I thought the worse thing they could say was no…

Fossil_adult

Apr 9, 2021
Detector(s) used
Got a Chinese knockoff brand off Amazon. Now I don’t know how to use it or where to even begin.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was walking by one of my old bottle collecting sites and found a 1897 bottle surface collecting. I asked permission to look around from who I thought was in charge and they said to wait for the boss to come by. I came back about an hour later with digging tools (not shown in my bag) and found the owner and asked this person politely if it was alright if I dug here and that I found things here in the past (from a past permission). They seemed flabbergasted at the question and told me way off, saying if I didn’t immediately leave that theyd call the police. I don’t know what I did wrong here, how could I have had a more positive interaction? I thought I was very polite in asking and told him that I would make sure I buried where I dug but I got a very angry response which I wasn’t expecting. What could I have done better?

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was walking by one of my old bottle collecting sites and found a 1897 bottle surface collecting. I asked permission to look around from who I thought was in charge and they said to wait for the boss to come by. I came back about an hour later with digging tools (not shown in my bag) and found the owner and asked this person politely if it was alright if I dug here and that I found things here in the past (from a past permission). They seemed flabbergasted at the question and told me way off, saying if I didn’t immediately leave that theyd call the police. I don’t know what I did wrong here, how could I have had a more positive interaction? I thought I was very polite in asking and told him that I would make sure I buried where I dug but I got a very angry response which I wasn’t expecting. What could I have done better?
You didn't do anything wrong. Some people are jackasses, or have a different perspective than the previous owner.

Many years ago I had some of my bairns with me and asked permission to hunt a cornfield for arrowheads. The farmer said go ahead so me and my children spent an hour or so looking for points. All of a sudden some guy screaming and foaming at the mouth ran down to the field and confronted me and told us we were trespassing and to get the hell out. He was the son of the farmer. I said we had permission. When we got back to the barn the old man said he never told us we could hunt there. Go figure.

OP
OP
Fossil_adult

Fossil_adult

Apr 9, 2021
Detector(s) used
Got a Chinese knockoff brand off Amazon. Now I don’t know how to use it or where to even begin.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You didn't do anything wrong. Some people are jackasses, or have a different perspective than the previous owner.

Many years ago I had some of my bairns with me and asked permission to hunt a cornfield for arrowheads. The farmer said go ahead so me and my children spent an hour or so looking for points. All of a sudden some guy screaming and foaming at the mouth ran down to the field and confronted me and told us we were trespassing and to get the hell out. He was the son of the farmer. I said we had permission. When we got back to the barn the old man said he never told us we could hunt there. Go figure.
Woah, that’s crazy. Normally when they say no it’s just that but this person was acting like I was a felon or something. I don’t think I could have been more respectful maybe they were mad at the fact that I mentioned artifacts or collecting here in the past? I don’t know but I’m very confused.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woah, that’s crazy. Normally when they say no it’s just that but this person was acting like I was a felon or something. I don’t think I could have been more respectful maybe they were mad at the fact that I mentioned artifacts or collecting here in the past? I don’t know but I’m very confused.
One thing you learn is that for most of the time, people's reactions are on them, not you. If you have been successful with the same approach in the past with other people, chalk it up to this particular guy have a bad day or a bad life. He's acting like he caught you digging without permission. It's not on you.

OP
OP
Fossil_adult

Fossil_adult

Apr 9, 2021
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing you learn is that for most of the time, people's reactions are on them, not you. If you have been successful with the same approach in the past with other people, chalk it up to this particular guy have a bad day or a bad life. He's acting like he caught you digging without permission. It's not on you.
Well I just wish it went better. I’m a little bummed I lost this place because it was one of my best but oh well. There will be others I guess :/

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked permission to look around from who I thought was in charge and they said to wait for the boss to come by.
Context is everything. Where and of whom were you requesting to dig?

Your asking to dig at an Air Force base would elicit a much different response then out back at Joe's Metal Fab.

OP
OP
Fossil_adult

Fossil_adult

Apr 9, 2021
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Context is everything. Where and of whom were you requesting to dig?

Your asking to dig at an Air Force base would elicit a much different response then out back at Joe's Metal Fab.
It’s interesting you say that because it was a military…na just kidding. It was some car recycling facility in DC. Some construction had been done so it wasn’t like I was trying to dig through their garden it was dirt and old blown in a mold bottle pieces exposed at the surface. I was just hoping that if this person has said no, they’d be a little more understanding. I’ve asked people for permission and normally there’s two answers I’ve just never had such a firey response. I don’t know what I could have said that would have elicited such a hostile response but I thought I did the right thing soooo idek. Maybe I presented myself wrong.

Riverbum

Jul 13, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I just wish it went better. I’m a little bummed I lost this place because it was one of my best but oh well. There will be others I guess :/
Keep this in mind while your young....you did this the RIGHT WAY, you have got to be proud of the fact, YOU ASKED...soo many do not. Continue asking ,since you've been rejected by ONE isn't a reason to stop or be dis-couraged and most likely will happen again, but there are plenty more who don't mind if you do search and you will find them. And your not the only one this has happened to in this Treasure hunting hobby of ours

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ask enough people and you'll encounter someone so similar only the name might be different.
In between who knows. You'll likely encounter a mix.

When you request permission as if it was a stranger asking permission of you and how you would be addressed , then the problem sure is not with you.

OP
OP
Fossil_adult

Fossil_adult

Apr 9, 2021
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask enough people and you'll encounter someone so similar only the name might be different.
In between who knows. You'll likely encounter a mix.

When you request permission as if it was a stranger asking permission of you and how you would be addressed , then the problem sure is not with you.
I know DC can be known for being rude but calling the police? I wasn’t even on their property I was on the sidewalk!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once spent years cultivating a relationship with the owners of this one gigantic place, got to the point where I could just wander in unannounced like I was a member of the family. Treated that place like a second home, had barbecues with them and helped with chores and stuff. Then one day they sold the place, new owners were strictly buisness oriented, no more fun or friendly atmosphere and bassically couldn't go there anymore. But I got 10 glorious years from the original owners. You don't realize how good it is until it's gone.

OP
OP
Fossil_adult

Fossil_adult

Apr 9, 2021
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! This first negative experience won’t phase me. I will still ask politely whenever a permission is in order and present myself is a kind, respectful way.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remain polite and respectful in your inquiries to get permission to search. Just know you are going to run into some people mad at the world and angry at everything! You did right! Keep it up!

OP
OP
Fossil_adult

Fossil_adult

Apr 9, 2021
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe someone dug without permission and trashed the site.
I doubt anyone else knew about this place. This was a fairly new pop up construction when I collected it in the past and the first people I asked seemed surprised, but they said yes. If anything, the only thing I saw was a bunch of needles strewn everywhere when I first collected, and I think that was related to the construction happening. I’m chalking it up to this guy having a bad day and taking their anger out, which I’m not even bothered by anymore. All u can do is be as respectful as possible, and not taint your own character by going against your own morals. I’m going to keep on collecting artifacts, and now I know that there’s potential for extremely negative reactions.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
2-Nokta/Macro Legend Pro Pack
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Nokta Pulse Dive 2in1 kit
Garrett AT Pro (not Used)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You did nothing wrong,
although my approach when I was hunting more I would strike up a conversation for a bit and then after a bit of getting to know each other then hit them with do you think it would be OK to do a little looking around and tell them what you do as far as metal detecting and searching for bottles and other interesting things, and then tell them you will show them all your finds and do not hide anything you find from their place from them, and they can have anything that you find most times you will get a yes, but there is always a chance someone you encounter will be a jerk
a lot of older adults perceive kids in a bad light anymore and when they encounter a good kid they really have no clue how to deal with them, I have always got along with younger kids and try to teach them rather than point out all the bad things they are doing don't know how old you are but just keep being you and always stay honest

OP
OP
Fossil_adult

Fossil_adult

Apr 9, 2021
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did nothing wrong,
although my approach when I was hunting more I would strike up a conversation for a bit and then after a bit of getting to know each other then hit them with do you think it would be OK to do a little looking around and tell them what you do as far as metal detecting and searching for bottles and other interesting things, and then tell them you will show them all your finds and do not hide anything you find from their place from them, and they can have anything that you find most times you will get a yes, but there is always a chance someone you encounter will be a jerk
a lot of older adults perceive kids in a bad light anymore and when they encounter a good kid they really have no clue how to deal with them, I have always got along with younger kids and try to teach them rather than point out all the bad things they are doing don't know how old you are but just keep being you and always stay honest
I’m technically an adult but until I get passed my teens I’m keeping the name. I however look extremely young so maybe he thought I was trying to start trouble or something. I know a lot of people my age can be troublemakers but I’m not one of those law breaking teens. I learned honesty is the best way, lying gets you into a deeper hole and then u have to cover that lie up with more lies and eventually it starts to not add up. I’ve been down that road and I choose to be honest, because it’s good to have good character and be reliable and trusted all the time. It’s so hard to admit when a mistake is made, it almost feels better at first when u cover it up and u think u got away with it. Nope. A day later, a month, a year, a decade, it always comes back. That’s why I’m always honest now. Because that’s what it means to be a man and own up to what you did.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions