Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detectorists definitely have a connection with the dead. We spend all our free time digging up coins and relics lost by people who died hundreds of years ago.

I always think about it whenever I dig a colonial shoe buckle, for example. The person who lost it has been dead for 200 years, but his buckle is still here and in my hands. People who don't detect will never appreciate some of the mundane relics I find, but I know they are special and worth saving...

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, Tom_in_CA, everything, including moral, culture and cultural patterns are subjective, whether we like it or not. The science it traying to bare the ojective truth, but it is so difficult that frequent proofs and protocols are required. But knowing the history, it was not very succesfoul either.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Unfortunately, Tom_in_CA, everything, including moral, culture and cultural patterns are subjective, ....
Great. Then since morality is subjective to societies and cultures, then :

You would be the first to agree that , at a time when our "society" and "culture" said Jim Crow laws were just dandy , then, presto , it was morally ok then. Right ? (This is your view, not mine) .

The examples can go on and on. And if you say : "No it was wrong for that society and culture to have Jim Crow laws": You are only stating you & your *current* society's preference. But you would have to agree that they were not "wrong" at the time. Since, after all, by your standard, that society and culture didn't see it as morally wrong.

I'm only taking your own-stated-views for a test drive.

Trust me : Any time someone wags their finger at moral evils in the world , they are invoking OBJECTIVE standards. Not subjective standards. If you follow that person around for a day, and take his statements for a test drive, they always crumble.

But I know full well why you can't bring yourself to acknowledge that there are objective moral standards . That are OUTSIDE and BEYOND what individual societies and cultures think. Because, we can't go there. We can't admit this. It has too many connotations. So we retreat to subjective and relative. All the while failing to see that this notion is self-defeating, the moment we open our mouths. We have "bumped into reality" the moment we call something or someone immoral.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is not my view, it's your view.

Tom, I thank you for telling me what it is I believe in. Don't know what I'd do without you. But in the interest of avoiding the censor's axe and keeping this thread on track, I'll decline to discuss it further.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Tom, I thank you for telling me what it is I believe in. ...
Was merely repeating back to you, your own words, put into the form of a test drive. And I suspect that you opine that the holocaust was objectively wrong. Not subjectively wrong. But sure, we can move on :)

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do ghost really exist? I believe they do, but only in individuals who are tuned in. By that they are invested from previous experiences to be tuned in to see or experience them. My personal belief are ghosts are a product of our memory and brains. I have seen fleeting glimpses of my deceased wife disappear around a corner in our house. Of course still live in this house and those brief sightings were in the months after her passing when I was living alone and missing her terribly. But to me they were no less real.

There is no doubt that Terry and his squad members were tuned in and could see what others would probably not have seen. By tuned in, in 1975 as infantry soldiers in Germany they had to be well aware of the the massive amounts of military history and suffering around them that occurred in WWII. I am not trying at all to demean what they saw. Just offering up one possible explaination.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live on an ancient Indian camp. Sometimes I think I see someone from the corner of my eye? I never say anything about it, family would freak out!
I don,t know man,I say each to his or her own,i still say some spirits or souls rest uneasily,especially those of Soldiers or Sailors or Marines and Airmen who died in horrific battles,and all battles are horrific to those involved,even the little known ones.I demean or make fun of no ones beliefs in this area.

23Scooter

Greenie
Mar 23, 2021
Westmoreland County, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, CTX 3030, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was working at an old dental office in Parkersburg, WV disconnecting some equipment. I had my headphones on while I worked. I was the only one in the building, having had let myself in with the key the customer gave me. As I was knelt down disconnecting some plumbing at the floor I saw someone walk past the doorway out of the corner of my eye. I took my headphones off and said “hello?” but I received no reply and couldn’t hear anyone walking. I went to the doorway and looked either way up and down a long, dark hallway but there was nobody there. The exits were far enough away taht somebody wouldn’t have been able to reach them without sprinting. I went and checked all the dark rooms to see if somebody was messing with me, but they were all empty. It rattled me a bit, so I hiurried up and finished. When I took the key back to the new office I gave it to the dr’s assistant and told her jokingly that I was glad they moved because the old office was haunted. She didn’t even blink and replied that “Oh yes, that’s Mabel the cleaning lady”. The assistant said that she was the cleaning lady there for many years and had passed about 5 years ago or so. Every since her death she’d heard noises and footsteps when she was the only one in the building. She even said that she’d heard “Mabel” running the sweeper a couple times. I guess Mabel was just checking on me to make sure I wasn’t making too much of a mess. I told this story to one of our other techs who worked in that office regularly, and he had a couple similar experiences.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread