I would appreciate it if anyone can help me with identifying this Maltese Cross. Thanks!

dyanashot

Greenie
Nov 8, 2020
Scranton, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cross 8-19-22.jpg

Upvote 14

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat. It's WWI.

Prussian Merit Cross, instituted 5 December 1916 and awarded for patriotic war aid service, without regard to status or rank. Assuming it's genuine and not a copy, of course. It should have this on the reverse, and I'm surprised you didn't show it to help identification (if it does in fact have the correct reverse):

Merit Cross 2.jpg

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat. It's WWI.

Prussian Merit Cross, instituted 5 December 1916 and awarded for patriotic war aid service, without regard to status or rank. Assuming it's genuine and not a copy, of course. It should have this on the reverse, and I'm surprised you didn't show it to help identification (if it does in fact have the correct reverse):

View attachment 2042371
It has seen better days, but looks real.

OP
OP
dyanashot

dyanashot

Greenie
Nov 8, 2020
Scranton, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Neat. It's WWI.

View attachment 2042371
Thank you Red-Coat! The reason I did not include the reverse is because it is exactly the same as the obverse. Both sides are identical. I found that this is a later version of the medal. Thank you again for identifying it. I appreciate it!

Attachments

• 8-19-22 Medal Found.jpg
    8-19-22 Medal Found.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
OP
OP
dyanashot

dyanashot

Greenie
Nov 8, 2020
Scranton, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Neat. It's WWI.

View attachment 2042371
Thank you Red-Coat! The medal I found is exactly the same on the front and back. Both sides are Identical. I found that it is a later version of the medal in your example. Thanks again for identifying it!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Red-Coat! The medal I found is exactly the same on the front and back. Both sides are Identical. I found that it is a later version of the medal in your example. Thanks again for identifying it!

You're welcome. I didn't know about the later version with identical sides. Learn something new every day. Thanks for that info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread