I thought the worse thing they could say was no…

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I’m technically an adult but until I get passed my teens I’m keeping the name. I however look extremely young so maybe he thought I was trying to start trouble or something. I know a lot of people my age can be troublemakers but I’m not one of those law breaking teens. I learned honesty is the best way, lying gets you into a deeper hole and then u have to cover that lie up with more lies and eventually it starts to not add up. I’ve been down that road and I choose to be honest, because it’s good to have good character and be reliable and trusted all the time. It’s so hard to admit when a mistake is made, it almost feels better at first when u cover it up and u think u got away with it. Nope. A day later, a month, a year, a decade, it always comes back. That’s why I’m always honest now. Because that’s what it means to be a man and own up to what you did.
you sound like you had a great up bringing by your parents who taught you rite from wrong unlike my wifes grand children who were taught why work when you can just take what you want, i will not even allow them in my house and I dang sure would not leave anything of value laying around if I were to let them in

OP
OP
Fossil_adult

Fossil_adult

Apr 9, 2021
Detector(s) used
Got a Chinese knockoff brand off Amazon. Now I don’t know how to use it or where to even begin.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you sound like you had a great up bringing by your parents who taught you rite from wrong unlike my wifes grand children who were taught why work when you can just take what you want, i will not even allow them in my house and I dang sure would not leave anything of value laying around if I were to let them in
My “dad” decided to ditch me before I was even born. It’s too bad he missed out on so many memories. My mom has been wonderful and taught me so much about myself and life in general. I’m 19 years old and I’m already trying to learn to be humble. Though it’s difficult when I have so many questions. I would love to meet whoever created this universe and sit down and have a conversation with this being. I love delving into deep time beyond our perception. I wonder why we don’t strive to meet others around the galaxy, I struggle to find why, with our brilliant minds, we can’t strive for a deeper meaningful life than just getting money. Why should we be content with simplicity, there is so much I want to know about our existence and that’s what keeps me from being humble. It’s quite annoying but I’m sure there’s a way to quiet all my questions and realize that maybe there’s a simpler answer. Idek how I got down this rabbit hole but these thoughts keep me from being that humble person I strive to be.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
trust me at 62 years old i still have almost the same questions as you are describing, i will tell you that not to long ago i made an attempt at ending it all because of my questions that i have had for as long as i can remember, and because of something i had done quite a while ago that still haunts me to this vary day , which i posted up on another thread, i can tell you with out uncertainty that there is an unseen force that is watching over each and everyone of us i know this because of the attempt i made to end my life, you will always have questions that you will probably never get answers to, and you can not let them eat you up believe me mine have ate at me for years with no answers coming, i have felt alone for as long as I can remember, i do not know if this is of any help to you but I truly hope it does

OP
OP
Fossil_adult

Fossil_adult

Apr 9, 2021
Detector(s) used
Got a Chinese knockoff brand off Amazon. Now I don’t know how to use it or where to even begin.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trust me at 62 years old i still have almost the same questions as you are describing, i will tell you that not to long ago i made an attempt at ending it all because of my questions that i have had for as long as i can remember, and because of something i had done quite a while ago that still haunts me to this vary day , which i posted up on another thread, i can tell you with out uncertainty that there is an unseen force that is watching over each and everyone of us i know this because of the attempt i made to end my life, you will always have questions that you will probably never get answers to, and you can not let them eat you up believe me mine have ate at me for years with no answers coming, i have felt alone for as long as I can remember, i do not know if this is of any help to you but I truly hope it does
I don’t know whether it’s good or bad. I’m beyond meditation, my mind works at one thousand miles per hour. I’m constantly looking at my surroundings, at the ground, for anomalies and potential for new grounds to collect. I can sit and research for hours, sometimes even days on end, and put my mind to work. Otherwise, it bounces around. It’s great use in the field and for research but it gets quite annoying after years and years of it. One answer comes up, 10 more questions. I don’t know what else to do about it other than medication, which isn’t going to happen. I’d rather have a mind going a thousand miles a minute than be zombified by prescriptions. Count me out. I’m so sorry your going through that, I know how much of a burden it can be to constantly be thinking all day. That’s all I’m doing. Thinking. Nothing I can do to stop it but it’s only better when it’s being used instead of letting it sit and fester. That’s when I go deep. Every little detail I can find, I can find little details inside those little details. It really can get quite tiring after a while. I just feel like nobody else gets it. They’re like “oh I get it your just over thinking it” well yeah, your under thinking it! Haven’t you wondered how it was all started? How it began? There’s no way it was just oblivion and sudden there there were stars. Does this guy running the show just leave small breadcrumbs and we have to chose to follow them? Or are we made with our own choices without outside interference? What if after this is over we’re part of something so wonderful and beautiful we can’t describe it? What if the whole universe is every living being who’s gone through life and now is part of this cosmic force, where their consciousness is part of the universe. What if we turn into something greater than our own bodies? These are the questions that I go into. This is just the surface, trust and believe it goes so much deeper, and I have a love/hate relationship with it. Oh well it’s better than not having ur own thoughts I guess.

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once spent years cultivating a relationship with the owners of this one gigantic place, got to the point where I could just wander in unannounced like I was a member of the family. Treated that place like a second home, had barbecues with them and helped with chores and stuff. Then one day they sold the place, new owners were strictly buisness oriented, no more fun or friendly atmosphere and bassically couldn't go there anymore. But I got 10 glorious years from the original owners. You don't realize how good it is until it's gone.
Yeah, I had one I went to regularly over the years it took to keep three driving teenage daughters on the road. Bring my own tools. It was a decent yard.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don’t know whether it’s good or bad. I’m beyond meditation, my mind works at one thousand miles per hour. I’m constantly looking at my surroundings, at the ground, for anomalies and potential for new grounds to collect. I can sit and research for hours, sometimes even days on end, and put my mind to work. Otherwise, it bounces around. It’s great use in the field and for research but it gets quite annoying after years and years of it. One answer comes up, 10 more questions. I don’t know what else to do about it other than medication, which isn’t going to happen. I’d rather have a mind going a thousand miles a minute than be zombified by prescriptions. Count me out. I’m so sorry your going through that, I know how much of a burden it can be to constantly be thinking all day. That’s all I’m doing. Thinking. Nothing I can do to stop it but it’s only better when it’s being used instead of letting it sit and fester. That’s when I go deep. Every little detail I can find, I can find little details inside those little details. It really can get quite tiring after a while. I just feel like nobody else gets it. They’re like “oh I get it your just over thinking it” well yeah, your under thinking it! Haven’t you wondered how it was all started? How it began? There’s no way it was just oblivion and sudden there there were stars. Does this guy running the show just leave small breadcrumbs and we have to chose to follow them? Or are we made with our own choices without outside interference? What if after this is over we’re part of something so wonderful and beautiful we can’t describe it? What if the whole universe is every living being who’s gone through life and now is part of this cosmic force, where their consciousness is part of the universe. What if we turn into something greater than our own bodies? These are the questions that I go into. This is just the surface, trust and believe it goes so much deeper, and I have a love/hate relationship with it. Oh well it’s better than not having ur own thoughts I guess.
Wish i could give you the answers you are looking for but i am in the same boat as you

OP
OP
Fossil_adult

Fossil_adult

Apr 9, 2021
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish i could give you the answers you are looking for but i am in the same boat as you
It’s good to talk to someone who understands. I’ve been going through these thoughts for almost a decade now. I can’t imagine how long you’ve had it, but I know how much of a burden it can be. The more I go, the more I wonder. It’s really amazing how it never ends it just gets bigger and bigger. Good luck to you brother, I can only pray your mind rests. It’s been way too long.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would not discount the idea that there is illegal activity going on there and they want no one around. A friend and I stopped at a farm in KY and asked to look for arrowheads. Several people appeared with guns and ran us off in no uncertain terms. My friend found out later it was a marijuana growing operation.

dougachim

Jan 30, 2013
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived i the middle of nowhere for a while some years back. A guy I knew called and asked if I had any secret places to hunt he had some out of town company that wanted to go metal detecting ??? I told him to come out and I would show him a spot I thought was a homestead. They showed up and I told them I would go show them the site it was a couple miles away on a neighbors land and we had to walk. The people from out of town were not happy because they had 4 wheelers and they wanted to drive. We walked to the site and it turned out to be a Spanish Camp ??? with a homestead on top, and a Army Camp watching the Butterfield Trail when the Apaches were raiding on top of the homestead. I didn't own a metal detector at the time.
4 people ended up with 8 or 10 Walmart bags of stuff including tokens, silver Reales, 4" long brass crucifix (Spanish) and a cool knife. I found nothing, no detector. They left and a few weeks later I get a call to see if I had anymore spots and I said yes and I was going to buy a detector and I would take them then. My buddy was fine but his guests wanted to go so they came without him and parked miles away and drove their 4 wheelers to the 1st site thru 2 different properties took a fence apart so the could get their 4 wheeler under it. When they got their the owner showed up and ask them what the were doing, and they said I had given permission. The owner who knew how I felt about off road driving said that was a lie and ran them off. The next time I saw my buddy I told him I was pissed don't send any more turistas to my place and so he got mad at me. I don't give permission or show people I don't know well any of my spots anymore.

OP
OP
Fossil_adult

Fossil_adult

Apr 9, 2021
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not discount the idea that there is illegal activity going on there and they want no one around. A friend and I stopped at a farm in KY and asked to look for arrowheads. Several people appeared with guns and ran us off in no uncertain terms. My friend found out later it was a marijuana growing operation.
Hm yeah maybe. This person seemed extremely standoffish, which was super strange. Now that I think of it there might be a reason they ran me off with threatening police action, to make sure I didn’t come back. Or maybe they just didn’t want me there. Who knows. He seemed very guarded, and he was on the phone with somebody. Now whether he was protecting his property rights (which I’m all for) or something else, I don’t think we’ll definitively know but it sure was an extreme reaction.

Last edited:

Armstrong

Apr 24, 2020
Jurassic Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think some people are just overly defensive and nothing you say can change that. Years ago I was on a road trip with friends. We got lost while driving and decided to turn around. No Google maps back then. So we turned into a driveway and almost instantly a guy from the closest house came sprinting out with a gun. We were no threat but I would hate to see what that guy would do if someone looked at him wrong.

OP
OP
Fossil_adult

Fossil_adult

Apr 9, 2021
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think some people are just overly defensive and nothing you say can change that. Years ago I was on a road trip with friends. We got lost while driving and decided to turn around. No Google maps back then. So we turned into a driveway and almost instantly a guy from the closest house came sprinting out with a gun. We were no threat but I would hate to see what that guy would do if someone looked at him wrong.
Woah that’s a crazy story. That guy was probably trying to play the hero and just got off of watching John Wick or something. Not everyone is the US us friendly after all.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You did nothing wrong and asking for permission is the only way-period.

Not the best interaction that occurred with the recycler-but until you walk in their shoes and understand that one has to protect the goods so to speak.
In the world of scrap it's like protecting $$$ sitting around to be stolen.
I had a yard solid fence was 10'-12' high with barbed wire/cameras/dog and folks would still tried to rip me off.

So I'll say this again-you didn't do anything wrong.
Liability #1 issue
Theft #2
Seeing things that are just not for the public to see #3 (but it could be a chop shop outlet)
Having a bad day #4-Thinking back I had many, and if I was having a Scrapper moment you would of ended up with a response similar to what you received or you might of been a fresh breath of air to me since the world was throwing curve balls.
The recycling world is/was a real hard go-dealing with $$$-and everyone wants more of it with every thing that passes through the gate.
Your young, but you are a threat to the man that told you to scram.

But hitting a pin nail with a 20 lb sledge isn't warranted and it stings (at least to me)

I asked for permission to hunt a place many years ago.
Received the blessing of the Mrs
1.5 hrs into the hunt this man rolls up on me with a baseball bat.
Now I'm not a stupid street smart guy, I know when to hold them and when to run so to speak.
The bat was up and in no certain terms I was going to be the recipient of the response that was given to the hollering.
"What the arf are you doing!!!?"
"Get the arf off my property right now!!!"

I said: I have permission
Wow the comeback-took me back
"From who!!!"
The lady-I pointed at the Mrs that was standing in the doorway of the house
Response was : I don't give an ARF-you get the Arf off my property now!!!.

Bill? ( The mrs interjected)

"You shut the ARF up-and never interrupt me-now get the ARF out of my face"

I could only respond in one way-and I have questioned that response many times over the years.
I looked at the woman and said
I am truly sorry that I put you in this situation today, and I will never come back here again.

Found out later on that the guy was a total piece of work-probably needed some work done on the melon.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You're so right on the defensive part.
One of my best permissions is that way :dontknow:
Never knew that until I mentioned that I had a "Go anytime permission" to another farmer, from the family.

"Say what-wow-they'd probably shoot you for turning around in the driveway-let alone that they would even let you detect on the property"

OP
OP
Fossil_adult

Fossil_adult

Apr 9, 2021
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did nothing wrong and asking for permission is the only way-period.

Not the best interaction that occurred with the recycler-but until you walk in their shoes and understand that one has to protect the goods so to speak.
In the world of scrap it's like protecting $$$ sitting around to be stolen.
I had a yard solid fence was 10'-12' high with barbed wire/cameras/dog and folks would still tried to rip me off.

So I'll say this again-you didn't do anything wrong.
Liability #1 issue
Theft #2
Seeing things that are just not for the public to see #3 (but it could be a chop shop outlet)
Having a bad day #4-Thinking back I had many, and if I was having a Scrapper moment you would of ended up with a response similar to what you received or you might of been a fresh breath of air to me since the world was throwing curve balls.
The recycling world is/was a real hard go-dealing with $$$-and everyone wants more of it with every thing that passes through the gate.
Your young, but you are a threat to the man that told you to scram.

But hitting a pin nail with a 20 lb sledge isn't warranted and it stings (at least to me)

I asked for permission to hunt a place many years ago.
Received the blessing of the Mrs
1.5 hrs into the hunt this man rolls up on me with a baseball bat.
Now I'm not a stupid street smart guy, I know when to hold them and when to run so to speak.
The bat was up and in no certain terms I was going to be the recipient of the response that was given to the hollering.
"What the arf are you doing!!!?"
"Get the arf off my property right now!!!"

I said: I have permission
Wow the comeback-took me back
"From who!!!"
The lady-I pointed at the Mrs that was standing in the doorway of the house
Response was : I don't give an ARF-you get the Arf off my property now!!!.

Bill? ( The mrs interjected)

"You shut the ARF up-and never interrupt me-now get the ARF out of my face"

I could only respond in one way-and I have questioned that response many times over the years.
I looked at the woman and said
I am truly sorry that I put you in this situation today, and I will never come back here again.

Found out later on that the guy was a total piece of work-probably needed some work done on the melon.
That’s hilarious! I mean not that he got upset but the last sentence was funny. I’m just glad it was in DC and not some rural recycling garage otherwise if I ran into the guy with the same attitude he may have been packing some heat. I guess he thought I was trying to rip him off or I was just an annoyance. Either way it’s too bad because I didn’t come with negative intentions, but I feel bad for him because he must have dealt with so many people who have, that he thought I was just another crook trying to screw him over. Some people are really just sad with themselves, so whatever he was projecting, he must be feeling that way about himself times two. Anyways now I gotta go get my 4 wisdom teeth pulled at 11 today. So I have bigger issues to worry about than that guy. Yay. I can’t wait until I’m heaving into a bowl all night after anesthesia.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW So many Responses already, This may already be Said.

"May I Dig Here " ? are you Phrasing what you asked right ?
You asked to Dig ?
I Personally would have asked if I Could look around the Property for Old Glass .
Maybe Volunteer the Phrase I'm a Bottle Hunter & Wondering if I Could
Poke around the Property for Old Glass . & Never suggest I Will make Holes
Unless he Specifically Asks First.

Of course some people can be Asses . nothing will work . my Short Fuse is some stranger knocking at my door. sets me off all the time. approach me outside I'm wide open. but don't pest me when I'm inside.

of course in this case sounds like you may have met a greedy/paranoid sob,
at least at the wrong time. maybe the site looked like a minefield at some point
from trespassers. and "dig" set him off

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

You asked to Dig ?
I Personally would have asked if I Could look around the Property for Old Glass .

Of course some people can be Asses . nothing will work . my Short Fuse is some stranger knocking at my door. sets me off all the time. approach me outside I'm wide open. but don't pest me when I'm inside.

at least at the wrong time. maybe the site looked like a minefield at some point
I met a lot of scappers and the response would mirror the OP's experience

I could hear the follow up response.

" Really WTF like I would want some arfing .....to go digging around in the back!"
And all the employees would :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:
Seriously I wouldn't even let anyone in the back unless escorted.
It's a rough industry Jeff, and one will get it handed to them if not having a junkyard attitude.
The best day was the day I sold and retired.

OP
OP
Fossil_adult

Fossil_adult

Apr 9, 2021
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You asked to Dig ?

Their attitude immediately changed as soon as I mentioned “dig” and I was going to tell them the history of this area and what I do in a more in depth way. I told them I was an artifact collector and then told them I’d found artifacts in the past here from a past permission. I didn’t get to much farther after the word dig came out. I didn’t even get to finish my sentence before he kicked me out. Oh well. It happened, I’m past it at this point. Im disappointed that I lost this place, particularly since every single bottle I’ve pulled out of here in the past was blown in a mold. The only other place I can get bottles in dc (without asking more) pumps out mostly machine made bottles. All the blown in a mold bottles I’ve found there have always been broken.

OP
OP
Fossil_adult

Fossil_adult

Apr 9, 2021
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I met a lot of scappers and the response would mirror the OP's experience

I could hear the follow up response.

" Really WTF like I would want some arfing .....to go digging around in the back!"
And all the employees would :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:
Seriously I wouldn't even let anyone in the back unless escorted.
It's a rough industry Jeff, and one will get it handed to them if not having a junkyard attitude.
The best day was the day I sold and retired.
Funny you say that, the employees didn’t seem to give a shit when I was there. I’m sure they all had a good laugh about the whole situation :/

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Funny you say that, the employees didn’t seem to give a shit when I was there. I’m sure they all had a good laugh about the whole situation :/
No skin in the game.
But if they were my employees the response you got would have been
Kind.
They would get the walking papers.
No bones about it.
20lb sledge response.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread