Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen the " Elephant "

What does it mean... and why. California miner's who left from points east were known to have said that they were " going to see the elelphant ". Here is what it means:

The Elephant

calphant.jpg

I think that I may without vanity affirm that I have "seen the elephant"
Louisa Clapp

To forty-niners and those following, no expression characterized the California gold rush more than the words "seeing the elephant." Those planning to travel west announced they were "going to see the elephant." Those turning back claimed they had seen the "elephant's tracks" or the "elephant's tail," and confessed they'd seen more than enough of the animal.
The expression predated the gold rush, arising from a tale current when circus parades first featured elephants. A farmer, so the story went, hearing that a circus was in town, loaded his wagon with vegetables for the market there. He had never seen an elephant and very much wished to. On the way to town he encountered the circus parade, led by an elephant. The farmer was thrilled. His horses, however, were terrified. Bolting, they overturned the wagon and ruined the vegetables. "I don't give a hang," the farmer said, "for I have seen the elephant."

For gold rushers, the elephant symbolized both the high cost of their endeavor -- the myriad possibilities for misfortune on the journey or in California -- and, like the farmer's circus elephant, an exotic sight, and unequaled experience, the adventure of a lifetime.

Thank for reading

PLL

MRDUKE

Mar 25, 2007
Re: I have seen the " Elephant "

i was under the impression that the turm came out of soldiers, going down to mexico to fight in the mexican american war, but that war was 1848, i thank , so it would seem to be used as a turm for young men seeking adventure of that period..

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico

According to George Wilkins Kendall, The Texan-Santa Fe Expedition of 1841, Texans were using the phrase "I've seen the elephant" already then. That's the earliest I've ever come across it as a direct quote from an eye-witness. When I first encountered it [Kendall might have explained it this way, or I might have just 'thought that must be what it's about] I figured it was because the elephant was the big attraction in most circuses in those days and once you'd seen that it was just winding down. But the way he quotes others using it usually was at times when things were going badly and they were going through 'I've had it!' moments. I think Captain Matthew [Old Paint] Caldwell was the first person Kendall quoted saying it during the Expedition.

I've come across mountain-man recountings where the phrase was used by mountain men such as "Rendezvous Reader 1805-1850" Edited by James H. McGuire, Peter Wild and Donald A Barclay [Univ of Utah Press 1997] and noticed it and wondered. I suspect the anecdotes of early mountain men using it was a linguistic anacronism... someone later knowing it was an old-timey phrase and putting it into those mouths. Reason being I've never seen it used in diaries or on-the-spot tales of mountain men by mountain men.

MRDUKE

Mar 25, 2007

boy i just love this kind of stuff . were meny peaple come togather to find the truth about history, i wish are school system worked that way for teaching history,

cptbild

Oct 3, 2005
NM/AZ/CA/Co/Utah & P.I. Tx.

Hey!
"I have seen The Elephant Too!" :thumbsup:
But!
Not For sure! :tard:
I was checking out some Spanish symbols thru my binoculars,
on a distant rock ledge
And!
There appears to be an "Elephant" among them!!!! ::)
That is/would REALLY be Strange !
If True! :icon_scratch:
SO!,
On this year's trip, I am going to climb up there a have close look & Photograph it ? !
If! So!
This would predate the above ones, in the 1800's, by a couple of HUNDRED years! :tongue3:

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Bill,
Not really saw this one over at Joshua Tree State park

PLL

PICT0854.JPG

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx

MAN!
That is Strange! (Your Elephant)
Are there any other signs around or in the area?
At any rate...
Even tho The Elephants are about 1200 miles apart :o
I feel better! ::)
Your photo proves that I DID !
SEE AN ELEPHANT! :tongue3:
I was beginning to think that something was wrong with my Binoculars ??? :tard:

cptbild

Oct 3, 2005
NM/AZ/CA/Co/Utah & P.I. Tx.

Now!
The Question(s) is/are..
1..What do they mean ?
And!
2..Who put them there?
???

(I would "guessimate" that they're Spanish...because the Spanish would
always leave a "space" ("see thru") under anything that might be mistaken for a Natural Formation

.ps.
Can I call you some evening and get the map coordinates? :icon_study:

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey cptbill,
I have a couple of..... interesting foto's for you. The 1st one is what I call " finger " rock

fingerrock.JPG

and the othe is called Skull rock. But I like to call it Homer rock..

homer rock.JPG

I don't know if they will help in your travels... but I hope you got a laugh out of it
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

PLL

Attachments

• fingerrock.JPG
    fingerrock.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 873
  • homer rock.JPG
    homer rock.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 904
S

stefen

Its like searching the clouds for forms.

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B

It appears ET is laying dead on his side in front of the skull. I clearly see his head arm and hand.

CivicDude

Greenie
Feb 15, 2009

not sure if its the same skull rock?

Attachments

• Skull Rock.JPG
    Skull Rock.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 801
OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yep that's skull rock.... But I think it looks more like Homer rock ;D ;D ;D

PLL

cicimm

Apr 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ELEPHANT ROCK

i was under the impression that the turm came out of soldiers, going down to mexico to fight in the mexican american war, but that war was 1848, i thank , so it would seem to be used as a turm for young men seeking adventure of that period..

Dear sir,
We saw a big rock shape of elephant and under its mouth there is a small hole going under....
Can you explain to us what it is meaning for treasure?

best regards,

Gultekin Cici
[email protected]
Turkey

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread