I think I found a firestarter on Sanibel Island?

Feb 19, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to preface this by saying I know nothing about native artifacts other than what the prior 20 minutes of research was able to provide me. I found a weird shaped rock on Sanibel Island, Florida back in December.

When I first picked up the rock, I thought the little pocket might have been caused from one of those snails that bore into shells to eat the meat inside, and one had mistakenly gotten a rock. I don't think a snail is capable of doing that to a rock though, especially with how smooth and uniform the little bowl is.

Anyway, I was thinking it might be a firestarter, but most other firestarters I found online were very round, not long like this rock. I also noticed that the rock fits perfectly in my fingers when i clasp it, even has a little nook for me to pinch between my thumb and forefinger. I don't know if it's quite visible in the photos, but on the back of the rock, there are slight indents where my middle and pointer finger pads naturally rest, like it was worn away with use over time. I realize these might be coincidences in a very, very unusual rock.

If anyone has any information for me, I would greatly appreciate it!

510.jpg 511.jpg 512.jpg 513.jpg 514.jpg 515.jpg

Edit: if you need more pictures or details, please let me know!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is just my thoughts on this subject and keep in mind I have hunted and collected for 50+ years. While not an "expert" by any means, I will stack my knowledge up against anyone.

That said, I have never believed in the "Firestarter" stones. Are there stones out there that may have been used as a Capstone on a Bow Drill, possibly, but I have yet to ever see one that may actually be one with the exception of one or two and even those could have been something else. Your piece is most likely just formed by something eroding out and millions of years of erosion or battering by wave action along the island caused the divot. It doesn't look pecked into the stone to me. Just my thoughts.

OP
OP

Feb 19, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the quick response! A bit of a bummer to hear, but as a rock hounder, I still find pleasure in keeping an unusual rock like this, even if it is just that. Have a good day!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too would have picked it up given it a good once over. I have picked up and brought home more rocks over the years than my wife ever thought was possible. Her flower beds, our fish pond, and the area around our out buildings are all covered in stones I have dragged home over the years. Some are artifacts or broken artifacts, some are fossils, and some are just neat stones. I think we all do it. lol

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
natural for sure

mogi

Nov 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey buddy - I myself do believe in fire starter stones. You can google something as simple as - How did the Native Americans make fire or Images of authentic Native American fire starters. Good post!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Take a magnifying glass and look in the bottom and sides of the hole, if you see striations, circular marks it was used for something, such as a drill cap.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I live in Fla. & used to hunt extensively. Not so much as I get older. Those types of stones in Fl. are very common. Made by softer material eroding out of the lime rock. Sorry no "fire starter". Good eye and there are shell tools found in that area all the time. Keep looking!

Martingeetars

Dec 16, 2009
The south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going out on a limb and saying this with the other replies of natural, that its the result of an echinoid that has eroded out of rock.

mogi

Nov 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I totally agree with you guys,but saying there weren't stone fire starters is Def Wrong! I personally have them with swirls and polish. Keep looking 867452. You are on the right track!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I totally agree with you guys,but saying there weren't stone fire starters is Def Wrong! I personally have them with swirls and polish. Keep looking 867452. You are on the right track!

Can you show them then please so that the OP can see what one looks like and all of us as well?

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to see these "firestarters" also. Besides the cap stone on a bow drill and a whirl. The bottom is made of wood. Start watching survivor shows. And quit guessing.

mogi

Nov 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I want to see these "firestarters" also. Besides the cap stone on a bow drill and a whirl. The bottom is made of wood. Start watching survivor shows. And quit guessing.

Now your guessing. Read how they even held these stones in their feet and turned the sticks with the palm of their hands. Not impressed with your comments either. They were making fires before the bow drill. How do you think they did it? Lets say they were out in the middle of nowhere with no bow or capstone. What then - Shoot a lightning bolt out their post deriaire?

Last edited:

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Now your guessing. Read how they even held these stones in their feet and turned the sticks with the palm of their hands. Not impressed with your comments either. They were making fires before the bow drill. How do you think they did it? Lets say they were out in the middle of nowhere with no bow or capstone. What then - Shoot a lightning bolt out their post deriaire?

Yeah let's these these "firestarters" of yours. Ought to be good for a laugh at least.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing beats looking at objects in a practical sense.
It's difficult to start a fire with a drill to begin with, so why would one use a crappy rock (with no coal chamber) when they could get a nice piece of wood and fashion an ideal medium in less than 5 minutes?
Try starting a fire with that rock and let me know how it works out!
100% natural stone but I would pick it up and think it's neat too.
:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread