Im a simi-finalist :) ( It just keeps getting better )

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
I'm a simi-finalist :) ( It just keeps getting better )

Update: Below

Hello all,,,
I received some good news today about one of my photos. Some of you may remember seeing it here on Tnet. It's one of the best shots I have ever taken so I entered it into the Rate My Photo contest at Picture.com

This is a quote from an email I received today:
Jeff,

After thoroughly reviewing and discussing your photograph, I am pleased to inform you that our Selection Committee has advanced your contest entry, "First to Bloom," to semi-finalist in the International Open Amateur Photography Contest.
First_to_Bloom.jpg

Your photo will now be automatically entered into the final competition, where you now have an excellent chance of winning one of over 114 cash or gift prizes, including the $1,000.00 Grand Prize. You may even win the $10,000.00 Annual Grand Prize!

And that’s not all! In celebration of your unique talent, we also wish to publish your photograph in our forthcoming anthology series . . . Endless Journeys

Endless Journeys will be a classic, coffee-table quality hardbound volume that is printed on fine-milled paper specifically selected to faithfully reproduce the unique texture and character of your photograph.

"First to Bloom" was selected for publication because of its unique perspective and your artistic vision. We believe it will add to the importance and appeal of this series. You are under no obligation whatsoever to submit any entry fee or subsidy payment, or to make a purchase of any kind.

Of course, many people do wish to own a copy of the anthology in which their artistry appears. If this is the case, we welcome your order and guarantee your satisfaction. This finely crafted volume makes an excellent addition to any home, a treasured family keepsake, and a highly valued personal gift. Go here if you would like to purchase the anthology featuring your photo.

Jeff, let me assure you, your image remains your property; Endless Journeys is copyrighted as a compilation. The copyright notice for your photo is published in your name. This means that you retain the copyright to your own work of art.

You should also decide if you’d like to have some personal information about yourself and your photo included in this elegant edition. Many readers have told us that one of the most interesting and enjoyable parts of the anthology is learning about the artists and the stories behind their photos. You may give the reader this added perspective about you and your photo by including this information in a special section of the anthology set aside for this purpose. Although we must charge a nominal fee for this service, you are under no obligation to include this information. Your photograph can be published without it if you wish. Please see the order form for further information. (This feature is only available to book buyers. You will be able to add an Artist's Profile once you order your book.) We look forward to reading more about you and your photography!

Jeff, you should be genuinely proud of your accomplishment. Of the thousands of photographs we see each year, only a fraction can be published. We are pleased that "First to Bloom" will achieve the recognition that a national publication can give it. And, if you order Endless Journeys, we are so confident that you will love both the quality of the edition and the way your photograph is presented, we can proudly offer an unconditional money-back guarantee. If for any reason you are dissatisfied, simply return the book to us within 90 days and your money will be promptly refunded.

Again, congratulations, Jeff. We feel you have a special talent and look forward to the publication of your photograph, "First to Bloom."

Not sure how much of this is to simply get me to buy a copy of the book, but it would be nice to see my photo in print, it's definitely something I never thought would happen. I would like to buy the book to add the additional information although I don't think I can come up with the extra cash in time to do so and I'm not sure what the additional fee would add up to either... I may just try to buy a copy later on...

Re-edited: Forget about this crap:
I guess the photo is still in the original contest as well and I didn't see anything about trying to get votes not being allowed in the rules, so if you would like to Rate My Photo, and help me possibly win a daily contest you can do so by following the link... If you do vote, please, simply give your honest opinion. Thank you...
Hope you all are doing well and have a great day, Leon...

Old_Okie

Jun 14, 2007
Re: I'm a simi-finalist :)

Congratulations!

Cool pic and good to be recognised.

Old_Okie

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250

Congratulations, Leon,

That is quite an accomplishment. I wish you all the best of luck with it to win big. It is a beautiful pic.

Ray karenray08

Johnny Bravo

Nov 2, 2006
WI

Not a bad picture at all. I wouldn't take the contest thing as too much, think it's just a way to get money out of people. I did something like that too way back when, try to sell you on the book then say your picture is in and want you to buy tickets to go for hundreds of dollars. Never did anything on it, didn't see it worth the bother or money. Any interest in my picture, its the middle one in the first row of pictures. http://www.infiltraterz.com/jfkdorm.html

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Thanks a bunch all...
Ashleen, thank you for the vote, it is truly appreciated...
Johnny, I'm with you. I hope the selection committee isn't watching ;D but, what better way to get someone to buy a book than to put something about them in it. I do feel somewhat honered that the photo stood out enough to be recognized and will evidently be published, but $70 is a lot of money to us po-foke... ;D The price of the book should go down considerably before too long so I think I'll wait and see before buying a copy... Also, that's a great shot. I love black & white photos. Interesting site as well and I'll be going back for a closer look when I have the time...

Thanks again all and if I hear any more about it I'll be sure to give an update.
Have a great day, Leon...

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

How about you? A real celeb among us! :icon_sunny: Great news Leon, and when you are rich and famous I can tell folks that I know you and once you gave me a pinpointer, that I still use by the way. Great photo and I am glad to hear it, all kidding aside. M :thumbsup: nty

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats, Leon :thumbsup: Those Mandevillas are beautiful flowers, mine is still in full bloom.

:wink: RR

Wicked Wanda

Feb 29, 2008
Apple Valley, CA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Ace 250 , & Pro Pointer

:notworthy: Great pic and I am so happy for you. Wish you the best in this adventure, going to the link now to vote!!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Thanks again everyone,,,
Monty, I am so glad to hear the pinpointer I give you is still working... ;D
I still don't really have the need for one with they way my machine pinpoints on it's own, but there have been a few old square nails that have given me a fit... They're usually sitting off to the side of the hole I dig, somewhere... :tongue3:
Have a great day all,,, Leon...

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania

Great picture BUT before you ever send them any money for anything, PLEASE do a google search and read up on picture.com (poetry.com) scam. This is not a legitimate contest, they want your money.
I did the poetry.com thing. I went as far as writing the check to purchase a book (and recieve a few awards that I won).
All these awards I supposedly recieved are just pictures in an email, nothing was ever sent to me in the mail except a letter (same thing the email said) to order copies of a book that has my poem printed.

As I tore the check from the checkbook, I heard the word "scam" so I did a search and found a ton of info that was'nt good. They email almost everyday with some "New" award and now telling me im a Distinguished Member with Member benefits ...Oh that is IF I pay a membership fee! I have emails if you want to read them, I'll be happy to send them.

Please don't be taken by this, and please dont send them any money.
http://www.trap17.com/index.php/picture-com-scam_t34164.html

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great Picture. Be careful about who you send money. Scams are very cleaver and are everywhere. Check out anyone who wants money up front. I have heard of scams like this before with art show entries. Being an artist I would not send money for someone to "publish" my works in an unknown book or one of questionable or unknown reputation.
Congradulations but be careful. :icon_study: :coffee2:

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don't buy the book. I hate to do this but I've seen this scam before.

It's been done with poems as well.

They advertise a contest,you submit for the contest, they tell you your photo or poem is in the book, and it is, and you might win the contest, which you will not. They get your money for the book. You paid to publish your photo in the book if you buy a copy. Money flows to the writer, photographer, not away from.

Of course the catch is that they get you all excited about your photo being in the book to get you to buy the book to show your friend how special your photo was. It's a scam for writers. Notice how they egg you on to buy the book?
Notice how they say unless you buy a copy you can't include info about who took the picture? Scam.

Hey, don't hang the messenger. Don't buy the book.

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TeddyB1967 said:
Great picture BUT before you ever send them any money for anything, PLEASE do a google search and read up on picture.com (poetry.com) scam. This is not a legitimate contest, they want your money.
I did the poetry.com thing. I went as far as writing the check to purchase a book (and recieve a few awards that I won).
All these awards I supposedly recieved are just pictures in an email, nothing was ever sent to me in the mail except a letter (same thing the email said) to order copies of a book that has my poem printed.

As I tore the check from the checkbook, I heard the word "scam" so I did a search and found a ton of info that was'nt good. They email almost everyday with some "New" award and now telling me im a Distinguished Member with Member benefits ...Oh that is IF I pay a membership fee! I have emails if you want to read them, I'll be happy to send them.

Please don't be taken by this, and please dont send them any money.
http://www.trap17.com/index.php/picture-com-scam_t34164.html

Right on!

Should be info On Absolute write about the poetry scam. Same kind of deal, and most likely the same people.

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Re: I'm a simi-finalist :) ( Update )

Update:

Jeeper's,,, It's worse than I thought... >:(
Thanks for the heads up guys. I figured it was simply to get me to buy the book, but from what I have been reading you'd be lucky to even receive it, if you did pay them for it... I wonder how a site like that can continue to operate with so many complaints about them?

Here's an update they sent me just the other day... I don't guess I won anything because I didn't see my name on the list of previous winners... Go figure...

Not long ago you entered a photograph in Picture.com's International Open Amateur Photography Contest, (I didn't enter it into that contest, they did. I entered their daily contest... ) and you may be wondering about the results of the contest. If you haven’t already done so, please check out Picture.com and go to the "previous winners" tab at the top of the page. There you’ll see the entire list of all of our past winners, and you can even view their award-winning photographs. We hold a contest every month and update our winners regularly. Don't forget to check our website often for the latest list of winners.

I want to thank you for your submission of "First to Bloom." It’s pictures like yours that make our monthly contests so competitive. Each day, our editors review countless photographs and we appreciate your contribution.

Furthermore, we have extended the publisher's pre-publication discount to ensure that every contributor has the opportunity to own a copy of the book in which his or her photograph will appear. And, Jeff, you don’t want to miss this one! Each book is a photographic time capsule, a slice of different cultures and memories bound together to make a wonderful keepsake. For less than what it would cost for dinner for two, you can have your very own copy to treasure and share with family and friends.

Once again, Jeff, the Endless Journeys series promises to be an exclusive, widely enjoyed collection of photographs, and it is sincerely our pleasure to be able to include "First to Bloom" within it. Go here to order.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Bryan
Managing Editor

P.S. Do not miss out on this special pre-publication discount price! Go here to order this one-of-a-kind collection.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted... ;D
Maybe if the book actually does go to print, and my photo is in there, I can get a copy somewhere for a lot better price than what they want... Although picture books are my kinda books,,, $69.95 is a whole bunch of money. I could by me a new set of headphones for that...

Thanks again all,,,
Have a great day, Leon...

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I'm a simi-finalist :) ( Update: Below )

Leon I am so glad you found out it was a scam before you lost $ on it. It is a beautiful pic maybe put your own album togeather and see about intrest from legit publishers doing it!

But also go to a book store and have them look it up and you order thru them.

Also you might try local library if they have past copies or a currant sometimes they will order one and you can look at it if your pic is in it then try the bookstore to order your own. A library will normaly do this if they have a local intrest in this type of book.

Then of course there is always ebay ir craigs list.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread