I helped a little

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
last June a production co. Called me and wanted me to teach an actor about gold panning for an upcoming series.

When i found out who and what the production was i got pretty excited.

signed an NDA so i haven't mentioned it.

drove out to Petaluma and near Bodega bay to work with Tom Waits for his upcoming role in the Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

His short is based on a story by Jack London

All Gold canyon All Gold Canyon by Jack London

It's a great Story if you are a prospector.

A very good description of loaming.

The character is looking for "Mr. Pocket"

The propmaster mailed me a couple old style pans and some "paydirt" to take wiyh me when I met up with tom.

The paydirt was from a Colorado hardrock mine...so, it was totally barren of gold :laughing7:

Luckily i brought some good cons with me and some chunks of "Mr .Pocket" to show Tom why his character had the fever.

Went over some facts and leends with him Had a great time. he was a cool guy as i knew he would be. i've been a fan for years.

I took "Mr. Pocket" with me and left him with the paydirt and about half a gram of placer and the cons to practice with.

I drove to Bodega Bay camped caught my limit of crab off the jetty the next morning and went home.

can't wait to watch the series. it is getting a lot of praise.

they teased me that i may fly out to Colorado for filming but, it didn't "pan out"

Upvote 0

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
awesome, i loved that short.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome Goldwasher. A friend of mine that knows I'm into gold prospection just recommended this series to me yesterday. Haha small world

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's really interesting Jarrod, I'm looking forward to watching it!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That was a great little movie.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sweeet!! :occasion14:

Now you've got to have a bragging hat made with "I taught Tom Waits to pan" on the brim.

I don't usually do the TV thing I'll be sure to watch the show.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweeet!! :occasion14:

Now you've got to have a bragging hat made with "I taught Tom Waits to pan" on the brim.

I don't usually do the TV thing I'll be sure to watch the show.

Heavy Pans
I've heard nothing buit good things.

its supposed to be a must watch for fans of westerns

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've heard nothing buit good things.

its supposed to be a must watch for fans of westerns

I recently watched it, good stuff!

However his panning technique was absurd. I’m sure you taught him better!

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just watched it too, it showed up right away on my Netflix recommended list because I keep watching whatever's western related on there. That was a great short movie, I think it's the most accurate portrayal of gold prospecting I've ever seen in a movie. Excellent job!

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im not old even

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
it looks like a consulting career opening up for you. Great work. I watched it last Friday and really enjoyed the loaming and the “ you didn’t hit nothing important” parts of it

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched it last night and it was very entertaining. Laughed at the didn't hit nuthin important part as well. Where are you living? I have a place in Bodega Bay. Love visiting it.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What a fun thing for you to help with!

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched it last night and it was very entertaining. Laughed at the didn't hit nuthin important part as well. Where are you living? I have a place in Bodega Bay. Love visiting it.

Inland near Placerville.

You ever rent it out? My wife and I try to take a little coastal trip after Christmas.

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From that preview I like the look of that movie GW :icon_thumright: I plan to watch it .

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I was able to watch it and I enjoyed it very much, the production value was quite impressive!

Was I the only one that noticed and thought it odd the way they portrayed the miner coming in and again when leaving the area he prospected. They made it a point to show that all of nature's wildlife life is interrupted when the miner comes into the area and then once he left the area they made it a point to show life returning to the area.

This really kinda made me think why they would need tomorrow portray this scene this way? It was at least to me very obvious that they made it a point to act as if the miner was interrupting nature just by being there.. just really don't understand the need for that part, kinda made mine sad that they choose to portray the situation in that regard.

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I was able to watch it and I enjoyed it very much, the production value was quite impressive!

Was I the only one that noticed and thought it odd the way they portrayed the miner coming in and again when leaving the area he prospected. They made it a point to show that all of nature's wildlife life is interrupted when the miner comes into the area and then once he left the area they made it a point to show life returning to the area.

This really kinda made me think why they would need tomorrow portray this scene this way? It was at least to me very obvious that they made it a point to act as if the miner was interrupting nature just by being there.. just really don't understand the need for that part, kinda made mine sad that they choose to portray the situation in that regard.

Its actually in the story when London wrote it. They did make it a point to "illustrate" it as much as possible. I noticed too.

When you see how London turned out it makes since.

The Movie was good I do have a little left to finish.

The irony and twists in the plots are great.

the humor is my kind of humor.

It is a very Western, Western. Good stuff.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah ok that makes much more sense thanks for the insight!

I like it enough to want to watch it again and that is a rarity for me these days

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread