🔎 UNIDENTIFIED I know it's an overall button, Need info on maker

YBnormal

Oct 21, 2017
Albany Ga.
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Troy Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I already know that is an overall button, but I have never seen this brand. I certanly have never seen one with a civil war. Ironclad on it. I would love to see any info on the maker and timeframe they may have been made. It was dug on a site that produces artifiacts from pre civil war up thru about 1950s.

thanks

Attachments

• ironclad overall button.jpg
    ironclad overall button.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 102

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Never seen one posted up before, very nice recovery. :occasion14:
I looked at a lot of overall buttons online and got zippo-sorry no help on the ID

Upvote 2

Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec II, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I already know that is an overall button, but I have never seen this brand. I certanly have never seen one with a civil war. Ironclad on it. I would love to see any info on the maker and timeframe they may have been made. It was dug on a site that produces artifiacts from pre civil war up thru about 1950s.

thanks
Very cool button, I hope someone can help you find out more about it.

Upvote 1

BBJJBB

Apr 12, 2022

thanks
Looks like a Civil War Iron Clad ship.
Is that a Confederate X on the flag?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
YBnormal

YBnormal

Oct 21, 2017
Albany Ga.
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Troy Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a Civil War Iron Clad ship.
Is that a Confederate X on the flag?
I think it is unlikely, The style of ironclad is like the Union's ships with two stacks. I belive the confederate ships had only one stack.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
YBnormal said:
> I think it is unlikely. The style of ironclad [on your overalls-button] is like the
> Union's ships with two stacks. I believe the Confederate ships had only one stack.

YBnormal is correct. When most Americans think of a yankee ironclad's shape, they see the "circular turret on a flat raft" shape of the Monitor-Class ironclads. But the yankees did produce "river warfare" ironclads which had a sloping shield like the Confederate ironclads. Here's a link to photos of one of the seven City-Class civil war ironclads, the USS Cairo. Those photos show the two-smokestacks ironclad on the overalls-button. The USS Cairo sank in the Yazoo River during the Vicksburg Campaign when she struck two Confederate mines almost simultaneously.

Upvote 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread