I'm reaching the breaking point with Oak Island ...how bout you ?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeff...
Don't miss this next one !

I heard they found something yesterday...

Starbucks coffee cup from 1995 !

:P
NARRATOR:
"A Starbucks cup. Perhaps named after the main character in a 19th century Hermin Mellvile novel? And if so, could ancient aliens have left this as a clue that . . . " Well, you know the routine by now.

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus /Teknetics T2 Classic/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NARRATOR:
"A Starbucks cup. Perhaps named after the main character in a 19th century Hermin Mellvile novel? And if so, could ancient aliens have left this as a clue that . . . " Well, you know the routine by now.

LOL.. LOVE it!!! I love mocking the narrator with my own made up, totally ridiculous hypothesis. To me this is THE most asinine part of the show. The "spike" episode has put the show on my "one more hokey claim and I'm done" list. The latest episode added a new category to the enough is enough list, TOO much rehash.

Is it just me or does it seems to anyone else that this past episode was the worst one yet for eating up time with flashbacks and opening rehash? Since I DVR the episodes I almost rewound it in order to time the amount of new footage versus old. I changed my mind figuring I could waste my time on more fruitful efforts like dropping an ice cube on the kitchen floor and watching it melt! I'm pretty convinced that this will be my last season!

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone noticed how much the Oak Island TV Show announcer sounds exactly like the announcer/narrator from the old 1960's Batman tv show?

Youtube it and check it out if you are not familiar. Its all I think about when I see that show.

Not to be a troll or anything. But, has anyone noticed that their experts really have bad habits with their techniques? A recent one showed a proclaimed metal detector expert who was swinging such wide paths that he probably only detected a path every 18 inches back and forth. Or the sonar guy who in one flashback said he was 90% certain of a man made object that disappeared when they did the sonar again.

I would like to honor the treasure hunter who just passed that lived on the island. Say what you will, that guy was dedicated to his belief and lived where he could enjoy doing his lifelong passion. This may sound morbid and I do not mean it to. But, the show narrator speaks of some legend where one more had to die. Would this guy's passing count towards that? No disrespect meant by this.

I wonder if the Lagina winery sales have gone up that the younger brother owns.

Hmmmm,

P.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think more actual treasure would be found if we showed some of us raiding the coinstar reject tray!
...might be more entertaining too! I hear some of you can do a real mean happy dance! [emoji1]

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has got to be the worst treasure hunting show on television. I can't bring myself to watch it with the round table revelations.

Last edited:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only time I watch it is by mistake or too lazy to reach for the remote while eating.

They always try to keep you from running before a commercial by a "Wow, oh my god, what was that I saw in the murky water 200 ft down ?? It looked something like a glimmering gold cross !!" Then they pan to the amazed, dumbfounded, confused, hopeful faces [all forced], cut to the break and I reach for the remote.
Its got way too much of a reality show feel to it complete with script, I'd rather waste my few spare moments watching ice road truckers, pawn stars or even people dumpster diving.

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still think the narrator sounds like the one from the old Batman show.

Here is a youtube link that has the narrator voice on it. The guy on Oak Island must have learned voice inflection from him.

Enjoy.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last time I was bored to tears I watched it. I think that was during Ole Bummers address or something. Pretty bad when the commercials are better than the program....

I got an idea! Typed out a letter saying I can't believe you're wasting advertising money on such a terrible show. And I wonder if your advertising dept thought that if they put money into a faked up show people would think their product is second rate or fake. AS of this episode I'll not be watching anymore.

Every time a commercial comes on I google the product and fire off a cut n paste of the letter. Wonder if a bunch of us did that the advertising $$$ would dry up? Remember YA GOTTA HAVE FUN WITH IT!!!!!

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Like I have said before, I only watch the last 10 minutes of "Rehash Island" that way I only see 5 minutes of commercials and 2 minutes of something new, and 3 minutes of what they find next week. This in my opinion is the best way to watch this boondoggle of a program.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
It is a reality show guys, the object is to stay on the air, get paid by the channel who in turn sell advertising time to make more money to make a profit.
Have you noticed how many commercials run during this thing?
It seems to me a few more than others but I might be wrong.
After the first reality shows appeared and they figured out how much cheaper these are to produce than regular content that has been the tube since tv began the doors were opened, the dam broke and now we have what we are seeing today...more reality shows than any other kinds.
Especially on the secondary channels.

Lots of people believe American Idol and all its incantations around the world was a show about making stars of unknowns that couldn't catch a break any other way.
It never was...it was always designed to be a product to make money and it did this in a huge way hand over fist for both Fox and the show's producers.
From the crazy amounts they charged for ad time, and got, to the money they received from every phone call when fans called in to vote this was a money making machine of the highest order...what happened to the participants was always secondary, and then they figured out how to make a ton of money off the top ten and the winners anyway after the season was over.

On other reality shows like the dating ones, the screwed up family ones, those kid beauty pageant shows, the housewives, the hair dressers and most others it is the drama orchestrated by the producers that they believe will suck people in and bring them back week after week.
And most of it is scripted and orchestrated if you read any of the behind the scenes articles about all of them.
It must work...way too many of them stay on the air way too long.

On these treasure hunting shows they have to show something, some progress or people will just get bored and quit watching.
On this show the progress is very slow or they use a hint of a clue and embellish that to extremes to make us think they are making progress.

A dagger with ties to the Knights, a coin, an odd piece of metal from a deep hole, coconut fiber from a site with no coconut trees...all really nothing but they try to make you think it could be something.

The episode where they go looking though basements of old buildings was weird but it filled up most of an episode.
How many divers are they going to send down those holes looking for anything that might be important but haven't found as yet?

The experts come on and always find some sort of clue, I might be mistaken but I have heard that most Minelabs need to swung slow to get deep and lock on targets well, funny how theirs was swinging his in wide paths missing much real estate at a speed that reminds me of a hockey player speeding down the ice on a fast break.
Still managed to find metal, surprisingly.

Did anyone catch the one where relatives of the first three that dug a hole on that island in an indentation in the earth under a tree showed up with a small gold cross to show the brothers?
Supposedly it came from one of the three treasure chests those original three found when they dug that first hole...that treasure chest information was new and oddly came at a time when all their efforts still showed nothing and the show was becoming even more boring than usual.

I watch this show because despite it all it still is slightly interesting to me, not in a great enjoyment way but more of a passing by a car wreck on the side of the road and I am forced to look, sort of thing.
I am not proud of that but I am human and for one hour at night in the middle of the week try as I might I still can't seem to find anything better to do.

Maybe one day they will actually find some real treasure, maybe those Treasure Island people too.
It could be Todd Hoffman will eventually stop being a clueless, hopeless asshat and be successful, and Parker will grow up, stop going into hysterics when problems arise and learn to get along with human beings as well as he does with his dog.
We can only hope.

On the other hand I see ads now where they are bringing back to tv that train wreck pedophile loving pig of a mother of that Honey Boo Boo kid so the human race as a whole still might be doomed.

As they say..."That's Entertainment!"
Or at least what passes for it in the 21st century.

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a reality show guys, the object is to stay on the air, get paid by the channel who in turn sell advertising time to make more money to make a profit.
Have you noticed how many commercials run during this thing?
It seems to me a few more than others but I might be wrong.
After the first reality shows appeared and they figured out how much cheaper these are to produce than regular content that has been the tube since tv began the doors were opened, the dam broke and now we have what we are seeing today...more reality shows than any other kinds.
Especially on the secondary channels.

Lots of people believe American Idol and all its incantations around the world was a show about making stars of unknowns that couldn't catch a break any other way.
It never was...it was always designed to be a product to make money and it did this in a huge way hand over fist for both Fox and the show's producers.
From the crazy amounts they charged for ad time, and got, to the money they received from every phone call when fans called in to vote this was a money making machine of the highest order...what happened to the participants was always secondary, and then they figured out how to make a ton of money off the top ten and the winners anyway after the season was over.

On other reality shows like the dating ones, the screwed up family ones, those kid beauty pageant shows, the housewives, the hair dressers and most others it is the drama orchestrated by the producers that they believe will suck people in and bring them back week after week.
And most of it is scripted and orchestrated if you read any of the behind the scenes articles about all of them.
It must work...way too many of them stay on the air way too long.

On these treasure hunting shows they have to show something, some progress or people will just get bored and quit watching.
On this show the progress is very slow or they use a hint of a clue and embellish that to extremes to make us think they are making progress.

A dagger with ties to the Knights, a coin, an odd piece of metal from a deep hole, coconut fiber from a site with no coconut trees...all really nothing but they try to make you think it could be something.

The episode where they go looking though basements of old buildings was weird but it filled up most of an episode.
How many divers are they going to send down those holes looking for anything that might be important but haven't found as yet?

The experts come on and always find some sort of clue, I might be mistaken but I have heard that most Minelabs need to swung slow to get deep and lock on targets well, funny how theirs was swinging his in wide paths missing much real estate at a speed that reminds me of a hockey player speeding down the ice on a fast break.
Still managed to find metal, surprisingly.

Did anyone catch the one where relatives of the first three that dug a hole on that island in an indentation in the earth under a tree showed up with a small gold cross to show the brothers?
Supposedly it came from one of the three treasure chests those original three found when they dug that first hole...that treasure chest information was new and oddly came at a time when all their efforts still showed nothing and the show was becoming even more boring than usual.

I watch this show because despite it all it still is slightly interesting to me, not in a great enjoyment way but more of a passing by a car wreck on the side of the road and I am forced to look, sort of thing.
I am not proud of that but I am human and for one hour at night in the middle of the week try as I might I still can't seem to find anything better to do.

Maybe one day they will actually find some real treasure, maybe those Treasure Island people too.
It could be Todd Hoffman will eventually stop being a clueless, hopeless asshat and be successful, and Parker will grow up, stop going into hysterics when problems arise and learn to get along with human beings as well as he does with his dog.
We can only hope.

On the other hand I see ads now where they are bringing back to tv that train wreck pedophile loving pig of a mother of that Honey Boo Boo kid so the human race as a whole still might be doomed.

As they say..."That's Entertainment!"
Or at least what passes for it in the 21st century.
Let's not forget the "Edited for entertainment value" disclaimer that'd pop up on the screen. That was their go to spiel if you complained how they twisted what you said to reflect the opposite. Like I said, send the sponsors / advertisers emails. Gives you something to do while you watch & hopefully advertisers will stop dropping money in their laps. The saying "Hit em where it hurts - the pocketbook." applies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread