If you were to start all over....

Rick Dangerous

Sep 12, 2018
St. Albans, VT
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you were to start all over in the hobby of metal detecting and treasure hunting, what would you do differently. I am trying to learn from more experienced folks on here and avod spending 5, 10, 15 years or more doing something wrong or looking in the wrong places by hearing what you have to say.

If you started all over, would you use different equipment, focus on different types of artifacts (say, look for gold vs relics.) What would you do and focus on knowing what you know now?

There is no wrong answer, and greatly looking forward to your thoughts :)

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd watch more videos and actually read the manual for the detector I got before going out and just trying. I was doing a lot of things wrong at first, now I have to go back and hit those spots again.

Or possibly find someone to show me the ropes local.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I only wish I had started detecting in the 70's. An old friend of mine started after high school with an old White sold by Western Auto. He just about had the area to himself. He's died since but he knew more about soil, mineralization, tones,kHz, etc. than I'll ever know. And with that machine mentioned he had a vault full of silver and rings. Most of my premissions today he hit years ago. I still manage finds he missed but if I could only go back. It's a great sport.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wouldn't have changed a thing. When I started in '80, I bought the top of the line Whites (6 D/B). Had an experienced Mentor I hunted with. And I learned to research and study sites in person before hunting. And to touch on what Rook said...My Mentor was the best! Swung a Whites 5000 n 6000. Could call targets correctly 95% of the time. Knew tones better than anyone I've ever seen. He used water cooler bottles to store his finds...Had one nearly filled with just silver, another 1/3 filled with jewelry. If he said it was a silver quarter at 4-5"...it WAS a silver quarter at 4-5"! LEARN. YOUR. TONES. 😁

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would have started when I was younger, in my hometown Plymouth MA.... I’d have a roll of Pine Trees by now

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As previously said, I would not changed anything except I wish they had detectors when I was much younger. Just remember to detect where you don't think it would be a good spot to detect. Sometimes you will be surprised.

Last edited:

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
The only thing I would change is that I would of joined Treasure Net sooner. You guys have been great and I've learned and am learning much more than I ever would of by not joining.

Thank You!

Kace

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stat younger and swing slower

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can think of a couple of things I would do differently - 1. I would have started by 1970 instead of 2007 . I was aware of detectors in 1970 because I was an avid coin collector by then and saw a lot of ads for detectors in all the coin magazines back then . 2. I would never have made the mistake of tresspassing on private property to detect , as I did 3 or 4 years ago . That decision has cost me dearly !

BobTheDigger

Jul 7, 2016
SW PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, I would make a test garden. This is a great way to learn some tones and what happens with those tones when you start adjusting settings. You'll also get a feel for how your swing effects the tone.

Second, I'd learn to slow down and work a grid pattern. When I started I would zig-zag through a site in a few hours and think I found it all. I've since gone back to these same sites many times and worked them slowly in grid patterns. Its a real eye-opener when you work an area in one direction and dig a few good targets, then work the same area in a different direction and find a few more!

dig deeper now

Jul 10, 2013
fulltiming rv'er anywhere in the 48 states
Detector(s) used
Safari MINELAB, minelab pin pointer,lesche left sided teeth ,Lowe's short shovel,12'' sand scoop 5x9 in. 2900 battery
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for ghost towns in your state-- has to be some they would have older coins than most places because they are older towns, old money hence old town. I was thinking old silver dollars-halves- quarters- dimes from older times-- than now. write down all finds in a small book, helps by knowing what is to what could be there. Did that and it helped a lot, bring the small book with you on a hunt, learn faster than not knowing what's there. HH

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I would read the manual so I could learn how to turn it on. I went years, swinging that heavy Ba$T@*D and it wasn't even turned on!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you live in an old state - it has very old cellar holes and very old farm fields
years ago - most guys that hit cellar holes - hit just around the cellar holes - like it was a normal yard
in colonial times - those people would have own a lot of acres - even though a cellar hole has been hit yrs ago
try hitting out from some - you may be surprised - many guys hit old farm fields yrs ago - they thought they were cleaned out - NOT. I have fields that have been hit by tons of guys and each year - though the finds are fewer- we
get stuff ever time it gets turned over. Try and get permission to hit some - one of the best places to get
old finds and one of your better places to turn up a rare find or 2.
Learn your machine!!!
I started hunting at age 12 in the 70s - I had a cheaper all metal machines - others had Whites 5000-6000s
I would slow down and hunt in all metal - where they would use high discriminate a lot and they losted depth and
missed finds. Starting out - I believe you should dig it all - learn ALL the tones - not just the good ones
cant tell you how many times ive gotten a broken or bad signal - dug anyways and got something good
those 5000/6000 did not like nickels or white gold much in discriminate. I told a story recently on another
post where I went to a drained lake and it was hammered by a bunch of guys mainly using those
machines and I got in there late as was told by many I would not find anything - they had cleaned it out
I went in and found a ton of pulltabs they discriminated along with a dozen nickels and 2 white gold rings.
One being a large band. I went over to a few guys and dropped them both down - small ring they could not get at
all - the larger they got a non favorable sound.
I gotten many nice items with or under large iron or aluminum cans others passed up or refused to take out
including many gold rings.
I was mainly a land hunter from 1975 to 1995 - like 90%
now I'm mainly a water hunter like 90% of the time
if I could do it all over again - would have got into water earlier and more
I hunt with my water machine in all metal still and try and get everything
good & bad - then you don't have to wonder if you left something behind

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As has already been stated, wish I had started sooner. I’ve always been consumed with anything Motorcycle but since finding this hobby I’m splitting my time. I egarly anticipate my first winter as a detectorist since my riding takes a hit when it gets cold. First time in my life I’ve ever looked forward to winter.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
as others have said wish I would have started sooner started in 2009 and purchased two detectors which I have been happy with have never felt a need to up grade and as old digger stated hunt where you least expect some thing to be if people have ventured into an area there is always a possibility they have lost something

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only regret that i have is that i didn't got in this hobby when i was younger. All those last years!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first metal detecting was in the early 80’s with a cheap detector that couldn’t find anything that wasn’t practically sitting on the surface. I did find a few rings, though, and a lifetime supply of bottle caps. I loved detecting but was too self conscious about people looking at me and so gave it up for more than twenty years. Wish I would have had a better detector and really wish I would have stuck with it.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wished I would have asked permission to hunt all those virgin old house lots back in those late 70s early 80s instead of hunting only along the sidewalk strips.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
If I had it to do over.....

I'd certainly have purchased fewer detectors! Can only use one at a time. My Fisher 1260X which I bought circa '84 or '85 is fully as capable as any I've ever owned.

Geez, only have 7 detectors right now.

EDIT: Don't do like I did.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Although I took a break from detecting for a while, I originally started out back in the early 1970's with a technology that is way outdated by today's standards. For someone starting out today however, I would have to say: be aware of who you're getting advice from. A lot of people mean well, but they generally give advice based on the type of hunting that they do, which could be completely different from the type of hunting that you do (or plan on doing). There a lot of factors that affect the choice of machines that we use and the way we hunt with them. Getting the right advice can save you money from buying the wrong equipment, and time wasted in the field. That doesn't mean that you can't get very good advice on the forums, but for someone starting out however, I recommend finding experienced hunters in your area that do the type of hunting that you plan on doing. Detecting clubs are good for that. For those who are looking to buy a new machine, there are some good, knowledgeable dealers who can steer you in the right direction.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread