Identifying the bronze cannon

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hello everybody,

A friend of mine bought several bronze cannons from a fisherman couple of days ago and he asked me for my opinion. They are different sizes, but the same design, all of them have the same crest of a crown with a cross in upper part and all of them have the same numerals - 1516. These numerals were not casted, unlike the crest, but they seem to be made with a machine. These cannons are to short to be swivel guns, too small to be ordinary board guns, to fat to be railway cannon, to big to be a signal cannons. They all have slight green layer but they do not seem to be under water (if they were at all) for a long time. My opinion is - they are fake, home made to attract some innocent tourists.
What is your opinion guys?

Thanks for your professional answers!

Best regards,
Lobo

Attachments

• cannons.png
    cannons.png
    226 KB · Views: 411

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
The guns are badly proportioned and the trunnions are in the wrong place- they won't balance correctly. And the cascables and muzzles are too big and again, badly in proportion to the rest of the gun. I would not argue with your analysis.

Smithbrown

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The first thing that I noticed is that the trunions are way too far back, the cascabels are too big, the muzzle on the right cannon is way too big, 1516 cannons and not one breech loader? The first reinforce and second reinforce are in the wrong place. Why would someone go to all this trouble to cast these cannons for a small profit?

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trunions are way too skinny and it looks like they are pinned in. Most features as stated above are not properly proportional. I hope your buddy didn't pay a lot for them.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Okay, Did I miss something? Is that a pair of shoes over on the right side of the picture? What are these things...maybe a foot long?

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
I think rgecy is right about the feet, in which case maybe it would be kinder to call them model souvenirs for tourists rather than out and out fakes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread