collectorconor

Dec 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euroace
Teknetics EuroTek Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought this half-cut hammered a while back,and need help I'Ding it.Help me please
106_0225.JPG 106_0226.JPG Thanks,
collectorconor

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He knew that because its his namesake that minted it - the moneyer is WILLEM, shame we don't know the Mint.

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: Wish I was that knowledgeable, Learning every day though, Thanks Guys! SteelheadGVL :hello2:

Just learn to read it's reverse, but bear in mind they often joined letters to save space.

Upvote 0

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Now I see it clearly. even up until our Colonial era, trying to fit the design on coinage was
apparently a challenge. I really like the Massachusetts Silver issues that have backwards letters, misspellings etc.
(this continued up to 19th century button backmarks and apoth weights, the city 'Philadelphia' is often found with strange contractions and incorrect spelling, Philed, Fila, Filad and on)
Though diecutters were skilled artisans, they weren't necessarily literate, not much reading or writing was needed by most
of the population, signatures were often just endorsed with your 'mark'
Nice hearing from you, I still chuckle about our messages concerning my beginners luck Ducat.
Those were heady times, what a site for a new detectorist to stumble upon.. Best wishes & HH :hello:

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I see it clearly. even up until our Colonial era, trying to fit the design on coinage was
apparently a challenge. I really like the Massachusetts Silver issues that have backwards letters, misspellings etc.
(this continued up to 19th century button backmarks and apoth weights, the city 'Philadelphia' is often found with strange contractions and incorrect spelling, Philed, Fila, Filad and on)
Though diecutters were skilled artisans, they weren't necessarily literate, not much reading or writing was needed by most
of the population, signatures were often just endorsed with your 'mark'
Nice hearing from you, I still chuckle about our messages concerning my beginners luck Ducat.
Those were heady times, what a site for a new detectorist to stumble upon.. Best wishes & HH :hello:

I remember waterduketgate. You just had the profile of most scammers on here, so yes, you are one lucky so & so....lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Three years have passed and I'm still digging..
It amazes me that I'm finding things at sites that upon first searches I wrote off as hunted out and empty.
Took that long to aquire some skills to recover items from difficult sites.
I'm trying to explain to a new detectorist on my home site that experience and site selection are key,
he just can't accept that and keeps buying new machines thinking they will be the key to great finds :dontknow:
Cob Cove was a newbies dream, I probably never would have started searching that mud if the waterfront property owner had not told me she threw a gold ring out there. (Which I still haven't recovered, it must be right on top of a mooring)
Goin out to dig now, HH All :hello2:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread