🥇 BANNER I STILL CANT BELIEVE IT-! chain-cent 1793.

jfx55

Apr 13, 2006
new jersey/pa/bucks county
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
fisher1266-x whites 6000 pro whites 5900 di pro/nautlis 2b
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Picture 152.jpg
    Picture 152.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 11,089
Upvote 4
K

KirkTN

Wow!!!!!! I'd be affraid to send it off anywhere. I'd have to figure out someway to make arrangements to hand deliver it to the cleaning pros. Outstanding Outstanding Outstanding. and one other thing, OUTSTANDING!

mikesand

Feb 5, 2007
SE bucks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
BH Lonestar/ BH Pinpointer
Teknetics Liberator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. This is one of the reasons i got into detecting. My mother was doing yardwork at her house and while raking up grass and leaves into the street she heard a metallic ring. Lo and behold she picked up a metal disk and with some dish soap cleaning she found herself a 1793 chain cent! She has been offered 10 grand by a collector in TX but decided to hold onto the coin and put it away in safe keeping. I have searched the crap out of her yard and found old wheats and some silver but nothing close in age to the chain cent. Anyway congrats, cause this can be considered a pinnacle of your detecting days. BTW, where are you located. I noticed you have bucks listed as your home turf. I am in SE bucks.
HH
Mike

soopacee

Apr 27, 2008
Pottsville, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Nel Tornando,
Garrett Carrot PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get it slabbed.....then sell ;D

OP
OP
J

jfx55

Apr 13, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the coin sold today 11-06-10 $6,300. hope someday i will find another, (sigh) :notworthy:

B

Bev

Skrimpy said:
Colonial Zoyboy said:
jfx55 said:
Bertman said:
Sweeeeet... Sure am glad to see that amazing piece of American history...
Can't wait to see it cleaned and slabbed...

HH Robert thank you all very much-! i not sure what i will due as far as cleaning it up more. but i can say its not going to be sold.

Amen to that. :thumbsup: I, too, probably would not sell either.

I would say, whatever you do with it, cough up the scratch to have a pro clean it. I know some here are very knowledgeable on cleaning coppers but the problem is that the coin is potentially a 60,000 dollar coin (redbook vf40 2008 value of the rare variety). Take it to a coin shop just to get the dirt off so you know exactly what that coin is, then send it off to a service for preservation and slabbing. If you DIY that cleaning and mess it up, you are potentially out 67,000 bucks, and are at least out 2300 bucks (redbook g3 2008 value of common variety). On the other hand, if the pros screw it up, they have insurance...and you can sue them for it's value and buy a new one...you should also put it on your homeowners insurance, especially if it's the 60,000 dollar variety.

What? How much? WHAT? :o I'm speechless!!!!

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on an amazing find.

This is the best hobby in the world.

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

COINIDIOT

Greenie
Apr 13, 2011
Hi everyone, I need help. I am commenting here because I have a copper chain cent amongst a ton of other coins my grandfather left me. I called a dealer today who was rude so I refuse to go to him. Can anyone recommend a dealer or appraiser in NYC area who I can go to to have all this stuff looked at? I didnt think it would be worth anything because of the condition but I see the other on here and mine is bright and shiny front is a worn off. I dont know anything about this stuff, hence the name lol.

fieldslayer

Jun 13, 2010
relocated south jersey veteran finder
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WAY TOO GO !!! The stuff our dreams are made of ! Of course, these are SO hard to find in any condition , but yours has a very visible obverse to boot !!! The weaker struck front was the 1st to go , so often. CONGRATS , and Banner all the way !!!!!!!!!

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinidiot, yours is not a chain cent, yours is a Fugio. A great coin in it's own , but not a chain cent.

treasurepirate1

Aug 21, 2010
Ontario canada
Detector(s) used
fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the chain side looks cleanable but i would wait and think it over before even attempting to take off the encrusted copper oxide and dirt slag

OP
OP
J

jfx55

Apr 13, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup
found this on saturday at a stone foundation near a old well opening in the woods. when i dug it it looked kinda fat.(thick) and on sunday got around to cleaning it up and this is it-! man its like hitting the lottery-!!. all the large cents i found over the years never thought i find one of these.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread