I thought the worse thing they could say was no…

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Their attitude immediately changed as soon as I mentioned “dig” and I was going to tell them the history of this area and what I do in a more in depth way. I told them I was an artifact collector and then told them I’d found artifacts in the past here from a past permission. I didn’t get to much farther after the word dig came out. I didn’t even get to finish my sentence before he kicked me out. Oh well. It happened, I’m past it at this point. Im disappointed that I lost this place, particularly since every single bottle I’ve pulled out of here in the past was blown in a mold. The only other place I can get bottles in dc (without asking more) pumps out mostly machine made bottles. All the blown in a mold bottles I’ve found there have always been broken.
Yep, I thought So. One Site A friend and I Got permission to Metal detect,
We had to Promise not to share Info with the Historical Society in that County.
he Planned to sell the site. Nothing can Worry a Landowner More then
a Hysterical Historian with their Posse of Warriors telling you, you Can't
do what you want with your Land !

I would suggest never to bring up digging or History unless the Landowner does first.

Imagine a landowner Who has Plans for his Property Picturing this

000aaa.jpg
000bbb.jpg
000ccc.jpg

Or Worse

000dd.jpg

Your a " Hobbyist " :coffee2:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fossil_adult

Fossil_adult

Apr 9, 2021
Detector(s) used
Got a Chinese knockoff brand off Amazon. Now I don’t know how to use it or where to even begin.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I thought So. One Site A friend and I Got permission to Metal detect,
We had to Promise not to share Info with the Historical Society in hat County.
he Planned to sell the site. Nothing can Worry a Landowner More then
a Hysterical Historian with their Posse of Warriors telling you, you Can't
do what you want with your Land !

I would suggest never to bring up digging or History unless the Landowner does first.

Imagine a landowner Who has Plans for his Property Picturing this

View attachment 2001346 View attachment 2001347 View attachment 2001348

Or Worse

View attachment 2001349

Your a " Hobbyist " :coffee2:
Ha ha that would be my dream! Unfortunately reality is more often disappointing, like the reality that in an hour I will be 4 wisdom teeth less! This is gonna suck!

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t know whether it’s good or bad. I’m beyond meditation, my mind works at one thousand miles per hour. I’m constantly looking at my surroundings, at the ground, for anomalies and potential for new grounds to collect. I can sit and research for hours, sometimes even days on end, and put my mind to work. Otherwise, it bounces around. It’s great use in the field and for research but it gets quite annoying after years and years of it. One answer comes up, 10 more questions. I don’t know what else to do about it other than medication, which isn’t going to happen. I’d rather have a mind going a thousand miles a minute than be zombified by prescriptions. Count me out. I’m so sorry your going through that, I know how much of a burden it can be to constantly be thinking all day. That’s all I’m doing. Thinking. Nothing I can do to stop it but it’s only better when it’s being used instead of letting it sit and fester. That’s when I go deep. Every little detail I can find, I can find little details inside those little details. It really can get quite tiring after a while. I just feel like nobody else gets it. They’re like “oh I get it your just over thinking it” well yeah, your under thinking it! Haven’t you wondered how it was all started? How it began? There’s no way it was just oblivion and sudden there there were stars. Does this guy running the show just leave small breadcrumbs and we have to chose to follow them? Or are we made with our own choices without outside interference? What if after this is over we’re part of something so wonderful and beautiful we can’t describe it? What if the whole universe is every living being who’s gone through life and now is part of this cosmic force, where their consciousness is part of the universe. What if we turn into something greater than our own bodies? These are the questions that I go into. This is just the surface, trust and believe it goes so much deeper, and I have a love/hate relationship with it. Oh well it’s better than not having ur own thoughts I guess.
I,ll soon be 70.I,ve had that kind of mind for all those years.Best I can say is instead of trying to"fix" it,embrace it,use that curiosity to search for answers.Just know and accept that you,ll never find all the answers,that,s not a bad thing either,if all things were answered what the heck would be left to seek. The day I run out of questions,that,s the day I,ll know I,m done. You,re different,I know,I,m different too.Be glad you,re different. It,s an asset not a problem. No meds for me either Bro,I like my mind just as it is,warts and all. Just my two cents,hope it,s worth it.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take it as a badge of honor when people call the police on me. This has happened (5-6 times) more than I'd like to admit and the police have usually been cool about it although I've been face down in the mud with a gun trained on me one time. and could have ended up KIA if I hadn't dropped my tools and detector. The LT showed up, we had a laugh and looked at my finds and he let the gung ho rookie know I wasn't up to no good.
Another time i had the police come onto private property where i was allowed to hunt and shake the homeowner and I down, collect our IDs etc after I asked the neighbor's handy man who was working in the lane if I could detect. He said I could ask the owner when the owner returned so I went back onto my permission, at which time the handy man must have called the police. Next time I am in the neighborhood i am going to ask that same neighbor but this time right before I pull out. I also may have to leave an impression if i see that handy man again. The back story here is that the neighbor may have illegally destroyed some historical buildings and may hope everyone forgot or is unaware. I'm not judging, I just want to get more dirt to detect. I also have a hard time letting go of a grudge and I need answers.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take it as a badge of honor when people call the police on me. This has happened (5-6 times) more than I'd like to admit and the police have usually been cool about it although I've been face down in the mud with a gun trained on me one time. and could have ended up KIA if I hadn't dropped my tools and detector. The LT showed up, we had a laugh and looked at my finds and he let the gung ho rookie know I wasn't up to no good.
Another time i had the police come onto private property where i was allowed to hunt and shake the homeowner and I down, collect our IDs etc after I asked the neighbor's handy man who was working in the lane if I could detect. He said I could ask the owner when the owner returned so I went back onto my permission, at which time the handy man must have called the police. Next time I am in the neighborhood i am going to ask that same neighbor but this time right before I pull out. I also may have to leave an impression if i see that handy man again. The back story here is that the neighbor may have illegally destroyed some historical buildings and may hope everyone forgot or is unaware. I'm not judging, I just want to get more dirt to detect. I also have a hard time letting go of a grudge and I need answers.
To quote John Wayne in Big Jake after the bad guy who was going to kill him said "no hard feelings" just before old John blasted him with a shotgun."The hell there ain,t"

OP
OP
Fossil_adult

Fossil_adult

Apr 9, 2021
Detector(s) used
Got a Chinese knockoff brand off Amazon. Now I don’t know how to use it or where to even begin.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m way to small to be tossed around by police. I don’t think DC police would be very understanding, and I don’t like dealing with law enforcement. So I just left. I’m not gonna be handcuffed on the side of the road just because I wanted to stand my ground. So far I haven’t had any bad run ins with the law (except when I was 8 but that’s another story, and totally not my fault) and I’m gonna keep it that way.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m technically an adult but until I get passed my teens I’m keeping the name. I however look extremely young so maybe he thought I was trying to start trouble or something. I know a lot of people my age can be troublemakers but I’m not one of those law breaking teens. I learned honesty is the best way, lying gets you into a deeper hole and then u have to cover that lie up with more lies and eventually it starts to not add up. I’ve been down that road and I choose to be honest, because it’s good to have good character and be reliable and trusted all the time. It’s so hard to admit when a mistake is made, it almost feels better at first when u cover it up and u think u got away with it. Nope. A day later, a month, a year, a decade, it always comes back. That’s why I’m always honest now. Because that’s what it means to be a man and own up to what you did.
Applause, applause....... as an old-timer, it is so refreshing to see/hear that the values of my generation are not completely lost on our youth. Thank you for reaffirming the values that I was taught!!!

stoneshirt

May 3, 2003
Santa Marta de Magdalena,Colombia
It’s interesting you say that because it was a military…na just kidding. It was some car recycling facility in DC. Some construction had been done so it wasn’t like I was trying to dig through their garden it was dirt and old blown in a mold bottle pieces exposed at the surface. I was just hoping that if this person has said no, they’d be a little more understanding. I’ve asked people for permission and normally there’s two answers I’ve just never had such a firey response. I don’t know what I could have said that would have elicited such a hostile response but I thought I did the right thing soooo idek. Maybe I presented myself wrong.
Are you sporting a Man Bun?..That could cause them Angst.

stoneshirt

May 3, 2003
Santa Marta de Magdalena,Colombia
I don’t know whether it’s good or bad. I’m beyond meditation, my mind works at one thousand miles per hour. I’m constantly looking at my surroundings, at the ground, for anomalies and potential for new grounds to collect. I can sit and research for hours, sometimes even days on end, and put my mind to work. Otherwise, it bounces around. It’s great use in the field and for research but it gets quite annoying after years and years of it. One answer comes up, 10 more questions. I don’t know what else to do about it other than medication, which isn’t going to happen. I’d rather have a mind going a thousand miles a minute than be zombified by prescriptions. Count me out. I’m so sorry your going through that, I know how much of a burden it can be to constantly be thinking all day. That’s all I’m doing. Thinking. Nothing I can do to stop it but it’s only better when it’s being used instead of letting it sit and fester. That’s when I go deep. Every little detail I can find, I can find little details inside those little details. It really can get quite tiring after a while. I just feel like nobody else gets it. They’re like “oh I get it your just over thinking it” well yeah, your under thinking it! Haven’t you wondered how it was all started? How it began? There’s no way it was just oblivion and sudden there there were stars. Does this guy running the show just leave small breadcrumbs and we have to chose to follow them? Or are we made with our own choices without outside interference? What if after this is over we’re part of something so wonderful and beautiful we can’t describe it? What if the whole universe is every living being who’s gone through life and now is part of this cosmic force, where their consciousness is part of the universe. What if we turn into something greater than our own bodies? These are the questions that I go into. This is just the surface, trust and believe it goes so much deeper, and I have a love/hate relationship with it. Oh well it’s better than not having ur own thoughts I guess.
Hello.
You are not "beyond" Meditation.(Grasshopper)....The Journey begins with the first Step....stoneshirt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread