I keep seeing hawks lately?

Are you seeing more wild life come into your area?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Not Sure

• Total voters

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Hello all,,,
I put up a bird feeder last summer right after Punky passed away, but I didn't think it would draw in any of these...
hawk.JPG

I don't think his feet are going to fit on those small perches... ;D
I live pretty close to the center of town here and we used to hardly ever see any wild life, other than your normal birds, robins, cardinals, finches, pigeons, and maybe a bluejay here and there, but within the last few years I keep seeing the big hawks hanging around. He was even sitting on top the car for few checking things out...

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Hawks are so cool!
We see them quite often around here.

The past couple of years we've been seeing turkey vultures. I like birds; but those turkey vultures are ugly!
First time I saw one last year he was on the side of the road drying his wings.

We've always seen wild turkeys in groups of twos+threes. But, the last few years they are in big groups, a dozen or more.

Bear, moose, deer and fox have always been common around here.
Coy dogs are on the increase, too.

joecoin

Aug 22, 2007
milan ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov, Garrett Antique
I see more birds of prey than I ever have. Saw a Bald Eagle sitting on a deer carcass 2 weeks ago. I'm sure it is because of the banning if DDT, just took a long time for the populations to recover.

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
here is a hawk photo for you...

db

Attachments

• db photos 415.jpg
    db photos 415.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 379

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One, it's DEFINITELY a hawk... and to be more specific, I believe it to be a Red Tailed Hawk.
Two, I've been seeing a LOT of them lately... almost every time I'm out driving anywhere.
Beautiful birds for sure!!

Bran <><

auger

Oct 14, 2008
South Carolina
godisnum1 said:
One, it's DEFINITELY a hawk... and to be more specific, I believe it to be a Red Tailed Hawk.
Two, I've been seeing a LOT of them lately... almost every time I'm out driving anywhere.

Bran <><
Amazing how different a bird looks once you download and blow up the image. The vulture "head" I saw became a foot once I looked at a larger image....... my apologies.

joecoin

Aug 22, 2007
milan ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov, Garrett Antique
auger said:
godisnum1 said:

Bran <><
Amazing how different a bird looks once you download and blow up the image. The vulture "head" I saw became a foot once I looked at a larger image....... my apologies.

Ah yes, the Backwards Vulture, feared throughout the land. Sneaks up on its prey from behind. I see what you saw now. The old eyeball are the first to go.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have one of the largest numbers of nesting bald eagles in the USA about 2 miles from my house along the Arkansas River. You get so use to seeing them it's no big deal anymore, but I remember when seeing one was a novelty. I like to see them soaring right at daylight or just at sunset when the sun is low. At the height they fly the sun highlights their white head and it really stands out against the sky. Beautiful birds. Monty

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Thanks for all the great replies gang...
Looks as though most of us have seen an increase in the wild life in our area...
I suspected it would turn out that way as I'm sure, as it is here, new development is probably driving them out of their natural habitat...
I do enjoy seeing them but, I hope it doesn't upset the balance of things too much...
Have a great day all, & Happy hunting~

Thor!

Aug 30, 2005
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
1280X & Sovereign
JG_in_NC said:
Leon, The feeder could also attract mice and chipmunks. The hawk could be going after those.

Hawks love to hunt feeders that's where all the yummy tweety birds are. We were eeling early this year when all of the sudden a small group of bufflehead ducks splashed down and I mean straight down. There was a hawk right behind them that landed in a tree. Of course being the good Samaritan that I am I drove the boat toward the ducks to see if I could get them to fly so I could see the hawk catch one! Unfortunately I scared off the hawk as well.

dirt diva

Jul 4, 2008
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
CZ 7 pro quick silver CZ 70 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hawks are very aggressive,and opportunist when it comes to meals.Any bird or rodent,just about anything they can over power.I was turkey hunting and videoed a hawk swoop down and roll a adult gobbler,twice in about
a two minute span.When the turkey got up he ran into the edge of the woods.Lost a few feathers,but was ok. :tongue3:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah yes, the Cooper and Sharp Shinned hawks are both famous for being "bird feeder" hawks. We had a Coopers fly into our window the other year, he was semi-concious for a few minutes and eventually took off again. They sure love Morning Doves.....

Don

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
I seen what I thought was an Owl the other day driving home, but looking at these pictures, maybe it was a Hawk? I don't know for sure. I was driving and didn't get a real good look. I know there is one big ol Owl not far from where I live. He's beautiful and huge :o He came over my yard and sat in a tree for a while. I was hoping he'd stick around but he didn't. He's not far from my house so I at least get to see him now and then.
I have a woodpecker who seems to like my carport posts LoL He's insistant on making a home inside the 4x4's. It's a no go but he just won't give up lol

Apr 27, 2008
rhode island
Detector(s) used
titan 1000 xd
we've always had some deer in our yard... we've seen a couple hawks, one was swooping down at something... maybe our cat, maybe birds. we've also had a bunch of HUGE wild turkeys in our yard. :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread