ID help for some Vermont foundation finds

Lauren of the Rings

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2022
Vermont
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone, this is my first season metal detecting the mountains of Vermont. These are some of the things I’ve been finding at foundations. I love learning about the history of the relics as much as I love finding them. I wondered if someone out there might help with some of these items. The silver ring looks hand made but I’m not certain and I’ve tried finding out about the button with the R on it but no luck- maybe Canadian militia? Why is there a hole in the King George II half penny? That rusty curved spoon has a perfect little circular hole in it too- what’s that all about? And what on earth is that dragon thing? If anyone knows anything, let me know!!

Attachments

• AF34580A-DC1C-46BA-90DB-0319DFC88DF8.jpeg
    AF34580A-DC1C-46BA-90DB-0319DFC88DF8.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 441
Upvote 21

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dragon thing is the side plate to an old musket, I think.

The button with script VR (Victoria Regina) & Victoria's Crown over it is British Military, I forget which regt, will look it up;
Royal Engineer Department - Officer & O/R's - 1837-1855

Hard to get into the mind of the person holing the Halfpenny KG.

PS. Just notice your new, welcome to Tnet.:metaldetector:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lauren of the Rings

Lauren of the Rings

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2022
Vermont
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The dragoon thing is the side plate to an old musket, I think.

The button with script VR (Victoria Regina) & Victoria's Crown over it is British Military, I forget which regt, will look it up;

Cool!!! The button and side plate info is awesome. Thank you!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dragoon thing is the side plate to an old musket, I think.

Agree. Welcome to Tnet.

What a nice group of finds.

Looks like you also have an American pre-Civil War infantry button there too. Some have a number in the oval below the Script 'I' and some not.

Infantry.jpg

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
You've done better in your first year than I have in the past 4 years here in Eastern NY. There are some nice buttons there, and you'll appreciate that Seated dime even more after you see how long it takes to find the second one! Finding cellar holes in these parts that haven't been picked clean by other detectorists is not that easy.

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a terrible first year. I'm only kidding. I'd be happy with any of those finds. I dig that early axe head. Look for a maker's stamp on it. Took me 5 years to get my first seated dime. Welcome aboard and keep the finds coming.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the buttons are Revolutionary War PERIOD, perhaps earlier. That said, they could have been discarded in the 19th century. People kept stuff a long time back then. The dragon side plate would be Rev War period or earlier. The holed coin is King George II. The "I" button is American war of 1812 infantry. The ring could be 18th or 19th century.

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, this is my first season metal detecting the mountains of Vermont. These are some of the things I’ve been finding at foundations. I love learning about the history of the relics as much as I love finding them. I wondered if someone out there might help with some of these items. The silver ring looks hand made but I’m not certain and I’ve tried finding out about the button with the R on it but no luck- maybe Canadian militia? Why is there a hole in the King George II half penny? That rusty curved spoon has a perfect little circular hole in it too- what’s that all about? And what on earth is that dragon thing? If anyone knows anything, let me know!!
Fantastic start to your detecting. Extremely jealous.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE FINDS :) I would also like to welcome you to Treasurenet

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've done better in your first year than I have in the past 4 years here in Eastern NY. There are some nice buttons there, and you'll appreciate that Seated dime even more after you see how long it takes to find the second one! Finding cellar holes in these parts that haven't been picked clean by other detectorists is not that easy.
You make a very good point, I focussed on the ID's, but these as 'starter' finds are great, let hope it continues for the OP.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow ... great finds - congrats !
Have you ever met Brad from "Green Mountain Metal Detecting" ?
He has a great series of video's on You Tube.

Welcome to the forum and good hunting !

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some really nice finds in the picture and they are all in great shape. Serpent side plates like that are tough to find complete like that and the War of 1812 era pewter infantry button is in amazing condition. I love the show buckle frame and the belt axe too.

Fredneck

May 7, 2005
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000, ORX, White's XLT, AT Gold for Fresh Water
Crushing it !! The ring appears to be crude and tempts me to say its circa is the same as the relics.

King Canslaw

Nov 30, 2017
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, this is my first season metal detecting the mountains of Vermont. These are some of the things I’ve been finding at foundations. I love learning about the history of the relics as much as I love finding them. I wondered if someone out there might help with some of these items. The silver ring looks hand made but I’m not certain and I’ve tried finding out about the button with the R on it but no luck- maybe Canadian militia? Why is there a hole in the King George II half pe, i love finnny? That rusty curved spoon has a perfect little circular hole in it too- what’s that all about? And what on earth is that dragon thing? If anyone knows anything, let me know!!
Bueteeful finds my fiend, i love fining buttoons an reliks of times longago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread