๐Ÿ† HONORABLE MENTION I need your help finding people. UPDATED with PICs:

Silver

Nov 24, 2007
sell your gold on eBay there is a scrap gold catorgy . i sold 4 old plain 14 k rings about a month ago and my daughter figured it up .we got 89 percent of melt. they go crazy for it there in the last 10 seconds 3 votes came in and raised the current bid by over 200 dollars . I took it to a local pawn shop first just to see there offer eBay beat it by 210 dollars in the end

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well with 50% of marriages these days failing -- it not a surprize that things turned out like that .

your plan was well meaning -- but the best laid plans of mice and and men........and the road to .....is paved with good intentions . -- nice try though your hearts in the right place. :thumbsup:

engagement rings are returned if no marriage takes place --wedding bands belong to the wearer as they by tradition are "given' to the wearer during the event by the other party . --its also clearly marked so -- from elsie to winston -- thus for better or worse its winstons ring * now what does he want to do with it?

legally speaking now that you know the "legal" owner -- you can not just "convert" his property into "your" property without his ok -- if you keep it or sell it without his ok its legally a form of theft in the eyes of the law -- known as theft by convertion * knowningly keeping another persons property from them for your own benifeit -- which is why most folks do not seek out owners of things , because once a owner of a item is found by law in most places you must return their goods to them without them having to pay you a reward or finders fee of any type , they do not even have to say "thank you"--pretty thankless but true --because by the law its the "right" thing to do.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm almost sorry I found them...lol.

I think the engagement ring rules vary from state to state and in some places it depends on who called off the wedding. The whole breach of contract thing comes into play. Wedding bands are the property of the wearer.

I would not sell the ring since it could open you up to legal issues. I would contact him through Facebook and make sure if he tells you to keep it that you have it in writing. If Elise makes a stink I would tell her you spoke to your lawyer and they stated that since the ring is property of Winston and due to the circumstances she may not have his best interests in mind that you were advised to contact Winston directly.

Oh the drama...
NJ

OP
OP
deathhare

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok guys Im sending it to Bell. End of story. :P

Just kidding, sorry Bell. ;D

So a little more drama. I told you that Winston and I have a mutual friend. I just talked to her and she says that she grew up with Winston. Around the year 2000 she started dating Winston's younger brother. This brother then died in the 9/11 WTC attack and because of both their loss, she and Winston became close friends.

I contacted Winston thru Facebook and now will see whats happens.
Its his ring and if he wants it he'll get it back. Even though he may sell the thing for cash, I cant keep it or the money I would get for selling it unless he says he doesnt want it.
Hey, like someone else said, maybe Ill get an Honorable Mention on here and go on to find something even better for doing this deed. :hello2:

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deathhare said:
Ok guys Im sending it to Bell. End of story. :P

Just kidding, sorry Bell. ;D

So a little more drama. I told you that Winston and I have a mutual friend. I just talked to her and she says that she grew up with Winston. Around the year 2000 she started dating Winston's younger brother. This brother then died in the 9/11 WTC attack and because of both their loss, she and Winston became close friends.

I contacted Winston thru Facebook and now will see whats happens.
Its his ring and if he wants it he'll get it back. Even though he may sell the thing for cash, I cant keep it or the money I would get for selling it unless he says he doesnt want it.
Hey, like someone else said, maybe Ill get an Honorable Mention on here and go on to find something even better for doing this deed. :hello2:

:hello2:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
:happy1: it popcorn eating time till we see see how this drama ends

OP
OP
deathhare

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, Winston finally got back to me.
He was super shocked and I was glad to see how happy he was that I found it.
He thought his dog had swallowed it 11 years ago. :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Anyway, the ring is heading to its owner and I'm happy its going home. ;D

Thank you all for your input, interest and assistance. Its been a fun experience and even though I dont get cash for the ring, I have a great story and made someone happy to get their property back. Those things are honestly worth a lot more to me. :hello2:

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With a little help, you did a good deed and built a load of karma!! Your next gold will be better,
AND you'll get to keep it. :headbang: :hello2: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Perhaps Jeff will see fit to move this over to; "HONORABLE MENTION" where it now belongs

Thanks for being you!!

Eagle

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EagleDown said:
With a little help, you did a good deed and built a load of karma!! Your next gold will be better,
AND you'll get to keep it. :headbang: :hello2: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Perhaps Jeff will see fit to move this over to; "HONORABLE MENTION" where it now belongs

Thanks for being you!!

Eagle

I agree Good job!

OP
OP
deathhare

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EagleDown said:
Your next gold will be better,
AND you'll get to keep it.

Sounds good to me! :blob7:

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm glad it all worked out...this is definately one of those 'its a small world' stories.

Good job...now ride the karma train to your next find.

NJ

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
time for a new HM member -- you did the right thing * frankly I'm really surprized you were able to find winston with so little to go on -- thankfully elsie is also a very odd name as well so the combanation of the two odd names really helped in solving this one -- lucky for you it wasn't " from mary to john "

OP
OP
deathhare

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol...Mary and John would have been out of luck. :laughing9:

Yeah its great that N.J.THer was able to locate a number online.. :icon_thumleft:

Im just happy its on its way home after 11 years. :hello2:

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's one of the most interesting stories on a ring return. Congratulations on getting it back to its rightful owner!
:hello2: :hello2:

OP
OP
deathhare

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mr_larry said:
That's one of the most interesting stories on a ring return. Congratulations on getting it back to its rightful owner!
:hello2: :hello2:

Thanks. I have to say its a great story to have in my life.
Such random chance involved. I love it. :)

OP
OP
deathhare

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a nice message from Winston on Facebook...

That is still just unbelievable. I am blown away that you put forth such an effort to find us. Although I am a glass half full person, this is one of those moments that confirms my belief that the world is basically full of good people. This is an act of selflessness that i will never forget. Talk to you soon. Wow. Winston

Great guy. :)

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deathhare said:
Got a nice message from Winston on Facebook...

That is still just unbelievable. I am blown away that you put forth such an effort to find us. Although I am a glass half full person, this is one of those moments that confirms my belief that the world is basically full of good people. This is an act of selflessness that i will never forget. Talk to you soon. Wow. Winston

Great guy. :)

And THAT thank you note is worth more than any possible monetary reward!!
And deep lifelong friendships have started on less. :thumbsup:

Eagle

OP
OP
deathhare

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just realized I didnt upload these final pics.
The last moments for me to have and hold the ring... Its kinda funny because I remember so clearly the first moment I saw the ring and held it. Of course, I was ecstatic to have found gold. Boxing it up and looking at it for the last time, I felt not only happy it was leaving for home but also kinda sad to see it go and the story to end.
I hope the ring will be treasured as a memory and not just scrapped. Either way, its out of my hands. :icon_sunny:

The last sight of the ring for me...
Since Winston asked me to send it to Elise, I wrote her a little note.

L1020880.jpg

Goodbye little ring. :laughing9:

L1020881.jpg

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was a stand up thing to do by Winston and have you send the ring to his ex since she asked for it back.

Deathhare, Job well done.

NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread