I need some Help with a pic of a gravestone.....Waverly City Lancaster County

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello From Illinois

I am putting together a CW display for my local Museum and need a picture of a ILL CW veterans headstone...

In particular I am looking for one MANASSA T HOUSER

Houser Manassa T. BORN 12-1832 DIED 7-8-1910
He was in the 98 IL Infantry Co. G
And is buried in Waverly City at Rose Hill Cemetary Lancaster County NE

I believe he was the owner of an item I found here in IL ....

If you could help me out with the picture I sure would appreciate it....

Thanks Soup

OP
OP
S

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure could use that Pic ;D

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Waverly isn't that far from where I'm at here in Lincoln. If I get a chance this weekend, maybe I'll swing by their cemetery and see if I can find his tombstone. If I do, I'll take a picture of it and post it.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soup,

I checked with Find A Grave, no luck with the Houser name in the Rose Hill Cemetery. In fact, no Houser listed in their database. I then clicked on the name in google and it led me to Ancestry.com message board where I found information that you had requested. Good research on your part. Was hoping that the cemetery would of had his headstone pictured. Hopefully, nebstater will get a pic for you.

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a note to let you know, that this may take a little longer than I had expected. First off, I haven't been able to find a cemetery with the name of Rose Hill. At the present time, I'm of the opinion that it was a "family" plot, but will check with the Historical Society and see what they can tell me.

I also ran the name thru Ancestry.com, and Findagrave, with negative results. Waverly doesn't have a library, as they use the one here in Lincoln, so will see what I can find out there and at the Historical Society. Will let you know what I come up with. Like all ancestry checks, no gurantees.

OP
OP
S

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Nebstater,

Appreciate the help more than you know...

Here is the addy were I found his burial http://www.civilwarmuseumnc.org

Alot of people spell his name differently,took alot of searching to find him on ancestry.com....I actually started a tree for him and have 80+ relatives of his....I have even spoken to a few of them...which is pretty cool ;D
If you use M T Houser=== location Nebraska there are a few records on ancestry....I will say that site is a hit or miss adventure :icon_scratch: and could use some tweaks.... ;D

As far as the cemetery, I think it is just the Waverly Cemetery (hoping)...I had no luck with the rose hill name either......

If it helps His wifes Name was Talithia (sp) C....not sure if she is buried next to him or not....might snap a picture of her headstone to if it is there...and any other Housers that might be right there with him...

Thanks for looking also RIverRat....this has been a long project...started it the fall of 2010 and intend to see it through...as far as no Houser's...one things for sure,the ones buried here are getting posted @ F A Grave....

Soup

OP
OP
S

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did some more digging and found it is the Waverly Cemetery....right across from the schools there at the corners of Heywood St and N. 148th street......I sure hope the headstone is still there.....Oh if you can get your hands on some chalk it is helpful to highlight worn headstone lettering...and it washes off with the next rain :icon_thumleft:

found the info here http://www.suvcwdb.org/home/search.php?action=list

Thanks
Soup

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today, the wife and I drove over to the Waverly cemetery. We found where in the cemetery that he was buried, but he does NOT have a headstone. He is buried in Section 2, Plot 126. A view of that area, and a search of the index for the cemetery, revealed that included as being buried in that plot is a Robert H. and Lois E. Houser, and a Virginia Sutton. I don't know if this Robert H. is a son, uncle, cousin, or some other relative, but I can send you a pictures of his (Robert H.) gravesite, if you want it. There is enough room next to the right side of the grave, for an unmarked grave.

Sorry, but can't get you a photo. If you want the pictrue, send me a private mail, and give me your email address, and I'll send it direct to you.

Larry

OP
OP
S

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Larry

I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to do this for me,It is sad that a former soldier has no marker to show where he is buried,per your info I shall see if that can be remedied....As to Robert,I believe from what I have found he was a son...And will make a nice edition to the family tree I am building for Manassa...Lois was Roberts wife,Virginia I have not tracked down yet....But I will...
Thanks again for the effort.... :thumbsup:

Soup

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread