Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am impressed with this post. It is about as impressive as knocking over the local car wash's coin dispensing machimes

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, you can order Ikes, yes you can often order them from Brinks/Garda/etc. No, it is not in the online order form. Yes, whoever orders the coin will actually have to speak with someone and specifically ask for them. No, Brinks/Garda/etc doesn't always have them, it depends on the branch and who is taking coin orders.

eldeaco

Oct 7, 2012
I was able to do this a few years ago, and did get $200 in Ikes. But my tellers now say they can't specify Ikes.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I know my coin shop gives me 1.05 for every ike dollar I turn in. So I collect any I find and on the way to work, stop on by, sell them to the coin shop and get a couple of quarters or dimes. I shudder what would happen if I went to turn in a 1000 dollars worth though.

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
I might try at my new bank. I have only hear of a handful of guys able to get them and a couple of them are no longer on the forum. Kevinbomb I am interested to know how you went about getting your bank to order them. PM me if you would like to share. Chances are there is no silver but you never know depending on region.

golden silver

Senor

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As has been pointed out before, the Fed ships and receives bagged coins only. They will not accept it in boxes. The coins are rolled and boxed by the coin processors to ease counting. Here is the Fed showing examples of how coins have to be deposited.

Your bank can order a semi trailer full of coins. How fun would that be. Ikes can be ordered from the fed, you just have to call ahead. These screen shots were taken from the Fed's directive on how to process money, which is at this link.

large coin orders.jpg

coin orders.png

You guys may remember when $800,000 in quarters was being shipped in a semi in 1993. Some thieves decided to steal them but only got a little more than $80,000 (3700+ pounds). Here is that story.

Favorite line from the story is "The drivers told investigators that, for security reasons, they told the motel clerk they were hauling $800,000 in currency."

canaboy123

Sep 22, 2011
N/A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe that is truly for ordering, because when we order we do not GET pennies in $50 bags. they come in $25 boxes. When we order halves, they come in $500 boxes, not $1,000 bags. So although it may say "and ordering", something is not right, as banks can't order the other denominations in the sizes mentioned either.

These are ordering and depositing figures when depository institutions garda,brinks,loomis order coinage when there central cashvault runs low in stock.

They are then rolled and boxed,i highly doubt theres a rolling and boxing machine for ikes so when they arrive i get them in either a $1000 canvas sack(only happened once) or two coinloks both have grey seals on them and identification on what federal reserve bank they came from.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread