Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went hiking today which I love doing this time of year and metal detected a litlle 1850s foundation that is right next to a public access pathway. This park used to be heavily used so it has been metal detected a lot in the past but managed to pull a few squeaks out of the iron. I have not dug anything earlier than 1880s for a long time so just wanted to dig a rosehead and ended up with a really cool brass tag from a saw. Hope you all had a good one, thanks for looking.

Attachments

• autumn glory.JPG
    autumn glory.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 182
  • deer.JPG
    deer.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 66
  • mounting stone.JPG
    mounting stone.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 61
  • castor.JPG
    castor.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 58
  • iron.JPG
    iron.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 59
  • ox knob.JPG
    ox knob.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 59
  • roundness.JPG
    roundness.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 83
  • sawtag.JPG
    sawtag.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 110
  • nonferrous.JPG
    nonferrous.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 111
  • back of tag.JPG
    back of tag.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Upvote 18

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went hiking today which I love doing this time of year and metal detected a litlle 1850s foundation that is right next to a public access pathway. This park used to be heavily used so it has been metal detected a lot in the past but managed to pull a few squeaks out of the iron. I have not dug anything earlier than 1880s for a long time so just wanted to dig a rosehead and ended up with a really cool lead tag from a saw. Hope you all had a good one, thanks for looking.
Those are some nice relics, and quite a variety! A homestead with cattle? I’d be there until there weren’t any signals left! Great work!

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice patch of woods there! Ours is so thick with those dang Asian Honeysuckles that you can't get through.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
cool medallion! Looks like you got an ox knob, too!

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
I went hiking today which I love doing this time of year and metal detected a litlle 1850s foundation that is right next to a public access pathway. This park used to be heavily used so it has been metal detected a lot in the past but managed to pull a few squeaks out of the iron. I have not dug anything earlier than 1880s for a long time so just wanted to dig a rosehead and ended up with a really cool lead tag from a saw. Hope you all had a good one, thanks for looking.
Lovely hunting area 👍

OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice patch of woods there! Ours is so thick with those dang Asian Honeysuckles that you can't get through.
thank you, some of the woods are like that here too, we have greenbriar and kudzu vine that runs rampant but there are little patches in deeper woods that have never been logged or clearcut and these 'old growth' parts of forest are usually a lot more clear of underbrush. First frost is today which helps too!

OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

thank you so much creskol, saved me some time which I don't have a ton of these days...I don't have a backsaw account so can't expand the pics but I'm thinking even though I'm detecting a site I'd guess to be around 1850s heyday I'm sure older stuff was brought into the area while occupied. This being so I'm thinking this may be slightly older based on script and border style (maybe 1830s-ish) but it most resembles the second one down in the pics I viewed. Love 'figuring it out' cool part of TH-ing!

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a great place to do a little walkin and findin, way to go!
Thanks Steve and absolutely, the bulldozers are coming though so I need to go back...I also got my prescription sunglasses knocked off my face by a huge pine tree and couldn't find them (and I had a metal detector :tongue3:) so need to do a search and rescue OP when the foliage is thinner

OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are some nice relics, and quite a variety! A homestead with cattle? I’d be there until there weren’t any signals left! Great work!
thanks Tom, definitely going back to find my lost sunglasses (long story) but bulldozers are approaching this place fast so going to do some satelliting of the site for field drops next week

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Scratching a few keepers out of a well hit site is satisfying in many ways.
Liking the saw nut.
Best of luck finding the glasses
Query: Is this being developed-bulldozer reference.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Scratching a few keepers out of a well hit site is satisfying in many ways.
Liking the saw nut.
Best of luck finding the glasses
Query: Is this being developed-bulldozer reference.
Thank you was a nice surprise..dug a big piece of iron near it and the artifact was masked by the bigger iron tone. Sadly yes, the entire world seems to be turning into a starbucks stripmall:crybaby2:. It is an old park that is being developed...the powers that be are widening the little two lane sleepy road to a main byway and already got the main home site near here (this is just a little privy/workshed foundation or something of that nature). If I don't get the glasses I'll try to imagine them as an offering for the keepers. Thanks for lookin'

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeap good ID, not sure if anyone spotted the small error below;
''lead tag from a saw''
These medallions are nearly always Brass.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wife is originally from Sheffield, so the saw tag would be my favorite. I wonder if they were using oxen to drag the timber? Good luck finding the glasses and I hope you can hunt the area well before the dozers scrape it.

OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My wife is originally from Sheffield, so the saw tag would be my favorite. I wonder if they were using oxen to drag the timber? Good luck finding the glasses and I hope you can hunt the area well before the dozers scrape it.
Oh thats cool small world eh? thank you I'm gonna try, this sites been good to me on past lockparts and gunparts found!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread