy is aluding to is ME! And yeah, I got some seateds, a silver dollar, tokens, etc... and yeah, I remember a few passerbys who stopped to gawk. See what happens? One guy tells another guy, who tells another guy, and before you know it "a treasure was found by a mysterious man at such & such lot"! And strangely, when I tell the current lookie-lou "oh no, that was me, and those were just random demo. site finds", they just can't believe it. The surmise "it must've been someone else then, because I'm certain my friend Bob saw it correctly". I just give up and say "whatever". This scenario has happened to me many times. Stories just grow. Do you get it?

OP
OP
G

ghostdog

Apr 22, 2007
Tom, I dont get it, the author was the person who found the coins,and researched the story. He was out their looking for the gold,when he found the silver. The year was 1948. Simple, believe or don"t believe. Note : this is a area with a lot of lore and for good reason, a lot took place there over a long peroid of time.........

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,
Well it took a while but thank God I'm not the only one... This was the story that got me started in TH'ing. I was searching for any story involving a stage robbery at Valletta ( little valley ) Stage Station. I found 2 main stories, one is about a local bandit who hid out at the ( then deserted ) old stage station. One report says that he may have been on of Joaquin Murrieta's men, or just a man who found a good hiding place. Apparently the outlaw knew sooner or later the law would catch up to him, so he sent his wife on to Mexico. After she left he thought the gold would be better hidden outside rather than in the station. So he took 3 olla's full of coin and buried them somewhere in Potrero canyon ( now called Treasure Canyon ). A couple of days later Sheriff Rowland came to the station with a posse ( some of which were the robber's victims ) and found the outlaw. After a brief Q&A the outlaw was hung and no gold ever recovered. His wife did come back to the station and tried to find the olla's several times but to no avail. The area behind Valletta's can be hard to cover. It is thick with brush that can be over 5-7ft tall. here are some references for you
Valletta's Lost Treasure Urns Lost Treas 6/1978
Lost Treas of Valletta station Lost Treas 1/1990
Valletta Treas Disc w/Whites sect West Treas ????

Attachments

• valltreas.jpg
    valltreas.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 1,017
  • olla.jpg
    olla.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 1,112
  • vallin3.jpg
    vallin3.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 955
  • vallcolor.jpg
    vallcolor.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 1,114

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,
Let's take a breath here...... I see both sides of the issue... PLEASE... let me explain. To most of us we are " always " looking for some more info and some are very eager to believe as fact " all " the stories we hear. This may explain why some people feel that their research is more correct than another. Others ( like myself ) like to hear and story and then do my VERY best to proof it, by other people saying the same, or newspaper accounts, anything I can find. However, to the people of this times ( when a lot of these books were written ) lying was something that you just didn't do. So if a writer interviewed a local ( no matter what race or creed ) it is normal to consider that he or she is telling the truth... Unless the facts bear it out too wild. On the other side of the coin... the locals ( mostly native americans ) used to get great joy watching non-indian people go look for something they made up. They have been known to give great elaborate stories... and then watch the results.. So fast forward to today where people will lie when you simply say hello, they give a false name, or job or whatever. It is much more common today to lie then it was at a earlier time, and this maybe where some people feel that a particular person or peoples may not be telling the truth.. BUT no one should ever think that just because one person says something false that ALL will always lie.. That is where your personal convections come in. Just because lets say a cop is on the take that by no means mean " all " cops are on the take...

PLL

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
O.R.N.: I hadn't thought of it in the way you say. I figured that it is ok to say that ..... certain geographic cultures will take on certain social norms, depending on the way they're raised. Nothing to do with skin color or race. The same thing could be said of someone from the middle of communist russia, verses a hillbilly from Tennesse. They may have the same skin color and look exactly alike, but they have different norms, values, education, experiences, etc....

My area of CA has a lot of immigrants from Mexico, who follow the ag work up here. Although it's been going on since the 1950s & 60s, there is still, to this day, lots of first generation arrivals, continually. Any one who's been detecting here at parks, schools, beaches, long enough, will no doubt have run into the following scenario: As you're detecting, a mexican fellow watches from a distance. Finally, he gets brave and comes up to ask some questions, in his best broken english. (or sends his son or daughter to interpret for him). They'll always start off with "How deep can you detect with that?" to "back in Mexico, I know where a treasure(s) is buried if ONLY a guy could come down there with one of these" Mind you, they may be from remote towns or villages where modern gizmos like this are a rare site.

Why that doesn't happen with others (or with the same themes anyhow)? I dunno. I'm only reporting a statistical fact, and observation made by many of us :icon_scratch:

But getting back to the original topic of "embellished stories" that ........ decades later .... result in "absolute fact treasure leads", a friend of mine related the following incident: He was detecting an old town sidewalk tearout. One of the days, he found an antique gold pendant, with a few embedded jewels. At first, he didnt' know if it was real gold, or real jewels. It was in the shape of a dog. He showed it to a few of the construction workers who had given him permission to hunt. Eventually, after getting it tested, it turned out to gold plated pot-metal, with glass "stones". Not valuable, just an 1800's piece of costume jewelry.

A week or so later, he was out there during the next phase of sidewalk rip-outs. A new laborer const. worker watched him for a bit. Finally, the guy approached him telling of a "guy who had been out there the previous week, and found a solid gold pendant 'worth thousands of dollars'" blah blah. As my friend listened to the guy, he began to realize that the guy was describing the pendant that HE HIMSELF had found, and ...... no, it was valuable or solid gold. What had apparently happened was, as my friend showed the construction workers the item, along with some seated coins he'd found, they had, at that time, mused "I wonder if it's gold? I wonder if they're real rubies?" etc... By the time those workers tell a 3rd party, the story is morphed to be "gold treasure found!" And that's all in the space of a single week!

So you might say, in the example above, that this person who approached my friend, might consider himself a viable testament to the facts, since, afterall, he works the for the construction company too, and he talked, first-hand, the the witnesses, and he too, saw other fellows also treasure hunting, blah blah.

All I'm trying to say guys, is take what you read, even if from supposed "eye-witnesses" with a grain of salt.

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Hello Treasure hunting Comrades,

This is a very interesting post, Even if it may be a fruitless site it still has a wonderful story worth pursuing...I've hunted many Butterfield stage stop sites here in California, a few remain undetected for those of you wanting a taste of ever detecting a Butterfield.

I can see were Tom is coming from, Not because he is a friend but because I agree with him the many stories Mexican immigrants bring into this country and share with anyone who happens to have a metal detector.

Please note Tom said (Average Mexican Immigrant) not (Average Mexican,) His comment is not demeaning nor racist but to merely point out a group of Mexicans (Mexican immigrants) do share treasure stories and most of these tales have been changed and are no longer truth.

I am a Mexican....American citizen by Mexican decent...I can tell you Tom holds the utmost respect for all races, Sure he comes on strong sometimes but don't we all some time or another.

Anyway, Enjoy reading these type of stories and comments. Please continue to post your treasure stories.

Paul (Ca)

OP
OP
G

ghostdog

Apr 22, 2007
THANKS Paul for putting Tom"s words in their correct contex and meanings. I don"t believe he was being racist or selective, just describeing his experiences as he saw them. No harm,no foul. Lets"s get back to finding treasure without analizeing every comment typed or typ"o...........To agree to disagree with another is to get along .

El

Tenderfoot
May 16, 2007
Paul's right about Tom. He treats everyone with the upmost respect.

El

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Thanks Ghostdog,

I enjoyed reading your Butterfield stage stop story, Even though our state saw a short window of pre-1900 history we are so blessed the Butterfield stage was one of the few main historical contributions our state experienced after the Indians and Spaniards.

Please continue to post your treasure stories, I know many here will enjoy them as much as I do....Another good treasure hunter friend I have is Tenderfoot (El) which of course is a friend of Toms as well, I trust these two friends and we sometimes share sites between us.

I hope someday you and the others on this forum get the opportunity to meet El and Tom in person, Allot of historical wealth between the two of them.

Thanks again,
Paul (Ca)

MRDUKE

Mar 25, 2007
i have nothing to add to the story except to say i lived in vallecito, for about 3 years , i realy loved it , great place to live. only thang is i know peaple that lived in the county that had never herd of valliceto, not a hole lot there, but on a side note right next to valliceto is a road called parrets farry, if you take it down to a trailhead called nateral bridges ( about 4 or 5 miles down the road ) thay say there pretty good panning down there , though i can,t say for sure as ive never gone down there myself..

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,
Mrduke are you referring to the Vallecitos Stage Staion in Southern Cal near San Diego ??
That's where this story is from..
PLL

MRDUKE

Mar 25, 2007
ya your right i saw valliceto ,ca a just asumed we were talking about the same place , also there is a old stage stop there as well this place is in the middle of gold country, in tuolumne county

Rattler0216

May 30, 2008
Is the area near the stage stop in the park or outside, I'm very familiar with the area and it is mostly Anza Borrego State park around that stagecoach stop. If it's an area we could hunt I would be down to go look, even if we didn't find the treasure I'm sure there are others to be found.

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's on the edge of the park and there are ranger living quarters at the stage station as well. If you look at the "A" in Blair Valley and head south to the road ( gold color ) That's about where the station is.

abdspmap.gif

PLL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread