Identification HELP needed :)

MD'erStEvO

Feb 16, 2015
Vicenza (Military)
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 11" Coil, Bounty Hunter Platinum Edition, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good morn! I was out hunting on my buddies permission land and found this coin amongst many, but this one we can't identify. All the coins he's found in this specific field in Italy (Northern) date between late 1600's through 1800's. This doesn't appear to be from Italy either, but back in the day, many countries used Italy as a travel hub to and from their destinations, as well as took it over at various times in the past. Any help would be much appreciated. These are the best pics I could come up with so far. front of cross coin.jpg back of cross coin.jpg coin 1.JPG

Upvote 6
OP
OP
MD'erStEvO

MD'erStEvO

Feb 16, 2015
Vicenza (Military)
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 11" Coil, Bounty Hunter Platinum Edition, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The image in the middle (black background) has the backside of the coin which is on the right of the two coins in that image.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't ID it, but Spain come to mind, & it looks at least 1600s in date.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru'Dad thought this:

You thought the coin might be Spanish but there are similar designed coins with the Cross Pommee or a Latin Cross with a pellet in each sector made by the Messina mint in Sicily where that coin is more likely to come from. They can be found in the publication below and held by the Fitzwilliam Cambridge. Although these are Billon silvers In the catalogue an example would be example 770 of James I 1281-96 and example 834 of Martin I 1402-09.
[h=1]Medieval European Coinage: With a Catalogue of the Coins ..., Volume 14, Part 3[/h]By Philip Grierson, Lucia Travain

May help some-one’s research as to actual bronze equivalent.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread