Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got permission to hunt around an old, abandoned house in Southwest PA (Westmoreland County) this weekend. I don't know when it was built. but it looks 1830/1840 by the construction. The area around the house is mowed and I know the caretaker. I had found a couple flat buttons, a tombac, and some pewter spoon pieces which gave me hope that there were older items here, but I wasn't prepared to see this turn up :headbang:
A button - dirt.jpg

What's a Confederate Block A artillery button doing in Southwestern PA? The most likely scenario is it was a souvenir a Yankee soldier brought home. This is my second Block A button, but I had to drive to Culpeper VA to find the first :laughing7:
A Button - sharp.jpg

Only ended up with four buttons, but a Confederate button is a great find in Civil War country, let alone up north.
Four Buttons.jpg

Here are all the finds. Plenty of modern coins, including two silvers, but nothing old. I still have a lot of ground to cover at this place though.
All - clean.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 77

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

slammyz69

Apr 27, 2022
I got permission to hunt around an old, abandoned house in Southwest PA (Westmoreland County) this weekend. I don't know when it was built. but it looks 1830/1840 by the construction. The area around the house is mowed and I know the caretaker. I had found a couple flat buttons, a tombac, and some pewter spoon pieces which gave me hope that there were older items here, but I wasn't prepared to see this turn up :headbang:
View attachment 2039529

What's a Confederate Block A artillery button doing in Southwestern PA? The most likely scenario is it was a souvenir a Yankee soldier brought home. This is my second Block A button, but I had to drive to Culpeper VA to find the first :laughing7:
View attachment 2039532

Only ended up with four buttons, but a Confederate button is a great find in Civil War country, let alone up north.
View attachment 2039533

Here are all the finds. Plenty of modern coins, including two silvers, but nothing old. I still have a lot of ground to cover at this place though.
View attachment 2039534
How awesome being in Cumberland valley I find all kinds of military buttons never any confederate my oldest is a great coat button 1820 thought I missed two At a permission that were early 1800s. My favorite was a dragoon button that two other people I was with hunted the area and I waited till they moved on and went in and found it right away …

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve, the clothesline could have been a fence line back in the past, BUT, regardless of
the location of it, THAT can be productive if you can possibly locate it.
Thanks. I am aware of the potential under old clothes lines, but I didn't see any trace of one.

harleyformayor

Tenderfoot
Mar 30, 2020
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2039529

View attachment 2039532

View attachment 2039533

View attachment 2039534
I'm always so impressed with the history, and the great finds in your neck of the woods as well! Oklahoma seems to offer more old beer cans than buttons! Very cool!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread