I'm Back!

SleauxMan

Greenie
Mar 30, 2020
Houston, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20201203_144050_HDR.jpg

Back in high school, I had an old Bounty Hunter. I wasn't very good with it but I found some items. I stopped for 40+ years and recently decided to get back in. I had watched many YouTube videos including most of the ones by The Hoover Boys. On my birthday this year, Garrett introduced the Apex! I figured it was a sign! On November 30th, I ordered it from Kellyco. A couple of days later, while taking a break, I was watching a THB Best Finds Compilation video (from 9/4/2019) when my doorbell rang. It was my Apex! Thanks for piquing my interest!

Now I just need to decide on the best shovel!

[I don't know why the image is rotated but it rights itself when clicked]

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Welcome back! Man, not detecting for 40 years, how could you? Anyhow, the Apex is a fine general all around detector. I have been having a lot of fun and success with mine. Good luck!

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Mentally, you were already back as you joined up here in March 2020. All I can say is welcome back, good luck, and have fun.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome back. Predator Ranger with D handle is the best shovel on the market, in my personal opinion. Thanks for watching THB.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Feels good to be a kid again and having a car to get around. Good Luck!

OP
OP
SleauxMan

SleauxMan

Greenie
Mar 30, 2020
Houston, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, here's a follow up! Recap: Started watching YouTube metal detecting videos (the one that got me hooked was from CA Relic Adventures) and started watching "The Detectorists." I joined TreasureNet in March of 2020. I ordered a Garrett Apex on 11/30/2020. I was watching The Hoover Boys when it arrived on 12/02/2002. I didn't use it until TODAY (01/16/2021)!! (I had promised to get some important things done before starting something time-consuming.)

Today, I went to help a customer set up his new printer (I'm a computer consultant). I had previously mentioned to him that I was going to get a metal detector and asked if I could hunt in his yard. He said, "sure!"

The appraisal district says that it was built in 1966 but I believe it’s decades older than that. The owner says it’s 85 years old (but he only bought it a few years ago). It’s also on that city’s registry of historical homes.

Anyway, after getting his new printer set up, I headed out to my truck and got my Apex, headphones, and shovel (I ended up buying the Lesche T- Handle 36" Heavy Duty Metal Detector Shovel Double Serrated Blade). I didn't bring my pinpointer (rookie mistake). I didn’t know WHAT I was doing!

The thing was chirping, quacking, clucking – it was noisy. I’m sure I just don’t know how to adjust the settings yet. First hole – 39. That wasn’t the signal strength, I actually found a 3 and a 9 - modern stick-on numbers that you might put on a mailbox. The next hole – GOLDen (looking through my transition lenses) piece of something (I think it was brass and perhaps a finial of some sort – unimportant to this story).
20210116_200254.jpg

As I continued, the numbers were all over the place. I didn’t dig many of them because I didn’t know how to pinpoint very well and I didn’t have much time today. I went into the back yard and started swinging near what looked like the post of an old clothesline. Couldn’t pinpoint anything.

As I started to head back to my truck, I kept swinging. I hit a signal and decided to dig it. By this time, I wasn’t even paying attention to the display much. I don’t think I actually got it up in the first plug – I had to expand a little. What popped out was definitely a bucket lister!! A 1924 Peace Dollar!

20210116_164402.jpg 20210116_164418_HDR.jpg

I think I searched a little longer on the way to my truck but all I could think about was what I had in my pocket! I’ll definitely be heading back - soon!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread