Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got permission to hunt around an old, abandoned house in Southwest PA (Westmoreland County) this weekend. I don't know when it was built. but it looks 1830/1840 by the construction. The area around the house is mowed and I know the caretaker. I had found a couple flat buttons, a tombac, and some pewter spoon pieces which gave me hope that there were older items here, but I wasn't prepared to see this turn up :headbang:
A button - dirt.jpg

What's a Confederate Block A artillery button doing in Southwestern PA? The most likely scenario is it was a souvenir a Yankee soldier brought home. This is my second Block A button, but I had to drive to Culpeper VA to find the first :laughing7:
A Button - sharp.jpg

Only ended up with four buttons, but a Confederate button is a great find in Civil War country, let alone up north.
Four Buttons.jpg

Here are all the finds. Plenty of modern coins, including two silvers, but nothing old. I still have a lot of ground to cover at this place though.
All - clean.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 77
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it will be killer site to hunt, bet there is seated hiding somewhere on that property. Great finds! Thanks for showing.
Yes, I am hoping for Seated or Capped Bust silver, but haven't even found an Indian Head penny yet.

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I am hoping for Seated or Capped Bust silver, but haven't even found an Indian Head penny yet.
I got a old site I've been hunting, old stuff is showing up, but the old coins have been elusive to me as well. I know they are here! It's funny how some sites you hunt, you find something that you never expect to find there. Hope next week you show us that seated or capped bust, even a big old copper!

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got permission to hunt around an old, abandoned house in Southwest PA (Westmoreland County) this weekend. I don't know when it was built. but it looks 1830/1840 by the construction. The area around the house is mowed and I know the caretaker. I had found a couple flat buttons, a tombac, and some pewter spoon pieces which gave me hope that there were older items here, but I wasn't prepared to see this turn up :headbang:
View attachment 2039529

What's a Confederate Block A artillery button doing in Southwestern PA? The most likely scenario is it was a souvenir a Yankee soldier brought home. This is my second Block A button, but I had to drive to Culpeper VA to find the first :laughing7:
View attachment 2039532

Only ended up with four buttons, but a Confederate button is a great find in Civil War country, let alone up north.
View attachment 2039533

Here are all the finds. Plenty of modern coins, including two silvers, but nothing old. I still have a lot of ground to cover at this place though.
View attachment 2039534
Steve congratulations on the Block A and I agree with your theory!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 2039529

View attachment 2039532

View attachment 2039533

View attachment 2039534
great save on that button, wtg

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2039529

View attachment 2039532

View attachment 2039533

View attachment 2039534
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 2039529

View attachment 2039532

View attachment 2039533

View attachment 2039534
Great hunt Steve! Congrats on your finds!!!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well Done Steve on the Confetrit' Block A artillery button. That was truly a great save of some CW History. I'm with you on the way this button made it's way up north. Most likely a souvenir taken by Federal soldier. Dang' Yankee's, Lol. This button is in great shape and will display well.

Last edited:

Jorgeke

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2021
View attachment 2039529

View attachment 2039532

View attachment 2039533

View attachment 2039534
Go for the next great findings 👍🏽

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That block A is sweet , the only one I ever found was in Stevensburg , Stevensburg is a small rural unincorporated community located at the intersection of Route 3 and Route 663 in Culpeper County . I agree yours finding it's way to P A is a bit more rare than ones from Culpeper.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A block "A". Now that would make my season right there. They are rare even here as not many block buttons come out of the ground with out crumbling.

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2039529

View attachment 2039532

View attachment 2039533

View attachment 2039534
Looks like you are off to a great start on that site. Thanks for posting those nice pics.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That block A is sweet , the only one I ever found was in Stevensburg , Stevensburg is a small rural unincorporated community located at the intersection of Route 3 and Route 663 in Culpeper County . I agree yours finding it's way to P A is a bit more rare than ones from Culpeper.
I also found Block A button on the Brandy Rock farm near Culpeper during a DIV hunt.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2039529

View attachment 2039532

View attachment 2039533

View attachment 2039534
That A block must have peaked your interest. What a great find! Look forward to seeing more of your recoveries!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions