I was a bit surprised!

HMS Beagle

Jan 28, 2007
wny
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250 :: Tesoro Compadre :: Equinox 800
The circuit board is just stuffed in there?!? And it appears sideways too. The relief cutout for the handle is positioned to the side. Is this normal?
There aren't any mounting holes in the board.

tesoroC.jpg

detectorcowboy

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800, & Fisher CZ3D
I opened my Fisher CZ 5 a long while ago and the inside the control box there was copper sheeting to protect against EMI.
I thought to myself that's why I can walk along the fence at a substation and not get any EMI interference.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was there a particular reason you opened it up?

CoinsAndThings

Dec 4, 2020
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't see a problem with it just sitting in the box. It's not going anywhere.

OP
OP
HMS Beagle

HMS Beagle

Jan 28, 2007
wny
Detector(s) used
I don't see a problem with it just sitting in the box. It's not going anywhere.
This is not a good practice. Now I know why wires break in these units. Aside from the fact that constant movement on the wire causes fatigue, this is just a box of short circuits that haven't happened yet.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One would think that the board would be screwed down like a motherboard in a computer.
Especially since MD's are "moved" alot etc... and i agree... it does seem odd.

Perhaps when set in place those posts hold board in place.
I for one have never owned that model and on 99% of the detectors i have owned i have never opened them so.... ? not sure if "normal" with this or not.

OP
OP
HMS Beagle

HMS Beagle

Jan 28, 2007
wny
Detector(s) used
One would think that the board would be screwed down like a motherboard in a computer.
Especially since MD's are "moved" alot etc... and i agree... it does seem odd.

Perhaps when set in place those posts hold board in place.
I for one have never owned that model and on 99% of the detectors i have owned i have never opened them so.... ? not sure if "normal" with this or not.
That was my first thought. But, nope, its just sitting in there held by only the wires. Then I thought perhaps someone was in here years ago(i got it used) but there are no holes in the pcb for mounting?!?

Reactions: ARC

giuhalftrack

Jul 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
BFO's (DIY), Tesoro Silver, Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
from the picture seams a compadre, I own the silver and the outlaw.. same thing they are all made like this.
the only detector that had a problem was silver (what i have used most of the time) the wires are rigid so they can snap.. this was what happened to me but consider that they snap because I have opened many times.

OP
OP
HMS Beagle

HMS Beagle

Jan 28, 2007
wny
Detector(s) used
from the picture seams a compadre, I own the silver and the outlaw.. same thing they are all made like this.
the only detector that had a problem was silver (what i have used most of the time) the wires are rigid so they can snap.. this was what happened to me but consider that they snap because I have opened many times.

Thanks! Seems like an odd manufacturing decision. Yeah it's a Compadre. I'm just in there to solder a resistor into the speaker line. It struck me so wrong when I first opened it I was genuinely confused for a second.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True, all Tesoro uMax have floating boards. It's a super-tight fit so it's not gonna move around. Never seen a board put in sideways, sounds like someone was in there before.

OP
OP
HMS Beagle

HMS Beagle

Jan 28, 2007
wny
Detector(s) used
True, all Tesoro uMax have floating boards. It's a super-tight fit so it's not gonna move around. Never seen a board put in sideways, sounds like someone was in there before.
It's entirely possible, the cutout is sideways(this is a rev_3 board, 7" coil) For now it's staying where it's been for the last 20ish yrs but with some foam in front and behind the board. When wires break i'll fix them. I didn't pull the board all the way out, wires were too stiff for that. I got just enough room to solder a pot onto the speaker pad.

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
That's normal.

Picketwire

Dec 10, 2017
SE Colorado
Detector(s) used
Lazer Trident SI, fisher gold bug, tesoro outlaw, mojave, compadre, stingray, teknetics t2 and omega 8000, fisher f2, garrett ace 250, compass judge 2, whites TRX, fisher F-pulse, Garrett carrot and r
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you read anywhere of people having a problem with wires breaking? The micro max units have been in production since 1983. The only thing I have seen on wires breaking is a warning from people who modify them to be careful when removing and working on them outside of the housing. Tesoros have proven to be very reliable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread