I know its a whistle, but????

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
I know it's a whistle, but????

Found this in a pile of drift wood on the edge of a lake in North Texas. I have never seen a whistle in this form before.
dimensions: at widest point= 2" aprox
L = 2" aprox
D = 1/2"
It has been hollowed out from one end of the T and contains a dowel like agitator, wooden ( the movable part inside) that is about 1/2 long by aprox. 1/8' in dia.

When blown softly, it sounds like distant crickets at night.

Some old timer was a real carver.

Anyone here ever seen one like it? What is the story?

dsc00058.jpg

Thanx,
BW

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Re: I know it's a whistle, but????

Bumping topic to top.
To me this this seems like a pretty well made bird call, given that it's clearly hand made.
I know we have hunters in our midst that could narrow down this idea, or disprove it, as necessary.
Welcome to TreasureNet BW.

Upvote 0

Pangus

Jul 2, 2005
Georgia

Ya'll ain't never seen a cricket caller? We use 'em all the time on the river bank. You keep givin' it a toot every lil' bit and the crickets will sort of follow the noise. Makes it easier to find 'em. That way you have fish bait all day and night that you never have to pay for. They're very handy. The trick is figurin' if its a male or female call. 'Cuz the males are easy to draw out and will show up year round, but the females are a lil' harder headed like human women and wont just come out in the cold or day all the time. You can tell the male call cuz its higher pitched to sound like a female, but you would only know the difference if you had a female call to compare it with. I'd check it for an 'm' or 'f' somewhere on it. Otherwise, it may be a bad call or one that someone could determine which gender it called. You should call some crickets with it next time you're fishing. If you don't get any, it's prolly too high or low pitched and may be why it was left behind. The technique isnt much. Just a toot here and there. Just be careful, too high of a pitch tends to attract and irritate watersnakes like water mocassins. And too low, has a vibration similar to the signal wasps and hornets use to signal aggression. Also, mind your length of call, cuz a long call will travel farther but is much more forceful and may make the inadvertant calling of pests worse, and too short a call will be perceived as meekness on your part, and we know what nature does to the weak ones. So just don't play it too long or too short and make sure its not too high or low in tone or you'll end up calling out something bad. You know what, you better just leave it to the professionals. And get an ol' fisherman to teach you the right way to call crickets. Take that call to the baitshop, a real bait shop run by an old man or someone similar, not walmart or wherever, and ask if he can hook you up with someone that can teach you how to call cricket bait with your call. He should be able to help you if he's a decent baitman.

Either way,
That's a good find and some cricket caller is prolly pretty sore he lost his call, cuz you cant just buy 'em at the store, but I wish you could.

Upvote 0

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The idea of a 'simple' wood carved caller that can make all these different calls is rather cool :D I want one!

Such a caller have never been commercially available due to lack of enough highly skilled wood carvers ;D

It's a neat find and I'll guess it's a wood whittling of sorts (could be an uncompleted whistle/caller).

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread