i have thousands of tons of quartz

runebar

Tenderfoot
May 9, 2022
i have a river sand extraction and i get a lot of quartz

i probably have around 5000m³ of quartz and other rocks stacked up

my region isn't a great gold producer but the 3 gold mines in the states are located 40-70km from my sand extraction and we share the same river (i'm down river)

can someone send me some photos of quartz rocks that might contain gold?

biggest rocks i have are the size of a football ball and i found some with what i believe to be pyrite

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-05-09 at 15.11.12.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-05-09 at 15.11.12.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 93
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-05-09 at 15.13.17.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-05-09 at 15.13.17.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 94
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-05-09 at 15.20.49.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-05-09 at 15.20.49.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 90
OP
OP
R

runebar

Tenderfoot
May 9, 2022
runebar , Welcome to the site & your first post ! For quartz that is stained or streaked with other minerals , look for black , red , purple ,orange or combinations of these colorations . This site has LOTS of pic's of these samples.
thank you for your reply

so white/golden quartz is useless? if that's the case is there anything i can do with these rocks? im selling at 5$/ton delivered and i'm having a hard time selling it

i'm definitly going to separate some rocks by color this weekend

Last edited:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you for your reply

so white/golden quartz is useless? if that's the case is there anything i can do with these rocks? im selling at 5$/ton delivered and i'm having a hard time selling it

I used to buy a lot of washed rock for roofing purposes.There were tons of rock like yours in among the loads,never saw any gold.This rock was from S.W.Arkansas around the Ouachita River area. 5 bucks a ton seems like a good price but maybe folks in your area just don,t need much rock. Good luck!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i have a river sand extraction and i get a lot of quartz

i probably have around 5000m³ of quartz and other rocks stacked up

my region isn't a great gold producer but the 3 gold mines in the states are located 40-70km from my sand extraction and we share the same river (i'm down river)

can someone send me some photos of quartz rocks that might contain gold?

biggest rocks i have are the size of a football ball and i found some with what i believe to be pyrite
Your post implies that you have what we call a sand and gravel plant. Some operations in gold areas here in the U.S. pan or process the sand screw sands (they are, in effect, a rough concentrate) when they clean them out. Those remains usually have a high percentage of heavy black sands and sometimes gold which they recover........Have you ever done any test panning?

Good luck.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you for your reply

$5 a ton delivered??! Are you being serious? I’m trying to think if that even qualifies as “selling”. How do you justify processing it, loading it, trucking it…for the price of 1 gallon of fuel? Quartz can carry gold, but it’s only profitable when it is extracted as ore. However you never know, you might just recover some pure 24k gold if you crush and pan some of your quartz rocks. Silver is also known to run with gold.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

runebar

Tenderfoot
May 9, 2022
Your post implies that you have what we call a sand and gravel plant. Some operations in gold areas here in the U.S. pan or process the sand screw sands (they are, in effect, a rough concentrate) when they clean them out. Those remains usually have a high percentage of heavy black sands and sometimes gold which they recover........Have you ever done any test panning?

Good luck.
I'm definitly doing that.

I already washed some sand and found what i believe to be pyrite but i think there's some gold particles too (just one or two, they are heavier than the pyrite flakes)

I'll send that washed sand to a lab to get tested

$5 a ton delivered??! Are you being serious? I’m trying to think if that even qualifies as “selling”. How do you justify processing it, loading it, trucking it…for the price of 1 gallon of fuel?
Exactly but tbf i normally sell 60 tons per trip so is not that bad

I'm doing that to get ride of them because they are occupying quite a space

Quartz can carry gold, but it’s only profitable when it is extracted as ore. However you never know, you might just recover some pure 24k gold if you crush and pan some of your quartz rocks. Silver is also known to run with gold.

I'm going there this weekend and i'll look for some quartz that is stained with other colors

Thanks for your replies guys :)

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm definitly doing that.

I already washed some sand and found what i believe to be pyrite but i think there's some gold particles too (just one or two, they are heavier than the pyrite flakes)

I'll send that washed sand to a lab to get tested

Exactly but tbf i normally sell 60 tons per trip so is not that bad

I'm doing that to get ride of them because they are occupying quite a space

I'm going there this weekend and i'll look for some quartz that is stained with other colors

Thanks for your replies guys :)
You must have a really nice truck to haul 60 tons per load.
I would love to know the model as well.
$5 per ton where are you located?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How far do you have to deliver these loads, in kilometers?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Runebar welcome to a fine forum. Your quartz pictures are stunning
Thanks for sharing

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
around 40km
Being that you haul 60 ton loads.
I now wonder how it's done when the legal load limits are less.

"The present legal limits in Brazil [1] establish a maximum GCW of 45 m-tons and axle loads of 6, 10, 17 and 25.5 m-tons respectively for steering axles, single axles with dual wheels, tandem axles and tridem axles."
So there seems to be some clarification on 60 ton loads
Would that be net weight or GVW?

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

runebar

Tenderfoot
May 9, 2022
Being that you heal 60 ton loads.
I now wonder how it's done when the legal load limits are less.

"The present legal limits in Brazil [1] establish a maximum GCW of 45 m-tons and axle loads of 6, 10, 17 and 25.5 m-tons respectively for steering axles, single axles with dual wheels, tandem axles and tridem axles."
So there seems to be some clarification on 60 ton loads
Would that be net weight or GVW?
let's say is gross weight...

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, make sure that you have gold. If you do, adding a simple gold recovery rag plant on to the sand section of your separator could be profitable.

Attachments

• DSC00186.JPG
    DSC00186.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 54
  • DSC00180 (3).JPG
    DSC00180 (3).JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 54
  • Yuba river nuggets_1st sidesm.jpg
    Yuba river nuggets_1st sidesm.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
R

runebar

Tenderfoot
May 9, 2022
runebar , Welcome to the site & your first post ! For quartz that is stained or streaked with other minerals , look for black , red , purple ,orange or combinations of these colorations . This site has LOTS of pic's of these samples.
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-16 at 08.06.51.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-16 at 08.06.52.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-16 at 08.06.51 (1).jpeg

like this?

i only found 3 rocks stained with red/orange...

the rest of them were mostly like this

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-16 at 08.06.52 (1).jpeg

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-05-16 at 08.06.52 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-05-16 at 08.06.52 (1).jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 31

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If there's no gold in your sand. I'd doubt there's gold in your bigger rock. The answer to your original question is that you should focus on checking your sand for gold as it is more likely you will find some and will be much easier to recover. Quartz is extremely common and doesn't usually indicate the presence of gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread