I need help A.S.A.P

pearson

May 7, 2014
Gastonia, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030. Minelab 705, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a large property on which I have been given 20 days from today to search. The home on the property was built in 1840. The area I need to search is by a light/lamp post which now no longer exists. The family doesn't recall that far back where that light post was located, and do not have any available photos from the time period. Does anybody have any suggestions? Is there any site that has historic aerial photos? I'm in NC.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Google Earth might show some soil irregularities indicating the area you want to search. And it is a free download...

OP
OP
pearson

pearson

May 7, 2014
Gastonia, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google Earth might show some soil irregularities indicating the area you want to search. And it is a free download...

I'm looking for a quart jar of either gold, or gold coins. The homeowner's father in law had his uncle bring a jar full of gold back from California, during the gold rush. He buried it, witnessed by the father in law in the front yard near a light or lamp post. The uncle went back to California and never returned. The father in law- always told the son and daughter in law not to sell the property. He got dementia really bad and eventually died as a result. I have asked for old pictures, and so far have not come up with any. the property is about 20 acres. the front yard is maybe 7 acres......I have 20 days....thanks for all the help.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was in the front, chances are it was close to the house and the driveway. Are both still visible?

dokc

Oct 24, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start to the left of the driveway area. Most light posts are near the driveway entrance on the left hand side so you can find your way in. Try about 1/3 the way up the driveway if there are street lamps. If there are no street lamps I would start 1/4 way in. The other area I would try would be about 20feet from the house on the left hand side of driveway - again it was to light the way to the house from the car. I would bet that the area closer the house would be right so they could keep and eye on the area. Good luck!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forget the maps, just get out there and put your coil to the soil!! :skullflag: Its most likely going to be really deep (over 2 feet) that any standard metal detector won't find. :dontknow:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

OP
OP
pearson

pearson

May 7, 2014
Gastonia, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was in the front, chances are it was close to the house and the driveway. Are both still visible?[/QUOT

I do know there was a main driveway that is not in existence anymore...I know where the entrance was but not the entire path.

OP
OP
pearson

pearson

May 7, 2014
Gastonia, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was in the front, chances are it was close to the house and the driveway. Are both still visible?

The original entrance of the 1st driveway, I know where it is. Its path to the house is a 100 yards and I don't know that path

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you saying it was a gas or oil lightpost? That would have been a very affluent family!

"I'm looking for a quart jar of either gold, or gold coins. The homeowner's father in law had his uncle bring a jar full of gold back from California, during the gold rush. He buried it, witnessed by the father in law in the front yard near a light or lamp post. The uncle went back to California and never returned. The father in law- always told the son and daughter in law not to sell the property."

If the owners father in law saw it they are all verrrrrrrrry old! Maybe they all have dementia?

[h=3]Calisphere - 1848-1865: The Gold Rush Era[/h]

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyway, if your time frame or era is a century off you might try detecting for the electric line, usually they are not that deep.

OP
OP
pearson

pearson

May 7, 2014
Gastonia, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start to the left of the driveway area. Most light posts are near the driveway entrance on the left hand side so you can find your way in. Try about 1/3 the way up the driveway if there are street lamps. If there are no street lamps I would start 1/4 way in. The other area I would try would be about 20feet from the house on the left hand side of driveway - again it was to light the way to the house from the car. I would bet that the area closer the house would be right so they could keep and eye on the area. Good luck!

Good thinking....thanks for that info

OP
OP
pearson

pearson

May 7, 2014
Gastonia, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uhhhh.hmmmmm...what's the word I'm looking for....nope...

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What machine are you using? Use the GPS feature on a CTX and 17" coil and grid the heck out of it. You can cover many acres in 20 days!

Last edited:
OP
OP
pearson

pearson

May 7, 2014
Gastonia, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The house is still there....over 5,000 sq. Ft. The original driveway isn't there only the point of entrance

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any good metal detector should get a reading on a jar of gold down to 4 or 5 feet

My gold master V-SAT got a very good signal on 5 inch rocket warheads at 6 to 8 feet.

Use the biggest coil you have and lay out a string grid with 6 foot squares so that you have a good search pattern. Flag all signals and dig later starting with the best signals going to the worst.

Don't discriminate because someone may have forgot that the jar was in a metal container.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread