MrBlueSkyNM

Apr 18, 2016
New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got sat down this weekend... I was stunned! This seated dime has to be one of the first US coins to have been lost in my state and I’m sure it’s owner was a US soldier. This 1852 silver dime dates the time when US soldiers first began building forts in the newly acquired New Mexico Territories of the United States following the Treaty of Guadalupe. Holy smokes! Thanks for looking and GL&HH! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1571797534.384898.jpg

Upvote 52

dougachim

Jan 30, 2013
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got sat down this weekend... I was stunned! This seated dime has to be one of the first US coins to have been lost in my state and I’m sure it’s owner was a US soldier. This 1852 silver dime dates the time when US soldiers first began building forts in the newly acquired New Mexico Territories of the United States following the Treaty of Guadalupe. Holy smokes! Thanks for looking and GL&HH! View attachment 1764539
I have a 1846/48 /50 1/4 de Reales from Fort Fillmore, Dona Ana County New Mexico. I have another from Monticello Canyon That was with some Indian Wars era buttons I will dig it out and look at the date

dougachim

Jan 30, 2013
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@cudamark Good point, Spanish Colonial rule was indeed as far back as the 1500’s. However, during this time, trade with foreign countries such as the US was not allowed. When Mexico obtained independence from Spain around 1826 the Mexicans opened trade to foreign countries. That’s around the time when the Santa Fe Trail started to take off. Sure there were fur traders who were present throughout this time, but the New Mexico Territory did not have a way to utilize US currency. Silver and gold was probably the only valuable currency. Trade was mostly a bartering type of trading that was taking place during this time. Actually, bartering is pretty much how it was in NM as it is so rural. US currency really didn’t enter into New Mexico’s economy until the 1850’s. I will be hitting a unique permission along the Santa Fe Trail in a couple of weeks and hope to find more evidence of early US migration into New Mexico Territories. Wish me luck!
What did you find ???

dougachim

Jan 30, 2013
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got sat down this weekend... I was stunned! This seated dime has to be one of the first US coins to have been lost in my state and I’m sure it’s owner was a US soldier. This 1852 silver dime dates the time when US soldiers first began building forts in the newly acquired New Mexico Territories of the United States following the Treaty of Guadalupe. Holy smokes! Thanks for looking and GL&HH! View attachment 1764539
What Fort ???

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Best of luck to you on your permission site along the Santa Fe Trail, and Congrat's to you on a great save on the Silver Seated dime. Continued Success.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
big time gratz on a very cool find, well done!

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why we get up and go out with our machines...Nicely done..

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Whites GoldMaster e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worth $35-75, but historically worth much more, very nice find

rweathers1

Tenderfoot
Sep 8, 2021
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Simplex+,fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread