Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least until thaw time. I went out today figuring I could find some unfrozen ground. Counting on my experience. :dontknow:

First I tried a hillside with a southern exposure, then I tried a couple spots in the woods. The last two weren't too terrible but I didn't want to fight with all those tree roots. Finally I found a spot where the grass is usually real long in the summer and it's not cut very often. That was okay but it was the last spot I tried at the end of my walk. And I was very very tired from digging in the ice! I haven't been this tired in quite some time! So I think I'll wait until it warms up a little bit before I go back out.

Anyhoo, here's the take from the last 20 minutes of my walk:
0125222237~2.jpg

You can tell I was tired I only concentrated on the easy targets.

0125222237b~2.jpg

0125222237a~2.jpg

Not sure what this is but it looked familiar to me.
0125222238~2.jpg

0125222239~2.jpg

I call this a new drop of something old.

Because it is a 1955, it gave me a chance to play with a new toy.
0125222242~2.jpg

0125222241~2.jpg

0125222240a~2.jpg

Not what I was hoping for but at least a bit of a filled die. :dontknow:
Anyway, thanks for peeking!
Stay warm & safe!

Upvote 34

Armstrong

Apr 24, 2020
Jurassic Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learned last year the thaw can't be rushed. It takes a long time even with a week or 2 of sun and decent temperatures to be acceptable digging conditions. My guide is the snow piles in the parking lots. Once they really start to melt fast is when the ground is usually ready.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least until thaw time. I went out today figuring I could find some unfrozen ground. Counting on my experience. :dontknow:

First I tried a hillside with a southern exposure, then I tried a couple spots in the woods. The last two weren't too terrible but I didn't want to fight with all those tree roots. Finally I found a spot where the grass is usually real long in the summer and it's not cut very often. That was okay but it was the last spot I tried at the end of my walk. And I was very very tired from digging in the ice! I haven't been this tired in quite some time! So I think I'll wait until it warms up a little bit before I go back out.

Anyhoo, here's the take from the last 20 minutes of my walk:
View attachment 2005808
You can tell I was tired I only concentrated on the easy targets.

View attachment 2005811
View attachment 2005812
Not sure what this is but it looked familiar to me.
View attachment 2005813
View attachment 2005814
I call this a new drop of something old.

Because it is a 1955, it gave me a chance to play with a new toy.
View attachment 2005815
View attachment 2005816
View attachment 2005817
Not what I was hoping for but at least a bit of a filled die. :dontknow:
Anyway, thanks for peeking!
Stay warm & safe!
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learned last year the thaw can't be rushed. It takes a long time even with a week or 2 of sun and decent temperatures to be acceptable digging conditions. My guide is the snow piles in the parking lots. Once they really start to melt fast is when the ground is usually ready.
Yeah, true enough. There are a couple things experience has taught me though. Such as; hillsides that have a constant southern exposure. They get the most sun and most of the water runs off before freezing. Also any overgrown spots during the summer tend to be a little warmer ground during the winter. Then, there's the woods with its leaf clutter. They tend to generate their own heat.

Anyway, there hasn't been a winter in my half century of detecting that I couldn't find at least one or two things. Pretty good if you ask me, cuz I *do* have to deal with the ice and snow every year.

:wink:

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is that piece? It looks familiar to me also. Like a finger key to an old cash register? IDK? :dontknow:

Way to go on the hunt. Only 7 weeks and 4 days until spring!
Yes, Milady. That would fit!

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well done !

I've done my share of Winter hunting - the bare ground and short grass areas freeze first.
I grind a sharp tip on my Digger and hunt in the woods where the ground is covered with lot's of leaves.
This usually allows you to hunt all Winter - if there's not to much snow on the ground.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is the first winter since I started detecting in 2015 that the ground here in eastern Maryland is too frozen in some areas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread