I think I found my first gun!

Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
An old radio shack, simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a pretty good dig at a dump today p, including finding what I think is my first every gun, which was a big bucket lister for me! If you can tell me anything about it, like if it’s real or not or what date range it might be, that would be greatly appreciated.
image.jpg
The best find for me is definitely the gun. It is pretty small and very rusty and I have been unable to find anything about it. If you can tell me anything or tell me if its real o not, that would be great. I do not know so much about guns so I am not sure what to do. I am getting an electrolysis machine set up so I hope I can clean it up with that.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 19

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool!
Great find!
I found my first, a sawed -off. Shotgun!
What stories these guns have to tell us, eh?
Mine was too!! At the local park! Still haven't found the loot! 😄

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be fair, your statement above wasn’t responding about toy guns, but guns in general: “I don't really understand why so many people wish to find firearms.” Firearms were always valued by those who owned them in the past, for the reasons I listed above. So I’m sorry you feel that way about them.

In that case please avoid my recent post of a 150 year old “sissy pistol” .22 Colt I dug last week. Those guns were used for real self defense on steamboats and at close range like on a boat they could do plenty of damage—and they were a deterrent against robbery, assault, or cheating in gambling.

I appreciate the history of everything I dig, and I’m not swift to dismiss anything that I find. Enjoy your big boy guns and exploding things, and have a nice day.
I did see your frame you found, I'd call it a part, not a firearm. Yeah, those would have been good on a river boat for defense against river rats, the four legged kind. Those things shot a .22 with less velocity than a .22 short and would be useless against a big guy unless you got him in the eye, they would not penetrate bone and even thick clothing would slow them down. Back in the river boat days the .41 derringer was a preferred self defence, not a .22. I think people's imaginations run wild about old pistols, thinking there may be a criminal past to them or something else. As far as valued by owners goes, I think the cheap pistols were not really valued, I have friends who carry cheapo pistols today and they could care less if they lost them, they carry cheapos because they are cheap, and don't really value them. The past was no different than today. I also find no history in Lincoln pennies yet I dig many of them. Have yourself a great weekend!

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did see your frame you found, I'd call it a part, not a firearm. Yeah, those would have been good on a river boat for defense against river rats, the four legged kind. Those things shot a .22 with less velocity than a .22 short and would be useless against a big guy unless you got him in the eye, they would not penetrate bone and even thick clothing would slow them down. Back in the river boat days the .41 derringer was a preferred self defence, not a .22. I think people's imaginations run wild about old pistols, thinking there may be a criminal past to them or something else. As far as valued by owners goes, I think the cheap pistols were not really valued, I have friends who carry cheapo pistols today and they could care less if they lost them, they carry cheapos because they are cheap, and don't really value them. The past was no different than today. I also find no history in Lincoln pennies yet I dig many of them. Have yourself a great weekend!
Do you get a kick out of raining on someone's parade? Feel better now? So sad to me.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you get a kick out of raining on someone's parade? Feel better now? So sad to me.
Yeah an absolute jerk. And probably oblivious to the history of most of the items he digs.

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
is there a visible magazine (on the bottom of the grip)? if not then probably a toy. I still love finding toy guns though

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toy. I don't really understand why so many people wish to find firearms. I can see if they were ancient and found on a battlefield, but otherwise a rusted out firearm is pretty useless and valueless. I have several dug rifles in my avatar photo, didn't do a lot for me when I dug them up, I much prefer the artillery shells in the photo. The rifles are Spanish American war and worth little, the artillery shells civil war and valuable, I sold a bunch of them.
I read an article about a homestead near a swamp in the 1830's. Well, I found the swamp and a small stone foundation. I dug an octanal rifle barrel which I brought home and cleaned with electrolysis. This barrel is very valuable as it is local history. But, I guess at the same time, it is worth nothing as it didn't come from a battlefield.

hollARDog

Jun 18, 2022
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One man's trash is another man's trash, wait treasure. How ever the beholder sees it! F what anybody thinks🤘

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a pretty good dig at a dump today p, including finding what I think is my first every gun, which was a big bucket lister for me! If you can tell me anything about it, like if it’s real or not or what date range it might be, that would be greatly appreciated. View attachment 2042004 The best find for me is definitely the gun. It is pretty small and very rusty and I have been unable to find anything about it. If you can tell me anything or tell me if its real o not, that would be great. I do not know so much about guns so I am not sure what to do. I am getting an electrolysis machine set up so I hope I can clean it up with that. View attachment 2042006 View attachment 2042007 View attachment 2042008
those swirly marbles are awesome! nice digs

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread