If not a sword,dont know what it is...

limenka

Dec 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20141214_174811.jpg IMG_20141214_174825.jpg IMG_20141214_174834.jpg IMG_20141214_174840.jpg IMG_20141214_174904.jpg IMG_20141214_174913.jpg IMG_20141214_174924.jpg IMG_20141214_174934.jpg

Upvote 6
OP
OP
limenka

limenka

Dec 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have just completely changed the situation :) nice thought but we can just guess...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not a spearhead... tis a sword.

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
limenka

limenka

Dec 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My new Aka Sorex Pro is on the way so will be visiting that place again,hope for something else....

CityDigger

Dec 30, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Garrett AT Pro
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Does anyone else feel like this just doesn't add up?

PlanMan

Greenie
Jan 5, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Butting In....

Sorry for butting in but I'm new to this site. I got on to see if anyone knows what this might be and this is the only sword related thread I could find. It's about 16" long and is tapered to a half circle-ish point. Straight along the top. It's slightly bent/bowed and flexs a little but seems to be solid and hec. Found in south Mississippi in a location where my mother used to find arrowheads. Looks kinda like a bayonet or dagger or short sword. I thought it might be a WWII Japanese bayonet brought back from the war or something?? Any suggestions on where to look for ID would be appreciated. I'm going to soak it for a while and may try the electrolysis if I can figure out how to. I do not think it is a file or machinery blade of some sort but the supposed sharp side is coated with rust so I can't even tell if it's tapered like a sword.... interesting though. My daughter was with me and she latched onto the idea that it's a sword! So, for now...it's a sword until we prove otherwise! 20150105_202845.jpg 20150105_202834.jpg 20150105_202824.jpg

Thommy

Mar 12, 2012
Northern Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus MF, Fisher 1266, Heathkit
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe it is a sword, but need measurements, close up photos of the blade and tang to be certain.

PlanMan

Greenie
Jan 5, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay - I am going to soak it for a while and re-evaluate, take some more photos. Thanks, I will repost as it becomes clearer!

PlanMan

Greenie
Jan 5, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jury is still out on this.

Here is an update after a three day soak. I took it out and cleaned it a little to break off the big stuff. Found a hole a few inches down from the tip so I took a picture of where it was and a closeup. The end of this thing is sharp but down past this hole seems more blunt but that may be from deterioration or something?? Anyway - I put it back in the soak for the remainder of the two weeks and will give it a little scrub every few days to see if anything reveals itself. I grew up around farms and have never seen anything like this on anything. I took a look at old mule plow configurations beyond my time and this doesn't really look like any brace metal to me, especially with a sharp end. So, still no idea about period or what it may be. 20150109_211550_resized.jpg 20150109_211134_resized.jpg

OP
OP
limenka

limenka

Dec 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,now that i have came off the museum with a confimation that this is a Roman-Germanic period sword 2-6 AD i am willing to sell it somwhere,what do you from Europe recommend??And thank you

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry for butting in but I'm new to this site. I got on to see if anyone knows what this might be and this is the only sword related thread I could find. It's about 16" long and is tapered to a half circle-ish point. Straight along the top. It's slightly bent/bowed and flexs a little but seems to be solid and hec. Found in south Mississippi in a location where my mother used to find arrowheads. Looks kinda like a bayonet or dagger or short sword. I thought it might be a WWII Japanese bayonet brought back from the war or something?? Any suggestions on where to look for ID would be appreciated. I'm going to soak it for a while and may try the electrolysis if I can figure out how to. I do not think it is a file or machinery blade of some sort but the supposed sharp side is coated with rust so I can't even tell if it's tapered like a sword.... interesting though. My daughter was with me and she latched onto the idea that it's a sword! So, for now...it's a sword until we prove otherwise! View attachment 1102661 View attachment 1102662 View attachment 1102663

corn knife used in farming, they are on ebay right now

DainBrammage

Apr 1, 2014
Desoto County, MS
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sure looks like a large taper file, but its too big for a file and as previously stated files are brittle they break they don't bend. Photos are too poor in quality. I am leaning towards a sword simply based upon the size of the tang.

genlee

Aug 20, 2011
Cascade, MD
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro & Fisher F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well

I believe it be what is called an Arming Sword or short sword, the bend is close to the tip and if you look at the blade on edge you clearly see it tapers. A file will be uniformly thick and actually I have some big damned files to which I have made blades from, and that is no file. The tang has the look of having been peened at some point. I would love to see an electrolysis done, because I am willing to bet the blade is pretty old. What area was it found and how deep was it, was a guard found any where close by?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread